Re: Older PSC brass passenger car coupler mounting

  • humetrains
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Speaking of which, does anyone have any PSC passenger cars they would
      like to part with, that are factory painted? I have the RPO, but
      would be interested in an Alamosa or Chama obs, and a baggage and
      closed vestibule coach.

      Brian

      -- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mac9210" <mac9210@...> wrote:

      > Hey everyone,
      > Anybody have any suggestions for mounting Kadee 803 couplers on the
      > older PSC cars, with out a mounting pad and a lot of under the end
      beam
      > details. I really hate to pull half the details to mount couplers
      on
      > the darn things. It's obvious that a screw hole will have to be
      drilled
      > and the box narrowed.
      > Thanks
      > Mike Clark

    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        So........

        You need to shim the box on the car to narrow it ? Or narrow the KD
        box to fit the car? Or build-up a shim to mount the KD box on the car?

        And drill a hole in each end......

        It sounds like the coupler box and shims will just take a bit of
        time, and the drilling will need a holding fixture like a modified
        miter box where you take some scrap board and assorted shimming of
        whatever is on hand to hold the car rigid while cradled upside down.

        Perhaps you are over-complicating the idea of modding the coupler
        box, shimming as needed, and drilling a hole on each end of the car
        floor?

        Might I suggest the assortment pack of cut-off styrene sheets and
        shapes that the hobby shops, hardware stores and craft centers carry
        from Evergreen Styrene??? It's handy stuff to have for shimming and
        when you need just a little bit of a certain size and shape for a
        project.

        Best to ya'
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee Wi, USA

        -- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mac9210" <mac9210@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone,
        > Anybody have any suggestions for mounting Kadee 803 couplers on the
        > older PSC cars, with out a mounting pad and a lot of under the end
        beam
        > details. I really hate to pull half the details to mount couplers
        on
        > the darn things. It's obvious that a screw hole will have to be
        drilled
        > and the box narrowed.
        > Thanks
        > Mike Clark
      • Glenn476
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          I dug out the various cars I have--some other than PSC since most probably
          use their parts--I either opened out the strap carrier, or trimmed the Kadee
          box, or both. Some I just cut aqway what was in the way and made a pad. gj
          > You need to shim the box on the car to narrow it ? Or narrow the KD
          > box to fit the car? Or build-up a shim to mount the KD box on the car?
          >
          > And drill a hole in each end......
          >
          > It sounds like the coupler box and shims will just take a bit of
          > time, and the drilling will need a holding fixture like a modified
          > miter box where you take some scrap board and assorted shimming of
          > whatever is on hand to hold the car rigid while cradled upside down.
          >
          > Perhaps you are over-complicating the idea of modding the coupler
          > box, shimming as needed, and drilling a hole on each end of the car
          > floor?
          >
          > Might I suggest the assortment pack of cut-off styrene sheets and
          > shapes that the hobby shops, hardware stores and craft centers carry
          > from Evergreen Styrene??? It's handy stuff to have for shimming and
          > when you need just a little bit of a certain size and shape for a
          > project.
          >
          > Best to ya'
          > Mike Bauers
          > Milwaukee Wi, USA
          >
          > -- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mac9210" <mac9210@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hey everyone,
          >> Anybody have any suggestions for mounting Kadee 803 couplers on the
          >> older PSC cars, with out a mounting pad and a lot of under the end
          > beam
          >> details. I really hate to pull half the details to mount couplers
          > on
          >> the darn things. It's obvious that a screw hole will have to be
          > drilled
          >> and the box narrowed.
          >> Thanks
          >> Mike Clark

          7:08 PM
        • Mike Clark
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thanks,
            I thought I would see if there was any other way to skin that cat....I used Evergreen strip to fill in between the framework. That brought the mounting level with the underside of the end beam. I think with narrowing the sides of the KD box it will slide right through the strap carrier. I can then drill and use self tapping screws into the strip and it should be good and solid.
            If was really lazy I could have just used dummy scale couplers with an extended shank and done away with half the trouble.
            Mike Clark
            Kalona, Iowa

            ________________________________
            I dug out the various cars I have--some other than PSC since most probably
            use their parts--I either opened out the strap carrier, or trimmed the Kadee
            box, or both. Some I just cut aqway what was in the way and made a pad. gj
            > You need to shim the box on the car to narrow it ? Or narrow the KD
            > box to fit the car? Or build-up a shim to mount the KD box on the car?
            >
            > And drill a hole in each end......
            >
            > It sounds like the coupler box and shims will just take a bit of
            > time, and the drilling will need a holding fixture like a modified
            > miter box where you take some scrap board and assorted shimming of
            > whatever is on hand to hold the car rigid while cradled upside down.
            >
            > Perhaps you are over-complicating the idea of modding the coupler
            > box, shimming as needed, and drilling a hole on each end of the car
            > floor?
            >
            > Might I suggest the assortment pack of cut-off styrene sheets and
            > shapes that the hobby shops, hardware stores and craft centers carry
            > from Evergreen Styrene??? It's handy stuff to have for shimming and
            > when you need just a little bit of a certain size and shape for a
            > project.
            >
            > Best to ya'
            > Mike Bauers
            > Milwaukee Wi, USA
            >
            > -- In on3@yahoogroups. com, "mac9210" <mac9210@... > wrote:
            >>
            >> Hey everyone,
            >> Anybody have any suggestions for mounting Kadee 803 couplers on the
            >> older PSC cars, with out a mounting pad and a lot of under the end
            > beam
            >> details. I really hate to pull half the details to mount couplers
            > on
            >> the darn things. It's obvious that a screw hole will have to be
            > drilled
            >> and the box narrowed.
            >> Thanks
            >> Mike Clark

            7:08 PM

          • Glenn476
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              remember that the back end of the Kadde gauge is for the mounting surface.
              Lee Snover has some nice cast brass Kadee pocket tops that can be soldered
              in place and the box cover screwed on. gj
              > I thought I would see if there was any other way to skin that cat....I
              > used Evergreen strip to fill in between the framework. That brought the
              > mounting level with the underside of the end beam. I think with narrowing
              > the sides of the KD box it will slide right through the strap carrier. I
              > can then drill and use self tapping screws into the strip and it should be
              > good and solid.
              > If was really lazy I could have just used dummy scale couplers with an
              > extended shank and done away with half the trouble.
              > Mike Clark
              > Kalona, Iowa

              7:08 PM