math wizards question

  • michael lynch
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      I am building steel water/oil tank thats a scale 14 foot 6 inches tall
      and has a scale diameter of 30 feet.

      Question is , what would the gallonage be of this tank??????????

      thank you
      madmike3434
    • Jerry Lawrence
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        Approx 1280 gallons, by my calcs.
        -Jerry

      • Bill Daniels
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          I get approximately 15,875 gallons. Area of the base is 15^2*3.14=706.5 sq ft.. 706.5*30=21195 cubic feet. 21195*7.49=158750.55 gals.

          Bill Daniels

          Tucson, AZ

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            a lot!!! for the prototype, and less than a gallon for the model in O scale!

            the following searches yielded your answer

            gallons / cubic ft:

            http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_cubic_feet_are_in_a_gallon

            volume of a cylinder:

            http://www.mathsteacher.com.au/year9/ch14_measurement/18_cylinder/cylinder.htm

            (((22/7) x (15' x15')) x 14.5')) x 7.4805 gal/ft3

            should give you the volume in cubic feet then multiply by gallons per cubic ft.

            Bc

            LOandS@yahoogroups.com

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            "...Tis the set of the sail and not the gale

            Which determines the way they go. ...."

            -EWW

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            SUPPORT ��Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2007��

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/ceou/database.cfm#S

            "Have you considered my servant Job?" (Job 1:8)

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
              19166 gallons according to the calculator at: http://www.greertank.com/tankcalc.htm

              Orin :-)

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                Formula for area of a circle is pr2pi (3.14) x radius squared
                Diameter of the tank is 30 ft. therefore the radius of your tank is 15�.
                Square that = 225 sq/ft
                3.14 (pi) X 225 = 706.5 sq/ft
                Height of tank = 14.5 ft.
                Multiply height of tank times area to arrive at the cubic feet in the tank.
                14.5 X 706.5 = 10244.25 cubic/ft
                There are 7.48051945 US gallons in a cubic foot. (7.5 rounded)
                10244.25 cubic/ft X 7.5 gal/cft = 76831.875 gallons
                We don�t know the actual volume of the tank because we don�t know the thickness of the wall or the bottom but I would think you would lose somewhere between 10 and 20 gallons due to those factors, maybe more --- so the gallonage volume comes to approximately 76,800 gallons.
                Clark Womack

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                  I think this is it:

                  Volume is area of base times height, so

                  V = 3.14 * 15 feet * 15 feet * 14.5 feet = 10244.25 cubic feet

                  In our idiotic measuring system, 1 cubic foot is 7.48 gallons, so

                  10244.25 cubic feet * 7.48 gallons per cubic foot = 76,627 gallons

                  Bill multiplied by the diameter when he meant to multiply by the
                  height, but since he showed his work, I'd still give him 8 out of 10.
                  Hey that's a B!

                  Randy Scott
                  Associate Professor of Mathematics

                  On Sep 1, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jerry Lawrence wrote:

                  > Approx 1280 gallons, by my calcs.
                  > -Jerry

                • Bill Daniels
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Oops... the 30 in the last expression should be 14.5*, which makes the entire volume = 10244.25 cubic feet, and multiplying by 7.49 (gallons in a cubic foot) yields just under 76,730 gals.

                    *too damn early in the morning error...

                    I think...

                    Bill Daniels

                    Tucson, AZ

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Thanks, Randy. A B is good enough...

                      Bill Daniels, P.E.

                      Tucson, AZ

                      V = 3.14 * 15 feet * 15 feet * 14.5 feet = 10244.25 cubic feet

                      In our idiotic measuring system, 1 cubic foot is 7.48 gallons, so

                      10244.25 cubic feet * 7.48 gallons per cubic foot = 76,627 gallons

                      Bill multiplied by the diameter when he meant to multiply by the

                      height, but since he showed his work, I'd still give him 8 out of 10.

                      Hey that's a B!

                      Randy Scott

                      Associate Professor of Mathematics

                      On Sep 1, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jerry Lawrence wrote:

                      > Approx 1280 gallons, by my calcs.

                      > -Jerry

                    • CLARK WOMACK
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                        My previous message didn�t go through correctly so here it is again.
                        Formula for area of a circle is pi (3.14) x radius squared
                        Diameter of the tank is 30 ft. therefore the radius of your tank is 15 ft.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                          Didn't he mean to see how much on On3 size gallons?

                          eric

                        • Bill Daniels
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                            Dunno, Eric... could they be On30 size gallons?

                            Bill Daniels

                            Tucson, AZ

                            Didn't he mean to see how much on On3 size gallons?

                            eric

                          • Glenn476
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                              if my calculizer is right, 76,870 gallons. pi x r sq. x height gives cubic
                              feet, x 7.5 gallons in a cu. ft. . Mathematicians--am I close?? gj

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                                  boy was I off!! gj 8^( ---- Original Message -----
                                  >> I am building steel water/oil tank thats a scale 14 foot 6 inches tall
                                  >> and has a scale diameter of 30 feet.
                                  >>
                                  >> Question is , what would the gallonage be of this tank??????????
                                  >>
                                  >> thank you
                                  >> madmike3434

                                • Glenn476
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                                    --or was I--just thinking comparisons--our tender is 6000 gal and much
                                    smaller than that. gj
                                    >> I am building steel water/oil tank thats a scale 14 foot 6 inches tall
                                    >> and has a scale diameter of 30 feet.
                                    >>
                                    >> Question is , what would the gallonage be of this tank??????????
                                    >>
                                    >> thank you
                                    >> madmike3434

                                  • Glenn476
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                                      With the range of answers--I have referred the question to retired math
                                      teacher, Diesel fireman, and HO railroader Duane Johnson--let's see what he
                                      comes up with. 8^) gj
                                      >I am building steel water/oil tank thats a scale 14 foot 6 inches tall
                                      > and has a scale diameter of 30 feet.
                                      >
                                      > Question is , what would the gallonage be of this tank??????????
                                      >
                                      > thank you
                                      > madmike3434

                                    • John Stokes
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                                        I can't believe that so much bandwidth has been spent on a simple calculation, if the measurements are accurately labeled for what is to be measured. The question and been asked and answered several times, so why waste more time referring this to someone else, who probably has better things to do with his time? Can we just end this and Mike can re-read the posts and find his answer, it is there more than once.

                                        And as the quote from your original post shows, Mike, you used the word "diameter" of thirty feet. Since we now know you meant circumference, the answer for that has also been given, so build it either way, you have the "gallonage" given to you, read the posts. John StokesBellevue, WA

                                        To: on3@yahoogroups.comFrom: glenn476@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:12:07 -0700Subject: Re: [on3] math wizards question

                                        With the range of answers--I have referred the question to retired math teacher, Diesel fireman, and HO railroader Duane Johnson--let's see what he comes up with. 8^) gj----- Original Message ----- From: "michael lynch" <madmike3434@...>To: <on3@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:00 AMSubject: [on3] math wizards question>I am building steel water/oil tank thats a scale 14 foot 6 inches tall> and has a scale diameter of 30 feet.>> Question is , what would the gallonage be of this tank??????????>> thank you> madmike3434>>> ------------------------------------>> Remember, additional On3 photos and files can now be found at:>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/On3photos>> ThanksYahoo! Groups Links>>>