Re: Olivia Skeds

  • Bob Baker
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 21, 2007
      I meant to say 1838.75 (center) not 1835.75;
      The static crashes have returned here, making any DX impossible for
      the moment.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
        ciao to all, i'm very happy that enthusiasm is arising for olivia in 160, usually me with daniel hb9tpl and juergen dl8le are on 1838 usb with olivia 500/16 at around 05.00 am utc; please note that in some european countries (like italy) the 160 mt band is very limited, from 1830 to 1850 only so some of us cannot sked lower or upper these limits. let's keep on trying !! 73 and hope to read all of you on my computer. massimo iz0gkz

        Bob Baker <wa5kvb@...> ha scritto:
        I meant to say 1838.75 (center) not 1835.75;
        The static crashes have returned here, making any DX impossible for
        the moment.

        Bob
        --- In oliviadata@yahoogro ups.com, "Bob Baker" <wa5kvb@...> wrote:

        > Greetings everyone,
        >
        > If any of you have any interest in trying skeds on the lower bands,
        > please let me know. At the moment, I am most interested in making
        > contacts on 160m before the "season" ends, but other bands are welcome
        > as well.
        >
        > On weekday evenings I am available between about 0000 and 0500 UTC;
        > later on weekends. I am also on for a short period before work at
        > about 1215-1300 UTC. You may find me fruitlessly calling CQ between
        > 0400 and 0500 the next couple of days at 1835.75, 500/16.
        >
        > I am in central Texas, and operating from a small city lot with a
        > modest vertical antenna, but have nonetheless had some degree of
        > success on the lower bands including 160m. Recent contacts with
        > Massimo (iz0gkz) and Daniel (hb9tpl) on 80M and one contact with
        > Daniel on 160M has left me with great enthusiasm for Olivia on the low
        > bands. The only problem is with the lack activity.
        >
        > 73
        > Bob, WA5KVB
        > wa5kvb(at)yahoo. com

      • dl8le
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
          I was calling in Olivia 500/16 on 1838 (dialing frequency, USB) + 500
          Hz this morning between 04.00 and 05.00 UTC (up to 05.10 UTC), and
          tried to have a qso with Mike, KL7AR. Unfortunately I didn't here
          anything at all from him even though A and K figures are quite low at
          the moment (and Mike didn't copy me either). I had a lot of static
          crashes as well. My sunrise today was at 05.08 UTC, i.e. tomorrow it
          will be two minutes later. There were a couple of PSK signals,
          however, from very weak to strong. I will be there again on Friday
          morning starting at 04.00 UTC (should be Thursday evening in the US).
          I will call at 04.00 UTC, 04.02 UTC, 04.04 UTC et. for about a minute
          and listen at 04.01 UTC, 04.03 UTC etc. Due to the WPX SSB contest
          next weekend I will not try anything on 160m on Saturday and Sunday
          morning, because the SSB QRM throughout the band will not allow any
          successful digital dx on my side.

          Hope to meet as many of you tomorrow as possible.

          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Baker" <wa5kvb@...> wrote:

          > I meant to say 1838.75 (center) not 1835.75;
          > The static crashes have returned here, making any DX impossible for
          > the moment.
          >
          > Bob
          > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Baker" <wa5kvb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings everyone,
          > >
          > > If any of you have any interest in trying skeds on the lower
          bands,
          > > please let me know. At the moment, I am most interested in making
          > > contacts on 160m before the "season" ends, but other bands are
          welcome
          > > as well.
          > >
          > > On weekday evenings I am available between about 0000 and 0500
          UTC;
          > > later on weekends. I am also on for a short period before work at
          > > about 1215-1300 UTC. You may find me fruitlessly calling CQ
          between
          > > 0400 and 0500 the next couple of days at 1835.75, 500/16.
          > >
          > > I am in central Texas, and operating from a small city lot with a
          > > modest vertical antenna, but have nonetheless had some degree of
          > > success on the lower bands including 160m. Recent contacts with
          > > Massimo (iz0gkz) and Daniel (hb9tpl) on 80M and one contact with
          > > Daniel on 160M has left me with great enthusiasm for Olivia on
          the low
          > > bands. The only problem is with the lack activity.
          > >
          > > 73
          > > Bob, WA5KVB
          > > wa5kvb(at)yahoo.com

        • dl8le
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
            Sorry: sunrise will not be later as stated below but two minutes
            earlier, i.e. at 05.06 UTC ...

