..And now back to On3...water tanks

  • humetrains
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      I'm building a 50,000 water tank (crystal river model) just about 99%
      complete now, but have a few lingering questions
      1. How does the tall gallows post attach at the top (the one which
      has the rope water valve at the top)? Mine is about 1/8" short of
      reaching the underside of the soffit.Were there brackets that held it
      in place?
      2. How do the chains attach to the spout? doesn't seem to be any
      eyebolts or the like attached to the spout, the directions don't show
      or tell how.
      3. What is the routing of the water valve pull rope?
      4. How does the water level indicator enter the tank

      The ghost depot Chama water tank site was useful for some things, but
      all the pictures are cut off at the top.
      Similarly the article in Narrow Guage and Short Line Gazette on
      building one (the one that has pipe cleaners for baby birds) does not
      show any detail shots of this either.

      If you have pictures or comments it would be appreciated
      Brian Hume
    • va3cp
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "humetrains" <humetrains@y...> wrote:
        > I'm building a 50,000 water tank (crystal river model) just about
        99%
        > complete now, but have a few lingering questions

        Brian,

        I think you will find all the answers to your questions in the
        following issues of the Gazette. If you don't have all the copies, I
        can arrange for you to get what you need.

        N/D 87, M/A 88, S/O 91, N/D 98

        Dave burroughs
        Hamilton,Ontario

        Visit my On3 D&RGW layout at http://www3.sympatico.ca/va3cp
      • humetrains
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          Sorry Dave, I have all those issues, but none of them show what I am
          looking for, I'm looking for detail shots or diagrams of the top 12"
          of the tanks where the gallows attach, and the mounting hardware.
          Still cannot see where the water valve rope goes after travelling
          over the top pulley, and still can't see where the water level
          indicator enters the tank and how.

          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "va3cp" <va3cp@y...> wrote:
          > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "humetrains" <humetrains@y...> wrote:
          > > I'm building a 50,000 water tank (crystal river model) just about
          > 99%
          > > complete now, but have a few lingering questions
          >

          > Brian,
          >
          > I think you will find all the answers to your questions in the
          > following issues of the Gazette. If you don't have all the copies,
          > can arrange for you to get what you need.
          >
          > N/D 87, M/A 88, S/O 91, N/D 98
          >
          > Dave burroughs
          > Hamilton,Ontario
          >
          > Visit my On3 D&RGW layout at http://www3.sympatico.ca/va3cp
        • rgs42us
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
            Brain, Take the water spout and carefully make to saw cuts at the
            rear of the spout parallel to each other and parallel to the length
            of the spout so you can super glue or epoxy a small piece of brass
            sheet in each saw cut . A hole is drilled i each piece of brass and
            the brass is i the shape of a small triangle with the top rounded.
            The two chains attach to each of these triangle shapes with the other
            end of the chain attached to eyebolts on the spout hanger. see new
            grandt book alamosa to chama for shot of chama tank which shows the
            spout attached with chains. All the tanks were this way so you could
            move the spout around. Mark C
          • John F. Campbell
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              At 6:45 PM +0000 10/1/03, humetrains wrote:

              >Sorry Dave, I have all those issues, but none of them show what I am
              >looking for, I'm looking for detail shots or diagrams of the top 12"
              >of the tanks where the gallows attach, and the mounting hardware.
              >Still cannot see where the water valve rope goes after travelling
              >over the top pulley, and still can't see where the water level
              >indicator enters the tank and how.
              ===================================

              You might try posting your inquiry to the Narrow Gauge Railroad Discussion
              Forum... At least one of the folks restoring the tank just north of
              Needleton has been very generous with his Up-dating of progress being
              made... Perhaps one of the folks in that rehabing group could describe or
              sketch out the info (an image would be nice 8^) and scan it to a GIF or
              JPEG file for you... Worth a try, eh?
              http://www.ngdiscussion.net/cgi-bin/NGDFcook.pl?noframes

              Cordially... John
            • mtalbertscalelumber
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                Hi Brian:
                I took some photos of two tank spouts sitting on the ground at Chama
                last month, and I'll try to find them and email them direct to you.
                They show the detail of the bracket at the rear of the spout quite
                clearly. Can't help you with the other stuff.
                Gerry
              • humetrains
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                  That would be great Gerry, I can't believe others on this list
                  haven't done the same in their quest to scratchbuild their tanks.
                  So far this is the best picture I have
                  http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/images/san%20juan%20branch/chama%20water%
                  20tank%

                  but as you can see the mounting hardware is impossible to distinguish
                  from this angle, as are the entrance holes for the water valve and
                  water level indicators.
                  --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "mtalbertscalelumber" <gerry@c...> wrote:
                  > Hi Brian:
                  > I took some photos of two tank spouts sitting on the ground at
                  Chama
                  > last month, and I'll try to find them and email them direct to you.
                  > They show the detail of the bracket at the rear of the spout quite
                  > clearly. Can't help you with the other stuff.
                  > Gerry
                • humetrains
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Thanks to imagerod who sent me a set of instuctions from his Durango
                    Press kit, just wondering if someone else has a set of instructions
                    from a V&T shops kit or the like.