Holding a Model Railroad Open House

  • Harold Minkwitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have a web article about the experiences of holding an open house
      for my railroad in November 2004.

      http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/basement_follies/

      Thank you if you visit
      Harold
    • humetrains
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Ahhh, the yearly model model open house, the time of year when a
        whole year's modelling gets compressed into 2 weeks for 8 hours of
        enjoyment. I found many people came expecting an On30 layout, and the
        most common question was "what is the difference?" Last year we gor
        100 people in 12 hours, but in past years we have crammed in 170 in 8
        hours. The most helpful thing was having a second operator, so that
        the layout owner was free to speak to visitors, while the trains
        continued to run in the background (thanks Dave). Layout tours also
        are great for finding cars that want to derail, turnouts that won't
        throw, turntables that fail to index and so on (even though
        everything worked perfectly 30 minutes prior to opening). So far I've
        been lucky that no vehicles or people have not vanished from my
        layout, others have not been so fortunate (also a good reason to have
        a second set of eyes). Good thing too that envirotex does not show
        fingerprints, I wish I had a dollar for every person that touched my
        river. I think it must be human nature to touch things, and
        thankfully my layout is built stout enough to handle touching. I
        allow photography, but sometimes I wonder if shady folks are casing
        the joint when they start taking pictures of everything. Oh, and I
        think this year we will have some meadow fresh lilac scent for those
        visitors who come and linger and remain lingering long after they
        have left.

        Brian

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Minkwitz" <the_minkys@j...> wrote:

        > I have a web article about the experiences of holding an open house
        > for my railroad in November 2004.
        >
        > http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/basement_follies/
        >
        > Thank you if you visit
        > Harold
      • rickshoup
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          When I had my first open house, I poured the river the night before. I
          made a sign:
          "Please don't touch the river. It's still wet."
          =========== ========= =========
          Rick Shoup Look at www.sccmrrc.org
          rshoup@...
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          > Ahhh, the yearly model model open house, the time of year when a
          > whole year's modelling gets compressed into 2 weeks for 8 hours of
          > enjoyment. I found many people came expecting an On30 layout, and
          > the
          > most common question was "what is the difference?" Last year we gor
          > 100 people in 12 hours, but in past years we have crammed in 170 in
          > 8
          > hours. The most helpful thing was having a second operator, so that
          > the layout owner was free to speak to visitors, while the trains
          > continued to run in the background (thanks Dave). Layout tours also
          > are great for finding cars that want to derail, turnouts that won't
          > throw, turntables that fail to index and so on (even though
          > everything worked perfectly 30 minutes prior to opening). So far
          > I've
          > been lucky that no vehicles or people have not vanished from my
          > layout, others have not been so fortunate (also a good reason to
          > have
          > a second set of eyes). Good thing too that envirotex does not show
          > fingerprints, I wish I had a dollar for every person that touched my
          > river. I think it must be human nature to touch things, and
          > thankfully my layout is built stout enough to handle touching. I
          > allow photography, but sometimes I wonder if shady folks are casing
          > the joint when they start taking pictures of everything. Oh, and I
          > think this year we will have some meadow fresh lilac scent for those
          > visitors who come and linger and remain lingering long after they
          > have left.
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Minkwitz" <the_minkys@j...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I have a web article about the experiences of holding an open house
          >> for my railroad in November 2004.
          >>
          >> http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/basement_follies/
          >>
          >> Thank you if you visit
          >> Harold
          >

          > Remember, additional On3 photos and files can now be found at:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fred Folk
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            Mornin Brian,
            Your right, when I have open I try to have at least 2 fellows here to
            operate so I can talk to people. When I have open for Rail Fest it seems
            everyone comes at once and if you try to operate and talk to people at the
            same time all kinds of things go wrong. Never had a problem with sticky
            fingers although I've had some that never want to leave.