Activity on 20 meters

  • ks9y@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
      I'm new to Olivia and I have some questions. I've been listening on
      14.075.65, and nearby frequencies. Since Friday I've managed to copy one
      station, and worked that station. Why isn't there more activity? What am I
      missing? I was using 500/16. In QSO it seemed terribly slow. What
      advantage is this mode over PSK? I just looking for answers, and just
      trying to learn. Terry KS9Y
    • W4LDE-Ron
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
        Terry,

        Yes there is activity on 20 meters, most of it 32/1000 above 14.103.00
        up to 14.10950.

        At that speed 32/1000 its as fast as some of the other modes, at 16/500
        its slower, however,
        it usually provides 100% copy even when your ears no longer hear the
        signal. Olivia gets through when several other modes do not.

        I have work all over the USA east coast running as little a 1-watt on 80
        and 40 meters testing the mode. Could never think of doing it with
        other modes.

        MFSK is another very powerful mode for lousy band conditions and low
        level signals at a good rate. DominoEX and Contestia by MixW are also
        good in poor conditions at a higher through-put.

        20 meters doesn't really show off the power of those modes above
        including Olivia, if thats the band you use most often, I recommend PSK
        and MFSK as well as the standard RTTY which also is a often over looked
        digital mode for keyboard to keyboard chat.

        USA activities on 40 are up above the PSK crowd usually somewhere
        between 7072 to 7076, some DX down around 7037, give a few calls on
        16/500, please avoid the 32/1000 only to allow for more QSO's using
        other modes like MFSK or Hell.

        Best regards

        Ron W4LDE

        ks9y@... wrote:

        >I'm new to Olivia and I have some questions. I've been listening on
        >14.075.65, and nearby frequencies. Since Friday I've managed to copy one
        >station, and worked that station. Why isn't there more activity? What am I
        >missing? I was using 500/16. In QSO it seemed terribly slow. What
        >advantage is this mode over PSK? I just looking for answers, and just
        >trying to learn. Terry KS9Y
        >

        >--
        >CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)

        >.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrew O'Brien
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
          Aside from 14075, try also in the range 14105.5 to 14109.5, there are often several stations there, mostly using 1000/32.  You will also find stations on 3582 at night, using 500/16 pr 500/8.

          500/16 and 1000/32 are quite slow BUT it is MUCH better than PSK31 for weak signal decoding.

          My gesstimate of the most used digital modes (excluding CW and Pactor ) are:

          1. PSK63
          2. RTTY
          3. Olivia/Contestia
          4. MFSK16
          5. Hell
          6. DominoEx
          7. Packet
          8. MT63

          So, you will see that Olivia is no where near as common as PSK31 but it is more popular than quite a few other modes.

          On 12/4/06, ks9y@... <ks9y@...> wrote:

          I'm new to Olivia and I have some questions. I've been listening on
          14.075.65, and nearby frequencies. Since Friday I've managed to copy one
          station, and worked that station. Why isn't there more activity? What am I
          missing? I was using 500/16. In QSO it seemed terribly slow. What
          advantage is this mode over PSK? I just looking for answers, and just
          trying to learn. Terry KS9Y

          --
          Andy K3UK
          Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
            > Terry KS9Y wrote:
            > What advantage is this mode over PSK?

            I have observed about +5dB to +7dB advantage for Olivia 500/16 over
            PSK31 for DX QSOs. This often means that a QSO is 100% print on Olivia
            500/16 when it is impossible to copy using PSK31. It also is possible
            to copy Olivia signals in static noise or QRM conditions that are
            impossible with PSK31.

            As an example, the other night, I thought 20 meters was dead, because
            I could not copy any other stations on any other mode. But I worked
            Paraguay on 14MHz Olivia. Paraguay is about 17000+km away from me,
            near my antipode, on the other side of the earth from my
            QTH here in Hong Kong.

            Olivia is not as well known because it is relatively new compared to
            PSK31. It takes years for operating trends to develop to mainstream
            among hams.

            Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA
          • Chris Gerber
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
              Hi Bonnie

              Nice someone is coming up praising the Olivia mode again.
              Seems to me, it has been  forgotten, due the bad DX condx we have.
              I work Dick 3D2BA again very day here in HB for the last few days and
              we have had sked every day last year or so. Also regular Olivia contacts to
              VK2DSK and ZL as well as JA stations.
              But we used mostly 1000/32 because of the strong Pactor III
              qrm we have on the Olivia Channels at 14108.500 Khz and each 1000Hz
              downwards. I know the 500/16 mode works well too.
              We have been using this mode right from the start 3 years ago and  I have
              worked close to 70 countries on it.

              73 Chris HB9BDM

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                > Chris HB9BDM wrote:
                > Seems to me, it has been forgotten, due the bad DX condx we have.
                > But we used mostly 1000/32 because of the strong Pactor III
                > qrm we have on the Olivia Channels at 14108.500 Khz and each 1000Hz

                Hi Chris,

                Yes, I agree, many operators are QRT due to bad DX propagation now at
                the bottom of the solar cycle.

                But I tell all my ham friends that the bands are still open
                for Olivia :)

                I can use Olivia to work DX at my high rise hotel with a simple window
                antenna. With Olivia, my 25W seems like a kilowatt!

                My favorite frequency for Olivia 500/16 is 14076.4kHz (14075.65 USB)
                because there is very little QRM.

                I will post my new operating schedule in a few weeks. I hope to work
                you some time.

