Re: New switches

  • Don Peterson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      I saw them yesterday at Caboose as well. They are very nice. Looks
      like the bridle is not soldered to the points which is nice because
      that can be a weak point. I have had a couple of my LITCO code 83
      turnouts fail at that place. Wish I was using code 100. At $24.95
      they are a bargain.

      Don
      --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Schreiner" <tim01433@...> wrote:

      > San Juan sent them a pre production sample.
      >
      > Tim Schreiner
      > Prancing Pony Sales.
      >

      > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@> wrote:
      > >
      > > sounds like I will be expecting a box of them from Tim---gj
      (there
      > goes my
      > > excuse for getting going on the layout.)

    • Don Peterson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        I saw them yesterday at Caboose as well. They are very nice. Looks
        like the bridle is not soldered to the points which is nice because
        that can be a weak point. I have had a couple of my LITCO code 83
        turnouts fail at that place. Wish I was using code 100. At $24.95
        they are a bargain.

        Don
        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Schreiner" <tim01433@...> wrote:

        > San Juan sent them a pre production sample.
        >
        > Tim Schreiner
        > Prancing Pony Sales.
        >

        > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@> wrote:
        > >
        > > sounds like I will be expecting a box of them from Tim---gj
        (there
        > goes my
        > > excuse for getting going on the layout.)

      • stephen mckee
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
          Would the DRGW or the RGS had any rail the size of code 100? I was planning
          on using code 83 but the price on these switches is inviting.

        • William Uffelman
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
            D&RGW relaid NG with rail comparable to Code 100.

            Bill Uffelman
            Las Vegas NV

            Would the DRGW or the RGS had any rail the size of code 100? I was planning
            on using code 83 but the price on these switches is inviting.

          • Mike Conder
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
              I wondered if that were the case ...

              Mike Conder

              Tim Schreiner" <tim01433@...> wrote:

              > San Juan sent them a pre production sample.
            • Lee Snover
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                D&RGW probably had 75 lb rail, which is what code 100 is roughly
                equal to.

                IMHOOOC

              • bagustaf@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                  FWIW, source "Rio Grande Narrow Gauge" John Norwood, Heimburger Publishing
                  ISBN 0-911581-00-6 First Edition, page 265, Silverton Branch from mile post
                  486.00 to 496.25 in 1940 was 90 lb. rail. From mile post 476.93 to 481.47 was also
                  90 lb. rail. From 481.47 to485.76 was a combination of 80, 85 and 90 lb.
                  rail. In the On3 archives you should find more information re: On3 rail profiles
                  and weights relative to cross section and weight.

                  Lee Gustafson

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Code 100 rail is OK for rail around 80-90 lb., which is generally good for main line track.? Code 83?represents about 60-65 lb., and would be?good for secondary lines, sidings, yards, etc.? Note:? I used BK HO Code 83 point-frog kits for my secondary tracks.? I cut and lengthend the point rails, and?installed a new wider throw bar.? The stock rails were laid in with the appropriate flats filed for the points and guard rails installed.? This takes a lot of the chore out of building a full turnout.???

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                        perhaps after we all get out code 83 switches built SJ will announce a
                        follow-up line of code 83's. (Ain't that how it usually works?)