Re:New Photos Added

  • stephen mckee
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
      Nice work JD. I know what you are going thru to get ready for the
      convention. I was in charge of the outside activities for the national NMRA
      convention in 1998 for Kansas City. We had about 55 or so layouts on tour
      but we didn't have anybody that had to tackle what you have. Starting on a
      layout 4 to 5 years out from convention time is a lot of work and as you
      are well aware the time seems to slip by and all of a sudden you have a year
      left, then 6 months,2 months, and then you see its only 30 days out and you
      go AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

    • jdmckee1
      Message 2 of 20 , May 16, 2010
        Hi gang,

        Ive added a few photos of my latest project. They are in my "JD's Models" photo album. It is the pond Ive been working on, seemingly forever. I have played around with color for a long time, I think Ive got it to where Im happy with it. So Id appreciate comments, those of you who live in the country or see this stuff more than I do. The cat tails are from Scenic Express, they are very nice. I will add more to the banks now that Ive got the pond colored. I still have to touch up a bit of the banks with dirt, and then add the resin and lilly pads.

        One nice touch that I didnt count on was how the paint crept up into the static grass weeds. I spread the matte medium I use for glue onto the actual pond surface and then applied the weeds. On a tip from Darryl, once the acrylic paint was brushed around I applied water with a spray bottle. This thinned the paint and let it flow around. It flowed up into the weeds, and it reminds me alot of the mucky wet area right at the waters edge of ponds Ive fished in. JD.
      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , May 16, 2010
          JD,

          It came off well.  I particularly like the surface treatment of the pond, quite realistic as it's not 'mirror smooth'.

          Keevan

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 24, 2011
            Hi gang,

            I finally got a new memory chip for my camera and posted some new photos. I have added alot more aspen trees to the layout and most of the photos are of those. Im trying for a dense clump per the protoype. The one photo taken from afar shows the shadow box style of the layout. I also added two photos of the Downtown Deco Hardware Store that Ive pretty much finished up.

            This was a really nice kit. I included a photo of the front to show how I dressed up the top facade of the kit with Grandt Line detail parts. It was just a flat hunk of plaster. I added some Grandt corbels and dentils, then topped it off with a strip of styrene across the top to build it out some more. It was real easy, and really makes a plain area look more ornate and dated. Dont know what I would do without Grandt Line!!! I also named it for my good buddy Randy Scott. The pics are in my "JD's Models" album.

            PS, I should have my MMI K-27 back this coming week with the Stanton RC/battery setup installed. I cant wait to try this loco out and I will post a YouTube video of the details plus how it runs. JD.
          • Kjb80401@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 24, 2011
              JD,

              The store really has some character now, well done.  As to the aspens and also the evergreens, you need to add a whole bunch of small trees of varying heights in the 'groves'.  This is something that is almost always overlooked by folks when doing their scenicking.

              Carry on, check in with you later, Keevan

              In a message dated 9/24/2011 8:12:38 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, jdmckee@... writes:
[...]

            • Laurie McLean
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 24, 2011
                G'Day JD,

                Nice job of weathering on the store, like the additions you made too.
                I agree with Keevan, those tall aspens need some shorter trees around with them to make the scene more realistic.
                Nice layout you have there mate.

                Laurie

                From: jdmckee1 <jdmckee@...>

                Subject: [on3] New Photos Added

[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    on3-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    on3-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Brandan
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 24, 2011
                  JD,

                  Looking very good! I really enjoy the weathering on your locos and rolling stock. Keep us updated on the RC stuff.

                  Brandan

                  --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, Laurie McLean <narrowgaugetrain@...> wrote:

