Re: [on3] RE: Introduction and the search for Cimarron

  • Trevor Marshall
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi Bill:

      > Welcome aboard!

      Thanks - great to be here!

      > I am sure you will enjoy this group.

      For some reason, I was a member of this group a few years ago, but
      got dropped from the membership. No matter - I'm back!

      > I took a look at your website. Very nicely done as is your modeling.

      Thank you!

      > Is the 2 foot gauge going to be abandon in favor of 3 foot, or will
      > they
      > coexist? It would be a shame to destroy what you have already done!
      > That would be akin to Rembrandt painting over one work of art to
      > create another.

      Nope - 2' gauge is where my heart is, and the layout's future is
      secure. That said, I'm interested in the 3' stuff, and want to learn
      more. Having recently been involved in a Free-mo modular effort in HO
      scale, I'm keen to try something in On3 as a way to participate more
      fully in the local narrow gauge group, so that's where my 3' efforts
      will be.

      Cheers!

      - Trevor
    • stamper keith
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1 5:42 AM
        Guys,
        I am interested building a new module up here. The current modules are not conducive to operating Colorado locomotives.
        As I said to Trevor recently when he came over to my house to help set up my card system.
        Maybe we can discuss further during the meet on Sunday at Art's house.
        Does anyone in the group have ideas about some kind of standards?
        Regards,
        Keith

        Keith Stamper
        Newmarket, ON
        Canada
        L3Y 1B9

      • Trevor Marshall
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1 6:16 AM
          Hi Don:

          On Nov 30, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Don Peterson wrote:

          > You've already had a few great suggestions. You should also contact
          > the Colorado Railroad museum. They have bound copies of ICC
          > valuation maps for the Rio Grande for sale.

          Thanks for this, and the book recommendation. Much appreciated!
          Cheers!
          - Trevor in Toronto
        • Trevor Marshall
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1 6:16 AM
            On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:49 PM, kgmilner1944 wrote:

            > In addition to the book Keith mentioned you might try to locate a
            > Trails Among the Columbine, 1989 edition.

            Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it.
            Cheers!
            - Trevor
          • Fred Folk
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1 7:17 AM
              Kieth,
              You could use my garage if you didn't live so far away. Just kiddin
              See you in May at Kimberton
              Fred

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1 9:00 AM
                Keith,
                I was in Oklahoma City Tuesday with Mark Gardner and he said the
                OKC group was contemplating doing the same; starting a On3 or On30
                module group. His initial thought was to have everyone interested
                get together and design a set of standards. Another thought is the
                1st Worldwide On30 Module meet is going to be held in Kansas City
                this coming June and I'm sure some of the KC guys could give you
                some direction as to what Standards they are adhering to. My
                thoughts,

                Ron

                --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, stamper keith <k27461@...> wrote:

                > Guys,
                > I am interested building a new module up here. The current
                modules are not conducive to operating Colorado locomotives.
                > As I said to Trevor recently when he came over to my house to
                help set up my card system.
                > Maybe we can discuss further during the meet on Sunday at Art's
                house.
                > Does anyone in the group have ideas about some kind of standards?
                > Regards,
                > Keith
                >

                > Keith Stamper
                > Newmarket, ON
                > Canada
                > L3Y 1B9

              • William Uffelman
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1 11:33 AM
                  The 30+ year old On3Track standards for the mechanical interface have worked well over the years. There is no need to build modules that weigh a ton now that foam and other materials are more readily available.

                  The standard called for a 3/8" lip on both ends of a module to accomodate a 3/4" ply leg top clamping piece so you may want to revisit that issue. Track set back was 6" from front edge and 30" was the recommended width. Jumper tracks/rails were used across the joints. Minimum curve on main was 42" with #6 point type turnouts.

                  Modules built to the standard were used in the first NNGC at Valley Forge and a whole set of EBT modules continue to this day. The standard was developed to allow oval set ups for continuous running but the work fine in straight or other variations. Some of the modules were in NG land in Canada too -- may have had a different leg height for stand alone display.

                  As DCC is popular today the electrical set up should be revisited but individual modules with terminal blocks for the local trackage can accomodate any kind of control system if done correctly (almost an impossible dream most days!)

                  I am told that my old modules still soldier on somewhere in Missouri.

                  Bill Uffelman
                  Las Vegas NV

                  Ron Proffitt <rgs455@...> wrote:
                  Keith,
                  I was in Oklahoma City Tuesday with Mark Gardner and he said the
                  OKC group was contemplating doing the same; starting a On3 or On30
                  module group. His initial thought was to have everyone interested
                  get together and design a set of standards. Another thought is the
                  1st Worldwide On30 Module meet is going to be held in Kansas City
                  this coming June and I'm sure some of the KC guys could give you
                  some direction as to what Standards they are adhering to. My
                  thoughts,

                  Ron

                  --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, stamper keith <k27461@...> wrote:

                  > Guys,
                  > I am interested building a new module up here. The current
                  modules are not conducive to operating Colorado locomotives.
                  > As I said to Trevor recently when he came over to my house to
                  help set up my card system.
                  > Maybe we can discuss further during the meet on Sunday at Art's
                  house.
                  > Does anyone in the group have ideas about some kind of standards?
                  > Regards,
                  > Keith
                  >

                  > Keith Stamper
                  > Newmarket, ON
                  > Canada
                  > L3Y 1B9

                • stamper keith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2 9:07 AM
                    Hi Fred,
                    Yes, that would be great. Pity that it's so far from my house to yours.
                    Yes, see you in Kimberton.
                    Regards,
                    Keith

                    Keith Stamper
                    Newmarket, ON
                    Canada
                    L3Y 1B9

                  • stamper keith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 2 9:11 AM
                      Hi Ron,
                      Thanks for the information. I have been thinking about a module with some of the guys up here in Toronto. A FreeMo style would probably work well.
                      The Maple Leaf Mafia Modules are of a similar design as we built them without any real thought of connecting to another system.
                      Initially, they were designed with interconnections in mind, but as the meets have primarily focused on stand alone displays, FreeMo seems to be the way to go.
                      Take care,
                      Keith

                      Keith Stamper
                      Newmarket, ON
                      Canada
                      L3Y 1B9

                    • Trevor Marshall
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 29 11:12 AM
                        Hi Dennis:

                        > On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:41 PM, dennis_tebo wrote:
                        >
                        > > Look at the workbooks on http://www.blazeksplans.net
                        > >
                        > > Mike has one for Cimarron.
                        > >
                        > > Dennis

                        Just wanted to thank you again for the suggestion, from a month or so ago. I just recevied
                        Mike's Cimarron workbook and set of plans and they're fantastic!

                        Happy new year!

                        - Trevor in Toronto