Tool Help!

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      Good Morning,

      For my 51st birthday, my lovely wife gave me the fancy-schmancy drill press from
      MicroMark--#82959. Comes with digital depth finder (useful for drilling holes for grab
      irons into, but not through, the sides of gondolas (I hope!)) and she got me their x-y table
      attachment. Here's the link:

      <http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?
      MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82959>

      OK, so I got up early this AM to set this up and give it a spin. I pulled everything carefully
      from the box, wiped the oil off, and followed the instructions to assemble the machine.
      Actually, the only assembly required was to put the headstock on the support, and install
      the JT chuck.

      I made sure the speed control knob was set to its farthest counter-clockwise position and
      that the power button was off, plugged it in, turned the power on and the drill press
      started making noise like a motor turning, and by golly, the chuck WAS slowly turning. I
      checked that the speed control was turned all the way down-yep it was.

      So this doesn't seem to me to be normal, but since I've never had a drill press, I don't
      really know what normal drill press behavior would be. What do you think?

      Figuring I'd deal with that later, I started to turn the speed control up. Hmmm . . . I
      thought. Not nice noises and not smooth operation. When the run out is visible to the
      naked 51-year-old eyes, it's probably not a good thing.

      So I reset the chuck--since there were no specific instructions about setting the chuck, I
      used the instructions in Mark Duginske's "Mastering Woodworking Machines"--and tried
      again. Same result.

      I've made a movie of my new drill press. Here's a link to my website:

      <http://web.mac.com/rscott3141>

      and it's the page titled "Randy's New Drill Press"

      So here's what I want to ask:

      Is this normal for a $200 drill press? Did I get a Chinese lemon? (I haven't licked the paint,
      so at least I don't have to worry about lead poisoning from the drill press!)

      If any of you have experience with this particular machine, how does your experience
      compare to mine?

      Do you think I should just go ahead and return this to Micro Mark and search elsewhere
      for a quality drill press? Any suggestions?

      As always, thanks for your input, and sorry if you read about this on other groups.

      Thanks again,

      Randy Scott
      On3 in Orange, CA
    • Boone Morrison
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        Randy:

        Clearly, you got a lemon! I have that same drill press and, though
        not the equal of a $400
        precision unit, it has very little run out at all. Your speed
        control issue is not how it should
        be anyway...

        I would call MM and see what their guarantee policy - remember,
        Tom (the mgr there)
        is himself a fine modeler and personally approves all the products
        they sell - he is
        a good guy and I am sure will take good care of you.

        Aloha, Boone

      • Ede Biro
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
          HI Randy.

          I have looked high and low before I got my drill press. I had used many different ones before.
          I got my self a dumore drill press. I got it on ebay . Buy it retail you would pay $700 for it. Used you could pick it up for under $200. Believe me this is the Cadillac of drill presses.
          Ede
[...]

          Remember, additional On3 photos and files can now be found at:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          edsshay@...

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
            Hi Randy,
            I agree with Boone You got a bad one. Micro Mark is really good about
            returns on defective equipment. They should be able to get you a new
            one pretty quick. I have found there equipment well built so it may
            have been that lot.
            Eric

            --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Scott" <rscott@...> wrote:

            > Good Morning,
            >
            > For my 51st birthday, my lovely wife gave me the fancy-schmancy
            drill press from
            > MicroMark--#82959. Comes with digital depth finder (useful for
            drilling holes for grab
            > irons into, but not through, the sides of gondolas (I hope!)) and
            she got me their x-y table
            > attachment. Here's the link:
            >
            > <http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?
            > MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82959>
            >
            > OK, so I got up early this AM to set this up and give it a spin. I
            pulled everything carefully
            > from the box, wiped the oil off, and followed the instructions to
            assemble the machine.
            > Actually, the only assembly required was to put the headstock on
            the support, and install
            > the JT chuck.
            >
            > I made sure the speed control knob was set to its farthest counter-
            clockwise position and
            > that the power button was off, plugged it in, turned the power on
            and the drill press
            > started making noise like a motor turning, and by golly, the chuck
            WAS slowly turning. I
            > checked that the speed control was turned all the way down-yep it
            was.

            > So this doesn't seem to me to be normal, but since I've never had a
            drill press, I don't
            > really know what normal drill press behavior would be. What do you
            think?

            > Figuring I'd deal with that later, I started to turn the speed
            control up. Hmmm . . . I
            > thought. Not nice noises and not smooth operation. When the run out
            is visible to the
            > naked 51-year-old eyes, it's probably not a good thing.
            >
            > So I reset the chuck--since there were no specific instructions
            about setting the chuck, I
            > used the instructions in Mark Duginske's "Mastering Woodworking
            Machines"--and tried
            > again. Same result.
            >
            > I've made a movie of my new drill press. Here's a link to my
            website:

            > <http://web.mac.com/rscott3141>
            >
            > and it's the page titled "Randy's New Drill Press"
            >
            > So here's what I want to ask:
            >
            > Is this normal for a $200 drill press? Did I get a Chinese lemon?
            (I haven't licked the paint,
            > so at least I don't have to worry about lead poisoning from the
            drill press!)

            > If any of you have experience with this particular machine, how
            does your experience
            > compare to mine?
            >
            > Do you think I should just go ahead and return this to Micro Mark
            and search elsewhere
            > for a quality drill press? Any suggestions?
            >
            > As always, thanks for your input, and sorry if you read about this
            on other groups.

            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Randy Scott
            > On3 in Orange, CA

          • Randy Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
              Just a quick THANK YOU! to all who responded with thoughts and ideas about my new drill
              press.

              As usual, you guys are a great resource.

              Also as usual, MicroMark customer service was quick to respond with suggestions and clear,
              informative explanations.

              Have fun!

              Randy--looking forward to working out in the gargae now that it's not 110 degrees--Scott
              On3 in Orange, CA
            • Jerry Lawrence
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
                But is it satisfactory now? If so, what did you do?
                -Younger