                  > G'Day JD,
                  >
                  > Nice job of weathering on the store, like the additions you made too.
                  > I agree with Keevan, those tall aspens need some shorter trees around with them to make the scene more realistic.
                  > Nice layout you have there mate.
                  >
                  > Laurie
                  >
                  > From: jdmckee1 <jdmckee@...>
                  >
                  > Subject: [on3] New Photos Added
                  >
                  > Hi gang,
                  >
                  > I finally got a new memory chip for my camera and posted some new photos. I have added alot more aspen trees to the layout and most of the photos are of those. Im trying for a dense clump per the protoype. The one photo taken from afar shows the shadow box style of the layout. I also added two photos of the Downtown Deco Hardware Store that Ive pretty much finished up.
                  >
                  > This was a really nice kit. I included a photo of the front to show how I dressed up the top facade of the kit with Grandt Line detail parts. It was just a flat hunk of plaster. I added some Grandt corbels and dentils, then topped it off with a strip of styrene across the top to build it out some more. It was real easy, and really makes a plain area look more ornate and dated. Dont know what I would do without Grandt Line!!! I also named it for my good buddy Randy Scott. The pics are in my "JD's Models" album.
                  >
                  > PS, I should have my MMI K-27 back this coming week with the Stanton RC/battery setup installed. I cant wait to try this loco out and I will post a YouTube video of the details plus how it runs. JD.

                  >     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                    Great Job JD,
                    Keep the photos Comming

                    Eric

                    --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "jdmckee1" <jdmckee@...> wrote:

                    > Hi gang,
                    >
                    > I finally got a new memory chip for my camera and posted some new photos. I have added alot more aspen trees to the layout and most of the photos are of those. Im trying for a dense clump per the protoype. The one photo taken from afar shows the shadow box style of the layout. I also added two photos of the Downtown Deco Hardware Store that Ive pretty much finished up.
                    >
                    > This was a really nice kit. I included a photo of the front to show how I dressed up the top facade of the kit with Grandt Line detail parts. It was just a flat hunk of plaster. I added some Grandt corbels and dentils, then topped it off with a strip of styrene across the top to build it out some more. It was real easy, and really makes a plain area look more ornate and dated. Dont know what I would do without Grandt Line!!! I also named it for my good buddy Randy Scott. The pics are in my "JD's Models" album.
                    >
                    > PS, I should have my MMI K-27 back this coming week with the Stanton RC/battery setup installed. I cant wait to try this loco out and I will post a YouTube video of the details plus how it runs. JD.

                  • William Uffelman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011

                      Good looking addtions JD.

                      Just drove from Reno back to Las Vegas yesterday but no color in the aspen groves yet. I'm sure they will be in color end of October -- plus snow I bet.

                      Bill Uffelman
                      Back in Las Vegas NV

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                        Thanks for all the nice comments. I will start making a few smaller trees to mix in. Actually they do differ in heights, but I guess by placing them on a hillside they are ending up about the same. It always helps to have others view your models, they often see what you are not. Dont be afraid to comment or offer help, I welcome it.

                        Brandan, the loco and the weathering in the pictures is not mine. It was done by Dennis Tebo, and yes it looks real nice in person. Bill, that sounds like a fun drive. I always enjoy road trips. We were in Vegas last month for about two days and checked out some real estate. I cant believe how low the prices are and how much house you can get. My wife will finally be eligible for her pension at the end of November. After that its just a matter of time... seeing how much more time I can stomach my job and how much time it will take to sell my place for what Id like to get out of it. Somewhere in time the two will finally come together.

                        Actually this is the first modeling Ive done in the last 4-5 months. I just got a bit burnt out. I was doing alot to get ready for the Sn3 Symposium layout tour. But now Im getting the old spark back. There's alot of projects awaiting me, plus alot more details to add to the scenery. We have the 2013 National Narrow Gauge Convention right here in Pasadena, which is about 50 miles from me. So our local bunch is gearing up and going to try and have alot for you guys to see! JD.
                      • trains4ms@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                          JD,

                          Looking good. The store front looks a lot better. Nice job on the signs too.

                          Mike Schwab
                          San Lorenzo Southern Sn3
                        • lucas gargoloff
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                            I´m Agree with Mike, great building!! And like the aspens, they give some character to the layout!!
                            Thanks for sharing.

                          • Tbone9@q.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011

                              Snow fell on the western face of the Cascades of Oregon today; hampered the search for a climber who fell and died.

                              Jim Christensen

[...]

                            • Ken Ruble
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                                This is eerie. I’m right in the middle of reading Tomboy Bride by Harriet Fish Backus. She is talking about people being lost in the snow at high altitude in Colorado and frozen to death. I finish the chapter, go to the computer and this is posted.

                                Ken

                                Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:22 PM

[...]

                              • Glenn
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 26, 2011
                                  Medford stations didn’t mention it.  Snow level here was high—no new snow on Shasta.  gj

                                  Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:22 PM