First Step

  • James A. Arrow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
      I don't think that I ever gave an intro so here it goes. I live
      in Rochester, NY and have been modeling 1:20.3. I belong to a
      large scale modular group and own two modules, but this info is
      geared more towards other lists. I'll be moving into a new house
      within the next couple of months and decided to build an 0n2/0n3
      layout along the lines of Gilpin/C&S. I have no previous
      experience with 0n2 or 0n3 so please be patient with my questions.
      I have been a long time fan of Gilpin but know very little of the
      C&S. I'd appreciate any sources that people can point me to along
      those lines. I also lurk on a number of list pertaining to other
      scales because you never know what kind of useful information you
      might be able to gather.

      Well, the first step that I've taken in building my 0n2/0n3 empire
      was in acquiring a Grandt line C&S 4 wheel caboose and interior kit.
      This should give me something to occupy my time until moving day.
      One thing that I want to do is get some metal wheel sets to
      replace the plastic sets that came with the kit. Any suggestions?

      I've also noticed that many rolling stock kits do not include trucks
      /wheel sets. I'd also appreciate suggestions along those lines as well.

      Thanks,
      Jim Arrow
      Rochester, NY
    • Chuck Lind
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
        Jim
        NWSL and Precision both make metal wheel sets that will fit that kit. As
        far as trucks there are several options with Grandt and San Juan being the
        easiest to locate plus a few others. Drop me a line off list or check out
        my site.
        Chuck Lind
        Tall Pine Model Railroading Supplies
        (409) 775-5674
        tallpine@...
        www.tallpinerr.com

        ----------
        > From: James A. Arrow <arrow@...>
        > To: 0n3 Group <on3@onelist.com>
        > Subject: [on3] First Step
        > Date: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 12:39 PM
        >
        > From: "James A. Arrow" <arrow@...>
        >
        > I don't think that I ever gave an intro so here it goes. I live
        > in Rochester, NY and have been modeling 1:20.3. I belong to a
        > large scale modular group and own two modules, but this info is
        > geared more towards other lists. I'll be moving into a new house
        > within the next couple of months and decided to build an 0n2/0n3
        > layout along the lines of Gilpin/C&S. I have no previous
        > experience with 0n2 or 0n3 so please be patient with my questions.
        > I have been a long time fan of Gilpin but know very little of the
        > C&S. I'd appreciate any sources that people can point me to along
        > those lines. I also lurk on a number of list pertaining to other
        > scales because you never know what kind of useful information you
        > might be able to gather.
        >
        > Well, the first step that I've taken in building my 0n2/0n3 empire
        > was in acquiring a Grandt line C&S 4 wheel caboose and interior kit.
        > This should give me something to occupy my time until moving day.
        > One thing that I want to do is get some metal wheel sets to
        > replace the plastic sets that came with the kit. Any suggestions?
        >
        > I've also noticed that many rolling stock kits do not include trucks
        > /wheel sets. I'd also appreciate suggestions along those lines as well.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jim Arrow
        > Rochester, NY
        >
        > > "Model Railroading IS Fun!"
      • Fred Folk
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
          James,
          There are a few places that have wheel sets depends on what kind you want
          and what you want to spend.
          PSC makes great wheel sets you can also get complete trucks from San Juan
          and Grandt Line. Chech with some hobby shops Caboose in Denver is a good
          place to start or contact manufactures direct.
          Fred

        • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
            Jim:

            I have sourced out nearly everything needed for narrow gauge in On3, On2
            and HOn3 from Coronado Scale Models. They only have phone
            contact..602-254-9656

            They are great folks and VERY knowledgable on this...and, have near all you
            could want in stock.

            Hope this is helpful.

            Aloha, Boone