                73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA
              • Andrew O'Brien
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                  By the way, I will be helping a ham to conduct a science fair project this weekend.  On Sunday I will be establishing contact with a station in the U.S. state of Georgia at 2, 4, and 6 PM (local time) and transmitting identical text in PSK31 and Olivia.  The Georgia station will then conduct analysis of the text to determine if the is a significant difference in the accuracy of the text.  Our tentative plan is to use 14075 if the frequency is free.   Since I cannot transmit Olivia and PSK31 at the same time, I am not sure how they will account for possible brief shifts in propagation that could impact the realiability of the experiment .  I may send brief text transmissions , and switch back and forth several times.  That would give them enough 'samples' to compare that would be statistically valid enough to rule out chance propagation shifts.

                  Andy K3UK

                  On 12/6/06, expeditionradio <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                  > Chris HB9BDM wrote:
                  > Seems to me, it has been forgotten, due the bad DX condx we have.
                  > But we used mostly 1000/32 because of the strong Pactor III
                  > qrm we have on the Olivia Channels at 14108.500 Khz and each 1000Hz

                  Hi Chris,

                  Yes, I agree, many operators are QRT due to bad DX propagation now at
                  the bottom of the solar cycle.

                  But I tell all my ham friends that the bands are still open
                  for Olivia :)

                  I can use Olivia to work DX at my high rise hotel with a simple window
                  antenna. With Olivia, my 25W seems like a kilowatt!

                  My favorite frequency for Olivia 500/16 is 14076.4kHz (14075.65 USB)
                  because there is very little QRM.

                  I will post my new operating schedule in a few weeks. I hope to work
                  you some time.

                  73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

                  --
                  Andy K3UK
                  Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73
                  www.obriensweb.com
                • dl8le
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                    I had quite a number of DX qso's on 160 m in PSK31, PSK63 and Olivia.
                    Comparing PSK31 and PSK63 it is obvious and was proven by all the
                    tests I have had that PSK31 is giving you a good print when PSK63 is
                    showing up with a large number of incorrect figures already. What I
                    have seen as well, however, is that PSK31 was superior to Olivia. In
                    fact there was no copy in Olivia very often when there was a
                    successful qso in PSK31. Might be that this was due to the program I
                    had used for Olivia last winter and spring period. I will be glad to
                    schedule some tests at the end of the months if anybody is interested.

                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
                    <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                    > > Terry KS9Y wrote:
                    > > What advantage is this mode over PSK?
                    >
                    > I have observed about +5dB to +7dB advantage for Olivia 500/16 over
                    > PSK31 for DX QSOs. This often means that a QSO is 100% print on
                    Olivia
                    > 500/16 when it is impossible to copy using PSK31. It also is
                    possible
                    > to copy Olivia signals in static noise or QRM conditions that are
                    > impossible with PSK31.
                    >
                    > As an example, the other night, I thought 20 meters was dead,
                    because
                    > I could not copy any other stations on any other mode. But I worked
                    > Paraguay on 14MHz Olivia. Paraguay is about 17000+km away from me,
                    > near my antipode, on the other side of the earth from my
                    > QTH here in Hong Kong.
                    >
                    > Olivia is not as well known because it is relatively new compared to
                    > PSK31. It takes years for operating trends to develop to mainstream
                    > among hams.
                    >
                    > Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

                  • expeditionradio
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                      > no copy in Olivia very often when there was a successful qso
                      > in PSK31. Might be that this was due to the program I
                      > had used for Olivia last winter and spring period.
                      > Juergen, DL8LE

                      Hi Juergen,

                      I have never seen PSK31 copy superior to Olivia-500/16 or
                      Olivia-100/32, on any band, any propagation conditions or QRM.

                      Your problem may have been settings of the software. If you are using
                      MixW for Olivia: the Frequency Margin and Squelch Threshold are very
                      important settings.

                      +/-46kHz Frequency Margin is usually optimum. It is sometimes
                      difficult to see the Olivia signal precisely on the waterfall for
                      tuning. So, to be sure you are on the exact frequency, adjust fine
                      tuning of the received signal at the top center of the round scope.

                      The Squelch Threshold should be set as low as possible. With no Olivia
                      signal received, only receiver noise, set the Squelch Threshold so you
                      see a few decode errors printing every 10 or 15 seconds.

                      Here is a web page that describes the optimum Olivia settings:
                      http://www.hflink.com/olivia/#settings

                      73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

                      .
                    • dl8le
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Thanks for the info, Bonnie. I have looked at the web page and let's
                        see if the situation will be different this winter. Based on the
                        minimum signal-to-noise ratio required I know from Patrick's Multipsk
                        I was expecting a better performance and I had arranged a couple of
                        skeds on 160m last year. Therefore I was a little bit frustrated when
                        I saw the result. If there are some in the group willing to run some
                        tests on 160m I would be very glad to do so (weekends only or around
                        Christmas because of free time constraints). The setup on 160 is a
                        full size Delta Loop with the upper vertex about 33 m above ground,
                        power out is the legal limit if required. Please send an e-mail for
                        arranging a sked.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2006
                          hi juergen, concerning olivia on 160 mt, i am always calling dx on 1.838.00 usb in 500/16 every time i can (usually 05.00 or 22.00-23.00 utc) hoping some om could answer. i will keep on doing so.
                          ciao,massimo iz0gkz

                          http://mail.yahoo.it

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007

                            dear all,

                             hb9tpl (daniel) and me iz0gkz (massimo) will be on air on saturday 3rd february on 1.830 usb olivia 500/16 at 05.00 utc, to try contacts with our american friends on the other side of the ocean. please join us, let's see if propagation and luckiness will help us !!
                            73, ciao  iz0gkz  massimo

                            Vinci i biglietti per FIFA World Cup in Germania!
                          • P. Joe Atkinson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                              Not much chance that I would hear you but...trying, are you guys on ....

                              Joe W5CRN