Olivia Advantage over PSK31( Re: Activity on 20 meters)

  • dl8le
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
      I had quite a number of DX qso's on 160 m in PSK31, PSK63 and Olivia.
      Comparing PSK31 and PSK63 it is obvious and was proven by all the
      tests I have had that PSK31 is giving you a good print when PSK63 is
      showing up with a large number of incorrect figures already. What I
      have seen as well, however, is that PSK31 was superior to Olivia. In
      fact there was no copy in Olivia very often when there was a
      successful qso in PSK31. Might be that this was due to the program I
      had used for Olivia last winter and spring period. I will be glad to
      schedule some tests at the end of the months if anybody is interested.

      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
      <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

      > > Terry KS9Y wrote:
      > > What advantage is this mode over PSK?
      >
      > I have observed about +5dB to +7dB advantage for Olivia 500/16 over
      > PSK31 for DX QSOs. This often means that a QSO is 100% print on
      Olivia
      > 500/16 when it is impossible to copy using PSK31. It also is
      possible
      > to copy Olivia signals in static noise or QRM conditions that are
      > impossible with PSK31.
      >
      > As an example, the other night, I thought 20 meters was dead,
      because
      > I could not copy any other stations on any other mode. But I worked
      > Paraguay on 14MHz Olivia. Paraguay is about 17000+km away from me,
      > near my antipode, on the other side of the earth from my
      > QTH here in Hong Kong.
      >
      > Olivia is not as well known because it is relatively new compared to
      > PSK31. It takes years for operating trends to develop to mainstream
      > among hams.
      >
      > Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

    • expeditionradio
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
        > no copy in Olivia very often when there was a successful qso
        > in PSK31. Might be that this was due to the program I
        > had used for Olivia last winter and spring period.
        > Juergen, DL8LE

        Hi Juergen,

        I have never seen PSK31 copy superior to Olivia-500/16 or
        Olivia-100/32, on any band, any propagation conditions or QRM.

        Your problem may have been settings of the software. If you are using
        MixW for Olivia: the Frequency Margin and Squelch Threshold are very
        important settings.

        +/-46kHz Frequency Margin is usually optimum. It is sometimes
        difficult to see the Olivia signal precisely on the waterfall for
        tuning. So, to be sure you are on the exact frequency, adjust fine
        tuning of the received signal at the top center of the round scope.

        The Squelch Threshold should be set as low as possible. With no Olivia
        signal received, only receiver noise, set the Squelch Threshold so you
        see a few decode errors printing every 10 or 15 seconds.

        Here is a web page that describes the optimum Olivia settings:
        http://www.hflink.com/olivia/#settings

        73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

        .
      • dl8le
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
          Thanks for the info, Bonnie. I have looked at the web page and let's
          see if the situation will be different this winter. Based on the
          minimum signal-to-noise ratio required I know from Patrick's Multipsk
          I was expecting a better performance and I had arranged a couple of
          skeds on 160m last year. Therefore I was a little bit frustrated when
          I saw the result. If there are some in the group willing to run some
          tests on 160m I would be very glad to do so (weekends only or around
          Christmas because of free time constraints). The setup on 160 is a
          full size Delta Loop with the upper vertex about 33 m above ground,
          power out is the legal limit if required. Please send an e-mail for
          arranging a sked.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2006
            hi juergen, concerning olivia on 160 mt, i am always calling dx on 1.838.00 usb in 500/16 every time i can (usually 05.00 or 22.00-23.00 utc) hoping some om could answer. i will keep on doing so.
            ciao,massimo iz0gkz

            http://mail.yahoo.it

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007

              dear all,

               hb9tpl (daniel) and me iz0gkz (massimo) will be on air on saturday 3rd february on 1.830 usb olivia 500/16 at 05.00 utc, to try contacts with our american friends on the other side of the ocean. please join us, let's see if propagation and luckiness will help us !!
              73, ciao  iz0gkz  massimo

              Vinci i biglietti per FIFA World Cup in Germania!
            • P. Joe Atkinson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                Not much chance that I would hear you but...trying, are you guys on ....

                Joe W5CRN