Opening of the Kauai Plantation Railway

  • Evan & Correne James
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1 4:19 AM
      Are they going to air operated sanders?
      I usually avoid using them because they suck the air out of the system
      and the next thing you know the brakes are on.

      evan

      > Re: Opening of the Kauai Plantation Railway
      > Posted by: "Boone Morrison" boone@...   boone96785
      >
      > Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:12 pm (PST)
      > J Craig:
      >
      > Yea, I was laughing about that same idea the evening after the
      > event. I have seen some photos of early
      > Hawaii plantation engines with what appear to be bags of sand piled
      > on the footboards and pilot deck - I
      > wonder if that is how they did it.
      >
      > Only problem I see is the cost of labor...$10 an hour for a "sander"
      > might run up a bit.
      >
      > Actually, last night I sketched up sanders we will build for the
      > Whitcomb (never had any), and how to fix
      > the sanders on the GE - those are totally trashed at this point - no
      > valve controls, no pipes, and of the four
      > sand boxes the lids on two are welded shut! Got to address that.
      >
      > I think this will be cheaper in the long run, even given the cost of
      > the metal craftsman who will fix them.
      >
      > But, thanks for the idea...might add a bit more "drama" to the
      > scene...
      >
      > Aloha, Boone

    • Boone Morrison
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1 12:15 PM
        Evan:

        Not sure yet. The original sanders on the GE were air, but the whole
        system was torn out at some point
        leaving only the sand boxes. We are discussing the matter now.

        Since we are running straight air the brakes would not be "on",
        rather they would not work! However,
        both of the engines have been equipped with additional air tanks that
        double their standard capacity.

        Definitely a point, however.

        Aloha, Boone