Re: MMI Locos Holding Up?

  • Dan Peterson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
      JC,

      I assume that when you are talking about a decoder you are referring to DCC correct? I have an inside valve K-27 (second run K-27), K-28, K-36 and K-37. All MMI. I don't plan on using DCC but plan on using Tsunami sound. What issues with lighting will I have to contend with? I have sent an e-mail to soundtraxx but as of yet have not heard back from them. End of year holiday time off I suspect.

      Thanx,

      Dan
    • Fred Folk
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
        Mornin,
        Wehad about 4' so far, 3' came at one time.
        Fred
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
          On my c-19s, I hooked up an output from my TSU and the marker lights burned it out.
          Was advised to hook them directly to the track power which I did. I removed the cab light and the head light is fine off of an out put.
          Rich

          www.RichardSJohnson.net

          "Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."

          To: on3@yahoogroups.com
          From: Vetapass@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 04:51:10 +0000
          Subject: [on3] Re: MMI Locos Holding Up?

          Fred,
          When you put a Tsunami in an MMI K-36, I heard there are issues with burning out decoder functions when you hook up all of the lights using the MMI diode boards. Have you had any problems with yours and did you remove all of the MMI installed electronics when you installed your Tsunamis?
          Thanks, and Happy New Years!
          Gordon

          --- In on3@yahoogroups. com, "Fred Folk" <freddrgw@.. .> wrote:

          > Hi Brian,
          > We have 14 MMI locomotives on the railroad, 5 of the first 27's have been running fine except for a few rivets in valve gear coming out. The 19's I don't hace any problems with the 28's some shorting problem with the trailing truck wheels shorting, they were rubbing the base of the floor but we took care of that.
          > The 36's and 37's don't have too much time on yet.
          > Have more problems with decoders than anything and this something i"ve been working with Soundtraxx and this mostly minor problems.
          > We have made up a locomotive service book has a page for each locomotive and it has lube date and any problems we have had and what the fix was. Locomotives get major servive once a year unless a problem shows up.
          > Anyway this is how we keep track of the locomotives.
          > We do the same for all the rolling stock.
          > Fred

        • Glenn476
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2010
            We finally got some significant rain in the Shasta Valley--1.34"--probably more than all if December--Most of the storms are going around us--hitting the Sierra Nevada or further north into Oregon.  We'll take all we can get--but prefer it spread out.

            When I went south the beginning of October, Shasta Lake was only rivers.  A couple of Chico State students that were working the Blue Goose with me got out on what is left of the lake in a boat this summer and found several of the tunnels on the pre-Shasta Dam  SP main.

            As long as it is reasonably nice next Friday--have to go over the mountain to pick up Karen.  gj

          • zul36@aol.com