Two Questions/ Painting and Ground Cover

  • mhart90@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi Gang,
      I have two questions hope you all don't think they are two stupid. Question one: I bought a San Juan Kit on ebay, stock car, the plastic in the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover. Any suggestions on what I could use and get locally? I am having a hard time finding a suitable ground cover like decomposed granite.
      Thanks in advance:
      Alan
      Springfield, MO.
      The only On3 modeler in this area!!
    • Curt
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
        Alan,

        All questions are good ones!
        What geographic area are you modeling? How large is your layout (it might bear on what material you choose such as a commercial product or something someone could send to you).
        I'll let someone else tackle the stock car question (I have some I haven't built yet). I'm sure there are a lot of good tips on painting and weathering them, both in the literature and personal experiences.

        Curt

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mhart90@..." <mhart90@...> wrote:
        stock car, the plastic in the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover. Any suggestions on what I could use
      • nmrammr1999
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
          Alan,

          What I got when I lived in New England was the dirt from a pitchers mound. In general they use a light colored dirt mixture that is close to what the majors use.

          Kurt S. Kramke

          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mhart90@..." <mhart90@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang,
          > I have two questions hope you all don't think they are two stupid. Question one: I bought a San Juan Kit on ebay, stock car, the plastic in the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover. Any suggestions on what I could use and get locally? I am having a hard time finding a suitable ground cover like decomposed granite.
          > Thanks in advance:
          > Alan
          > Springfield, MO.
          > The only On3 modeler in this area!!

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi Alan,
            The 2 Stock cars I have are wood models 1 is painted a light grey and the other is a grimey black They were built by my grandfather and are for the DRG.
            Hope this Helps
            By the way don't feel bad I think I am the only On3 Guy in NH
            Eric

            --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mhart90@..." <mhart90@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gang,
            > I have two questions hope you all don't think they are two stupid. Question one: I bought a San Juan Kit on ebay, stock car, the plastic in the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover. Any suggestions on what I could use and get locally? I am having a hard time finding a suitable ground cover like decomposed granite.
            > Thanks in advance:
            > Alan
            > Springfield, MO.
            > The only On3 modeler in this area!!

          • Glenn476
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
              Find a Grandt Line stock car or gondola kit--in them is a sheet on just that
              sort of painting by Keith Brown. Fr. Brown is an old friend of the Grandts.
              He uses a scheme of painting layers. First a raw wood color--tan--then aged
              wood--gray--followed by the finish color, decals and overcoat. Then use a
              fiberglass brush to wear away the upper layers of paint.

              The interior should be raw wood as they didn't want animals chewing on the
              paint. When assembling the plastic cars I like to make subassemblies of all
              the flat parts--roof, sides, ends, and floor/underbody. Then I can
              assemble the body parts to the roof, paint the interior, then mount the
              body onto the frame. gj

              > I have two questions hope you all don't think they are two stupid.
              > Question one: I bought a San Juan Kit on ebay, stock car, the plastic in
              > the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I
              > live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover.
              > Any suggestions on what I could use and get locally? I am having a hard
              > time finding a suitable ground cover like decomposed granite.
              > Thanks in advance:
              > Alan
              > Springfield, MO.
              > The only On3 modeler in this area!!

              07:38:00
            • CLane's Mac
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                Alan,

                Two places to try in your search for decomposed granite.

                First go to a farm supply and get a bag of fine chicken grit. That material is usually crushed granite, although is sometimes limestone, depends on where it is made. No way to tell the color until you get home, but usually it is cheap enough, so worth a try.

                Also, any landscaping supply outfit of size will have a large pile of decomposed granite. It is used for underlayment on pavers and patios. I show up with a bucket and a screen and asked if I can buy a bucket full for $5-10. Yes, I usually get weird looks, but no one has said no, and you can see the color and get the sizes that you need.

                Chris Lane

                On Nov 1, 2009, at 4:41 PM, mhart90@... wrote:

                Hi Gang,
                I have two questions hope you all don't think they are two stupid. Question one: I bought a San Juan Kit on ebay, stock car, the plastic in the kit is all black. How should I paint to get the right effect? Two I live in the mid west and the soil is red clay not good for ground cover. Any suggestions on what I could use and get locally? I am having a hard time finding a suitable ground cover like decomposed granite.
                Thanks in advance:
                Alan
                Springfield, MO.
                The only On3 modeler in this area!!

              • Darryl Huffman
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Alan asked; How should I paint to get the right effect?

                  Alan, I am not sure what effect you are looking for.

                  But I paint plastic kits a mix of tan and light gray, covering the model
                  completely.

                  Then I apply my finish coat weathering it as I go along using the usual
                  methods.

                  Are you new to weathering?

                  Darryl Huffman
                  12020 Old Seward Highway
                  Anchorage, AK 99515

                  dlhuffman@...

                  Now shipping - New Steam Locomotive Weathering DVD:

                  http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
                  .

                  Database version: 6.13600
                • jdmckee1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Alan,

                    Several excellent replies to your questions have been posted. I will add two more methods for you to choose from. As far as the stock cars, I have 8 that I have built now. If you look in my photo album I have posted some pictures of my last batch. It is called "JD's Models" in the photo section. I sprayed these cars with a tan color, Model Masters armour sand. Then I feather in some gray here and there, blend it on the boards. The black finish comes from Delta Ceramcoat acrylics. I use charcoal black, and I actually brushed it on in VERY thin washes. You can see in the pictures how the tan shows thru. I did add more washes to make the cars darker than how they look in those photos. You could also spray them, Ive done it either way. The washes let more of the base color show thru.

                    As far as ground cover, I use tile grout. I go to Home Depot and pick a couple of colors, there are alot to choose from. Its cheap, it goes down super easy and it looks like scale dirt to me. Sprinkle it where you want it, hit it with a spray bottle and youre done. If I can find one, I will post a picture of my ground cover in the photo album also. JD.
                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                      JD, Do you have any problems with the grout becomming a soild mass when you wet it down?
                      Eric

                    • k27461@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                        Alan,
                        I concur with JD, there have been several excellent replies to your ground cover question.
                        I have the same problem as I live in Ontario and we have beige clay in my area.
                        A good way to get basic ground cover down is to first paint the hard shell area that you want to cover with dirt using a cheap latex type paint from a store like Lowes or HD.
                        I took a photo of an area of Colorado and matched it to a colour chip.

                        Apply the paint and while still wet sift on some regular children's play sand. This stuff is usually uniform in texture and hygienic as it's cleaned.
                        As the paint dries it absorbs the play sand to some degree and the rest will remain loose. I then wet down the area with a spray bottle filled with a solution of water and a very small amount of dish-washing detergent. Once wet, I apply diluted yellow wood glue. When everything is fairly wet, you can add some ground foam colours of your choice.
                        Also as one member said, go to the local landscape or garden centre and pick up some shale and or other materials that closely match your intended colour . Add these to the same wet mixture to create the look of loose stones and rocks. Add to the area, wet down with your water and add more glue.

                        I have recently tiled my kitchen back-splash. My wife bought a beige colour grout which looks a lot like the southern Colorado area of the RGS that I model. I am going to try mixing some with my play sand and apply to a small area. That's sounds like a great idea to me.

                        I also use an air brush with diluted artists acrylic paints to blend areas using the normal colours such as Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, etc.

                        Hope that gives you some more ideas
                        Regards,
                        Keith

                        PS - I am the only On3 modeller in the city of Newmarket which is only about 30 miles north of Toronto. We have a population of 80,000 and not one other On3 modeller in the area.

                        Keith Stamper
                        Newmarket, ON
                        Canada
                        L3Y 1B9