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "dl8le" <dl8le@...> wrote:

            > I was calling in Olivia 500/16 on 1838 (dialing frequency, USB) +
            500
            > Hz this morning between 04.00 and 05.00 UTC (up to 05.10 UTC), and
            > tried to have a qso with Mike, KL7AR. Unfortunately I didn't here
            > anything at all from him even though A and K figures are quite low
            at
            > the moment (and Mike didn't copy me either). I had a lot of static
            > crashes as well. My sunrise today was at 05.08 UTC, i.e. tomorrow
            it
            > will be two minutes later. There were a couple of PSK signals,
            > however, from very weak to strong. I will be there again on Friday
            > morning starting at 04.00 UTC (should be Thursday evening in the
            US).
            > I will call at 04.00 UTC, 04.02 UTC, 04.04 UTC et. for about a
            minute
            > and listen at 04.01 UTC, 04.03 UTC etc. Due to the WPX SSB contest
            > next weekend I will not try anything on 160m on Saturday and Sunday
            > morning, because the SSB QRM throughout the band will not allow any
            > successful digital dx on my side.
            >
            > Hope to meet as many of you tomorrow as possible.
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Juergen, DL8LE
            >
            > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Baker" <wa5kvb@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I meant to say 1838.75 (center) not 1835.75;
            > > The static crashes have returned here, making any DX impossible
            for
            > > the moment.
            > >
            > > Bob
            > > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Baker" <wa5kvb@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Greetings everyone,
            > > >
            > > > If any of you have any interest in trying skeds on the lower
            > bands,
            > > > please let me know. At the moment, I am most interested in
            making
            > > > contacts on 160m before the "season" ends, but other bands are
            > welcome
            > > > as well.
            > > >
            > > > On weekday evenings I am available between about 0000 and 0500
            > UTC;
            > > > later on weekends. I am also on for a short period before work
            at
            > > > about 1215-1300 UTC. You may find me fruitlessly calling CQ
            > between
            > > > 0400 and 0500 the next couple of days at 1835.75, 500/16.
            > > >
            > > > I am in central Texas, and operating from a small city lot with
            > > > modest vertical antenna, but have nonetheless had some degree of
            > > > success on the lower bands including 160m. Recent contacts with
            > > > Massimo (iz0gkz) and Daniel (hb9tpl) on 80M and one contact with
            > > > Daniel on 160M has left me with great enthusiasm for Olivia on
            > the low
            > > > bands. The only problem is with the lack activity.
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > > Bob, WA5KVB
            > > > wa5kvb(at)yahoo.com

          • Andrew O'Brien
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
              Hi Jurgen, I will listen for you.
              Andy K3UK

              --
              Andy K3UK
              Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
                I could copy WA5KVB and N9GUE last night, but I
                guess neither of them could copy me. I'm only
                running 50 watts.
              • Bob Baker
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
                  Juergen,

                  What are the band edges in Germany? When I worked hb9tpl, it was also
                  during an ssb contest, and we moved down to 1811 to avoid them. Their
                  low end is apparently 1810.

                  73
                  Bob

                • Andrew O'Brien

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
                      Yes, Bob, the lower band edge for Region I is 1810 khz, whereas the
                      SSB portion starts at 1840, i.e. dialing frequency 1843 (most of the
                      SSB stations don't respect that the lower part of their spectrum
                      should not be below 1840)..

                    • dl8le
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 22, 2007
                        Will move to 3583 + 500 Hz at 05.10 UTC, using PSKAM10, DominoEX4 and
                        Olivia. Nothing copied so far on 160.

                        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien" <andrewobrie@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Bad seems quiet tonight, not that much QRN.
                        >
                        > Andy K3UK
                        >
                        > On 3/22/07, jhaynesatalumni <jhhaynes@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I could copy WA5KVB and N9GUE last night, but I
                        > > guess neither of them could copy me. I'm only
                        > > running 50 watts.
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Andy K3UK
                        > Skype Me : callto://andyobrien73
                        > www.obriensweb.com

                      • Carol & Fred Darrah
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 23, 2007
                          Decoded DL8LE at 0504 UTC on 160 meters,calling CQ. Only one time with perfect copy. Local WX spring storms lots of lightning. Very bad conditions for receive. I think opportunity for QSO's on 160 will get less as this winter season ends                                                                                                                             Good Luck  Fred  N9GUE
                        • dl8le
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 23, 2007
                            Thanks for the report, Fred. 05.04 UTC was just around my sunrise
                            which was at 05.06 UTC. I had a lot of static noise here as well
                            because of some snow we had this morning.

                            Regarding qso's on 160m at the end of this winter season I am afraid
                            that you are right ... I will improve my receiving situation, but
                            this will depend a little bit on the weather. I will see if this will
                            help.

                            Thanks again for listening and hope that at the end we will also have
                            a qso on 160!

                            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Carol & Fred Darrah <cfdarrah@...>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 23, 2007
                              I copied "de dl8le dl8le" once, between the static crashes, shortly
                              after 0400. I called once or twice, but couldn't tell exactly when
                              Juergen was through calling. I went to bed just after 0500.

                              I also noticed that on the cluster spots, all cw activity died after
                              0400. I don't know if this just means everyone went to bed, or that
                              they are not experiencing gray line enhancement.

                              This group site was unavailable for awhile, so I couldn't check for
                              the planned Tx times. Hope we can try it again sometime. A lot of
                              things have to be right for success; low noise, good propagation, Ops
                              available, no ssb, etc.

                              73
                              Bob