Re: [on3] Re: San Juan "Evolution"

  • Clifbpg
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
      Did you try HO or 0 scale truck springs? The Stamford O Scale Club substitutes O scale truck springs to: 1- Eliminate Slack and 2- To to eliminate spring set  allowing coupler droop( They park trains of 40 to 50 car lengths for long periods of time with couplers in tension and found the KD springs would take a compression set)  ---Cliff F
      From: JD <jdmckee@cox. net>
      Subject: [on3] Re: San Juan "Evolution"
      To: on3@yahoogroups. com

      --- In on3@yahoogroups. com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@.. .> wrote:

      "For those who are relatively new--San Juan has had a couple of working knuckle couplers for years. Sharon pattern, both full size type E and 3/4 size for the narrow gauges that used them."

      Glenn,

      Im familiar with the couplers from SJ, they look extremely prototypical and make the KD's look bad when compared side to side. However, they are hard to operate, so the KD's win out in this comparison. Ive also gone thru the tutorial that was posted here on how to make the SJ couplers operate, using the small wire loop and opening them with magnet wands.

      FWIW, myself and two friends equipped a few cars with the SJ couplers and wire loops and tested them out. We could never get them to work reliably, at times they worked great and then the next time they would not work. So you would end up using the 0-5-0 to switch the cars, which is something I dont want to have to do. I put alot of time into my cars, details and weathering, and dont want them manhandled in operating sessions. In my experience, this just leads to things being broken off the cars. And lets face it, it gets frustrating trying to operate when couplers dont work, and you have to resort to picking cars up, pulling them apart, rerailing them etc.

      We had a pretty good, long extensive thread on all this awhile back. I have decided to go with the KD's for the above stated reasons. They dont look as good but in terms of overall satisfaction they win out for me. Im hoping someone (SJ?) comes up with a reasonably prototypical looking coupler that operates as good as a KD. We even contacted KD at the time and their response was luke warm at best. I know that as long as sales are good, they wont redesign their coupler to look better. I have even tried the Sargents coupler, and it too was hard to assemble and operate. So...Im hoping this new offering from SJ is a great looking AND operating coupler. JD.

    • coronadoscalemodels
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
        San Juan has NEVER produced a 3/4 size coupler. They have produced a full sized Sharon MCB coupler and a full sized Type E coupler. Both are used on the D&RGW, either standard gauge or narrow gauge.

        The new San Juan coupler will be an MCB size, to replace the On3 KD coupler.

        Stan Schwedler
        Coronado Scale Models

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@...> wrote:

        > For those who are relatively new--San Juan has had a couple of working
        > knuckle couplers for years. Sharon pattern, both full size type E and 3/4
        > size for the narrow gauges that used them. They have been around for at
        > least 20 years. . gj
      • azflyeron30
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
          Stan,

          Did you just let the cat out of the bag?

          Travis in Mesa

        • ebtnut@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
            OK, if it's a coupler, then maybe we can hope for "couplers"?  The D&RGW used full-size couplers, while most of the rest of the narrow gauge world used 3/4 MCB style couplers.  It would be a very good thing if we had both to choose from.

            an "Evolution"

            My vote goes for a working coupler also. Maybe they paid attention to the thread on here about our unhappiness with the Kadee On3 coupler. If so then maybe they came up with something that works like a KD but with a more prototypical appearance. JD.

          • Glenn476
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
              OK--I stand corrected. As to the Kadee 803-type--when they were developing
              that one, I gave Kadee several of what was in use in On3 at the time--PFM,
              PSC, Grandt's Tower--as examples of what they would be coupling to. gj
              > San Juan has NEVER produced a 3/4 size coupler. They have produced a full
              > sized Sharon MCB coupler and a full sized Type E coupler. Both are used on
              > the D&RGW, either standard gauge or narrow gauge.
              >
              > The new San Juan coupler will be an MCB size, to replace the On3 KD
              > coupler.
              >
              > Stan Schwedler
              > Coronado Scale Models
              >

              > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> For those who are relatively new--San Juan has had a couple of working
              >> knuckle couplers for years. Sharon pattern, both full size type E and
              >> 3/4
              >> size for the narrow gauges that used them. They have been around for
              >> at
              >> least 20 years. . gj

              20:45:00
            • steve dennison
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
                I have modelled in On3 on and off for many years over here in the UK.  When I used to model D&RGW I used the full size Kadees. I now use the On3 versions on my current East Broad Top stock.  I find changing the centring springs for a stiffer rate seems to improve operation as long as a fairly large, 36" minimum, radius is used.
                Steve Dennison

              • k27461@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 3, 2009
                  Thanks cliff,
                  I will try your suggestion. I had been cutting a very, very short piece of brass wire and fitting it inside the spring to reduce movement.
                  However, if our friends at SJ have developed a new coupler, then that's what I will move over to in the future and also retrofit the 65 cars on my layout.
                  Regards,
                  Keith

                  Keith Stamper
                  Newmarket, ON
                  Canada
                  L3Y 1B9

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 4, 2009
                    It looks like it's going to be their new flex track that has the ties connected in the middle instead of under the rails.  Read about it sometime back, I think they've patented it.  I think it's supposed to make for smoother curves and more realistic ballasting.
                    I'd love to see them do curved switches as those can be a huge space saver in On3 by being able to start a siding etc before rolling out of a 42" curve.
                    Brian

                    To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                    From: coronadoscalemod@...
                    Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:04:50 +0000

                    San Juan has NEVER produced a 3/4 size coupler. They have produced a full sized Sharon MCB coupler and a full sized Type E coupler. Both are used on the D&RGW, either standard gauge or narrow gauge.

                    The new San Juan coupler will be an MCB size, to replace the On3 KD coupler.

                    Stan Schwedler
                    Coronado Scale Models

                    --- In on3@yahoogroups. com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@.. .> wrote:

                    > For those who are relatively new--San Juan has had a couple of working
                    > knuckle couplers for years. Sharon pattern, both full size type E and 3/4
                    > size for the narrow gauges that used them. They have been around for at
                    > least 20 years. . gj

                  • Tim Schreiner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 7, 2009
                      The good news is that San Juan is coming out this summer with their own flex track. However that's not what the big surprise is going to be. It's not going to be a new coupler either. Not according to John anyway. They have a new puzzle on the homepage, and they will add new pics to the little squares as hints to what it's going to be.

                      BTW. One cool feature of the new flex track is that it's going to be produced in lengths of 1 meter.

                      Tim Schreiner
                      prancingponysales.com
                    • brian bass
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 7, 2009
                        That's funny.  The "Evolution" links to a picture of a piece of track.  Not sure why there making it a big mystery though.
                        Brian

                        To: on3@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 7, 2009
                          I asked John about that, and he said that they were still doing some updates on the website. Another thing about the flex track, and I think it was mentioned here a while ago. That the ties are connected in the middle, rather than under the rails.

                          Tim Schreiner
                          prancingponysales.com