Re: [on3] Re: Automobiles

  • John Pilling
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      Mike,
      Crosley made a two cylinder "V" engine before the 2nd WW and used a four
      cylinder in-line engine following that conflict. The 4 cyl. engine was
      used during the war to power an APU or auxilary power generating rig and
      was used on some aircraft for that purpose, I believe one application
      was on a B-29 bomber. The early Crosley 4 cylinder engines were
      fabricated from steel components that were furnace brazed together and
      were known by the acronym "COBRA" or copper brazed. Later, when this
      engine was being used to power a small automobile, it was found due to
      manufacturing problems the engine leaked water from the internal water
      passages. The manufacturer attempted to seal these leaks by galvanizing
      the blocks which set up a galvanic action causing more problems than the
      leaks. A cast iron version was designed and built which solved the
      leakage problems, made for a stronger engine, and was the version that
      was used as an outboard motor. The acronym for this version was "CIBA"
      or cast iron block. Along with the outboard, this engine was used to
      power a class of hydroplanes and, I believe, midget racing cars. The
      engine was constructed with the cylinder head and block in one piece
      requiring the valves and pistons/rods to be assembled from the bottom
      before adding the crankshaft and bolting on the oil pan. An overhead
      camshaft, driven by a tower shaft off the front of the crankshaft, was
      used to actuate the two valves per cylinder. The water pump was driven
      off the end of the generator.
      The engine was light enough to be lifted single-handed although it was a
      little awkward to do so.
      I hope the above description helps.
      During the late 50's I owned one of the automobiles produced by Crosley.
      This company also produced appliances including refrigerators and
      washing machines.
      Regards,
      John Pilling
      Uxbridge, MA

    • Kevin Goodrich
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        The Crossley I was referring to was a 4 door version. Some rather
        cute looking cars. Interesting that they made outboard motors as
        well.

        Kevin

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "rickshoup" <rshoup@t...> wrote:
        > Kevin,
        > Crossleys were made during WW-II somewhere
        > and after WW-II they were used as the primemover
        > in Outboard Motors.
        > The entire outboard was called a Fagle.
        > The 4 cylinder Crossley sat on top of a Scott Attwater lower unit.
        > My Father used one for 5-6 years in NJ.
        > Very reliable 4 cycle fishing boat motor.
        > ===============================
        > Rick Shoup
        > Please only use rshoup@t...
        > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        American
        > > > late 1920s
        > > > four door sedan for many years without success - they just
        aren't
        > > out
        > > > there.
        > > > The closest I could find was a late 1920s Volvo diecast from
        > Europe
        > > > which
        > > > looks very close to a Dodge, Essex etc.
        > > > There's heaps of Model Ts around (but not in four door sedan
        form)
        > > > yet if
        > > > you look at a photo of a main street in the late 1920s and early
        > > > 1930s -
        > > > another good photo is the landing of a pioneer aeroplane
        flight -
        > > it
        > > > is full
        > > > of large American four door sedans.
        > > >
        > > > evan
        > > >

        > > > on 30/8/04 11:22 PM, on3@yahoogroups.com at on3@yahoogroups.com

        > automobile
        > > Renwall
        > > > kits
        > > A)
        > > > and the
        > > > manufacturer can't
        > > > suitable for
        > > > parts. A
        > > background.
        > > > Save the
        > (if
        > > > you can

        > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
        > Sponsor --------------------~-->
        > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/KaCslB/TM

      • Cliff
          > > Crossleys were made during WW-II somewhere
          > > and after WW-II they were used as the primemover
          > > in Outboard Motors.
          > > The entire outboard was called a Fagle.
          > > The 4 cylinder Crossley sat on top of a Scott Attwater lower unit.
          > > My Father used one for 5-6 years in NJ.
          > > Very reliable 4 cycle fishing boat motor.
          > > ===============================
          > > Rick Shoup
          > XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
          > In a prior business, i used to be "the gasket king co. ltd"
          > specializing in New original "old stock" engine gaskets for 1909---
          > 1950 cars trucks tractors motorcycles marine, farm lighting motors
          > and virtually anything that required a cylinder head gasket. If
          > memory serves me correctly the crosley used a very small 2 cylinder
          > motor and the application books showed it began production from 1939
          > and up. The motor used 1 headgasket per head (needed 2 per motor)
          > and were made of straight copper with no asbestos sandwich between
          > the copper. I sold them to somebody on my "stump that gasket king"
          > running contest in hemmings motor news.
          > madmike
          >

