Re: [on3] Art of Weathering

  • Brian Rumary
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2005
      I think a lot of the problem is that too many of us "model other
      models", rather than the real thing. That is, we tend to copy the work
      we see in magazines and at model shows, without checking back to
      reality.

      Brian Rumary, England

      www.rumary.co.uk
    • eci305@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 1, 2005
        Brian

        I find that for modeling early logging lines reference books are life savers,
        I take black and
        white pictures of the layout scenes I have copied from the books and compare
        them with the photos in the book if they are the same and If it is hard to
        tell the difference I have done well.
        I use trees and high hills as scenery blocks and have about 10 scenes on the
        Coon Creek
        that I have taken from books on logging. One of the things that too many
        layouts have is too much track, if you study the pictures in the reference books
        you will see very little track with alot of scenery. The other thing that
        makes the illusion of distance and alot of scenery for very little space are
        backdrops.

        Lou Ullian

      • boone
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 1, 2005
          >I think a lot of the problem is that too many of us "model other
          >models", rather than the real thing. That is, we tend to copy the work
          >we see in magazines and at model shows, without checking back to
          >reality.
          >
          >Brian Rumary, England
          >
          >www.rumary.co.uk

          Brian: WONDERFUL OBSERVATION!!!! You are SO correct. Getting proto
          data is so important - and the best is to be around the real
          thing...old buildings, railroad equipment, etc. I think this gives
          us experiences which we take with us to the bench to serve as a
          "guideline" to modeling.

          Aloha, Boone