          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
          Sponsor --------------------~-->
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/KaCslB/TM

          Remember, additional On3 photos and files can now be found at:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • rickshoup
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            Kevin,
            The Fagle or Fagel? bought the Crossley prime mover and coupled it to
            the Attwater lower unit.
            Dad junked his after the Thrust bearing at bottom
            failed from weight of gas motor above it.
            2 Carbs which would support 2 sets of 2 cylinders.
            It would hum right along.
            It was fastened to a 19 ft boat and could go out Brielle (sp) Inlet
            (NJ) against the tide.
            At that time there were not too many
            outboards that strong.
            These were days before 50 hp outboards
            ===============================
            Rick Shoup
            Please only use rshoup@...
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            > The Crossley I was referring to was a 4 door version. Some rather
            > cute looking cars. Interesting that they made outboard motors as
            > well.
            >
            > Kevin
            >

            > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "rickshoup" <rshoup@t...> wrote:
            > > Kevin,
            > > Crossleys were made during WW-II somewhere
            > > and after WW-II they were used as the primemover
            > > in Outboard Motors.
            > > The entire outboard was called a Fagle.
            > > The 4 cylinder Crossley sat on top of a Scott Attwater lower unit.
            > > My Father used one for 5-6 years in NJ.
            > > Very reliable 4 cycle fishing boat motor.
            > > ===============================
            > > Rick Shoup
            > > Please only use rshoup@t...
            > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          • rickshoup
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
              Gads, we are an old bunch of knowledge aren't we.
              I'm 72. I suspect most of the responders are close, else how would we
              remember all this stuff?
              ===============================
              Rick Shoup
              Please only use rshoup@...
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              > Crosley made a two cylinder "V" engine before the 2nd WW and used a
              four
              > cylinder in-line engine following that conflict. The 4 cyl. engine
              was
              > used during the war to power an APU or auxilary power generating rig
              and
              > was used on some aircraft for that purpose, I believe one
              application
              > was on a B-29 bomber. The early Crosley 4 cylinder engines were
              > fabricated from steel components that were furnace brazed together
              and
              > were known by the acronym "COBRA" or copper brazed. Later, when this
              > engine was being used to power a small automobile, it was found due
              > manufacturing problems the engine leaked water from the internal
              water
              > passages. The manufacturer attempted to seal these leaks by
              galvanizing
              > the blocks which set up a galvanic action causing more problems than
              the
              > leaks. A cast iron version was designed and built which solved the
              > leakage problems, made for a stronger engine, and was the version
              that
              > was used as an outboard motor. The acronym for this version was
              "CIBA"
              > or cast iron block. Along with the outboard, this engine was used to
              > power a class of hydroplanes and, I believe, midget racing cars. The
              > engine was constructed with the cylinder head and block in one piece
              > requiring the valves and pistons/rods to be assembled from the
              bottom
              > before adding the crankshaft and bolting on the oil pan. An overhead
              > camshaft, driven by a tower shaft off the front of the crankshaft,
              was
              > used to actuate the two valves per cylinder. The water pump was
              driven
              > off the end of the generator.
              > The engine was light enough to be lifted single-handed although it
              was a
              > little awkward to do so.
              > I hope the above description helps.
              > During the late 50's I owned one of the automobiles produced by
              Crosley.
              > This company also produced appliances including refrigerators and
              > washing machines.
              > Regards,
              > John Pilling
              > Uxbridge, MA
              >

              > rickshoup wrote:
              >
              > > Mike, could be.
              > > And perhaps the 4 cylinder was just for the outboard
              > > but I thought Crosley was selling a 4 cylinder auto
              > > also after WW-II. It was 56 years ago now.
              > > So perhaps ............
              > > ===============================
              > > Rick Shoup
              > > Please only use rshoup@...
              > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            • Jim Christensen
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                I went to aviation maintenance school with a kid name Crosley, out of
                Missoula, Montana. He was a direct descendent of the Crosely founder.
                Jim Christensen
                Cottage Grove, Oregon

              • ebtnut@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                  OK, guys. While this hase been entertaining, its gotten WAY away from the original thread, which was 1/48 auto models. Let's wind up that Crosley outboard and head off-line.
                  Thanks, DM