FCC's error erratum?

  • Briggs Longbothum
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 23, 2006
      Bonnie, et al-

      Just an idle question before chowing down on the Thanksgiving Day menu:

      When the FCC issues any such "Erratum," can this coincide with the
      effective date (30d after pub in the CR) or must it too lag 30 days for
      it's effect?

      New laws and changes to old ones always have that 30 day post-pub
      effective but I'm not sure in this case since the faulty publication
      has not yet become effective. Any definitive answere on this anyone??

      Happy Thanksgiving all! 73, Briggs ab2nj
    • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 23, 2006
        Olivia isn't a J2D emission anyway -- it's F1D, and not subject to the
        500 Hz limitation imposed (erroneously) on all J2D emissions. Reading
        the R&O (not just the rule changes), it's clear that the FCC's intent
        was to allow images up to 500 Hz wide in the non-phone segments, and
        was adding the xxC modes -- and J2D -- to cover them.

        MT63 and other modes that have more complex waveforms than simple
        (from the modulator's perspective) will need the erratum, but Olivia
        is still OK even without it.

        - ps

        Briggs Longbothum wrote:
        > Bonnie, et al-
        >
        > Just an idle question before chowing down on the Thanksgiving Day menu:
        >
        > When the FCC issues any such "Erratum," can this coincide with the
        > effective date (30d after pub in the CR) or must it too lag 30 days for
        > it's effect?
        >
        > New laws and changes to old ones always have that 30 day post-pub
        > effective but I'm not sure in this case since the faulty publication
        > has not yet become effective. Any definitive answere on this anyone??
      • Tom Norris
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 23, 2006
          AFAIK, F1D is direct FSK vs J2D which is AFSK - so in Olivia and
          other multi-tone fsk modes unless you can show an FCC engineer
          that the mode can be directly frequency generated, it's going to
          be considered a J2D signal, most likely.

          In two tone fsk it's not so much of a difference and I can't tell
          even looking at the signal on a service monitor.

          J2D emissions are generated by applying audio to an SSB
          transmitter.

          Tom NU4G

          On Nov 23, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Paul L Schmidt, K9PS wrote:

          > Olivia isn't a J2D emission anyway -- it's F1D, and not subject to the
          > 500 Hz limitation imposed (erroneously) on all J2D emissions. Reading
          > the R&O (not just the rule changes), it's clear that the FCC's intent
          > was to allow images up to 500 Hz wide in the non-phone segments, and
          > was adding the xxC modes -- and J2D -- to cover them.
          >
          > MT63 and other modes that have more complex waveforms than simple
          > (from the modulator's perspective) will need the erratum, but Olivia
          > is still OK even without it.
          >
          > - ps

        • Tom Norris
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 23, 2006
            I left out the comment about two tone fsk being F1B/J2B.....
            -----------------
            Original reply --

            AFAIK, F1D is direct FSK vs J2D which is AFSK - so in Olivia and
            other multi-tone fsk modes unless you can show an FCC engineer
            that the mode can be directly frequency generated, it's going to
            be considered a J2D signal, most likely.

            In two tone fsk it's not so much of a difference and I can't tell
            even looking at the signal on a service monitor.

            J2D emissions are generated by applying audio to an SSB
            transmitter.

            Tom NU4G
          • thierry alves
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
              Hello,
              is there an US station interrested in making some QRP experiemts with MFSK
              modes on 20 m, with power not exceeing 500 mW ?

              Thanks, from F4EOB/F6KQH the ham radio club of the university of Bordeaux.

              Windows Live Messenger sur i-mode™ : dialoguez avec vos amis depuis votre
              mobile comme sur PC ! http://mobile.live.fr/messenger/bouygues/
            • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                Tom Norris wrote:
                > AFAIK, F1D is direct FSK vs J2D which is AFSK - so in Olivia and
                > other multi-tone fsk modes unless you can show an FCC engineer
                > that the mode can be directly frequency generated, it's going to
                > be considered a J2D signal, most likely.

                Olivia is a simple n-tone FSK, and you could do exactly the same
                thing by putting a reactance modulator on the transmitter. Feed the
                data word into a D/A converter and put that into the modulator. It
                might be interesting to get the D/A conversion and reactance modulator
                linear enough to do it correctly, but that's all there is to the
                Olivia waveform (or MFSK16 or Domino).

                > In two tone fsk it's not so much of a difference and I can't tell
                > even looking at the signal on a service monitor.

                You could do the the same thing for MFSK tones...

                > J2D emissions are generated by applying audio to an SSB
                > transmitter.

                A lot of things can be generated that way... N0N, A1A, G1B, etc.

                For example, practically all rigs these days generate CW (A1A)
                signals by mixing a VFO with one or more heterodyne oscillators.
                As long as the mixing is done correctly (with spurious products
                properly supressed), it's indiscernible from an oscillator
                running on the operating frequency.

                The only thing we're doing with sound cards is creating some
                waveform to add into the mix. If that waveform is a Hellschreiber
                signal, we end up with A1B (or A1C, depending on one's definition
                of what the 'symbol' is). If it's RTTY, we have F1B.

                The mode designation should be a description of the resulting
                signal, not necessarily the method by which you generated it.
                (Note that we use J3E for SSB voice, regardless of if we generated
                it by mathematical manipulation directly on the operating frequency
                [the phasing method] or by frequency-shifting an IF signal
                [the filtering method].

                Jxx should be used to describe things that don't have simpler
                explanations - for example, parallel modems like MT63. For
                that mode, you're using a complex waveform consisting of 64
                carriers which are both amplitude and phase modulated.
                Generating that kind of signal directly at an RF frequency
                would be a real bear. The simplest description for that is
                a complex baseband (500-1000, 500-1500, or 500-2500 Hz) waveform,
                shifted up to RF: J2D.

                Of course, once they fix the regs, F1B and J2D will both be
                legal for signals over 500 Hz wide, so it would be legal under
                both definitions... but F1B is the simpler definition.

                > Tom NU4G

              • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                  I just re-checked the Olivia spec -- Pawel *does* do shaping of the
                  waveform in addition to the frequency shift. (It's been a couple of
                  years since I looked at the specs.)

                  That changes Olivia from F1B to D1B, and the process for generating
                  it (directly, without the use of a sound-card and SSB rig) from
                  simple FSK to FSK that is amplitude-modulated with the shaping
                  waveform.

                  Still something that can be done without the use of a sound card
                  source (although a bit more difficult).

                  D1B is still permitted at more than 500 Hz bandwidth, as is F1B.

                  There also seems to be some question as to the third character
                  meanings..

                  Quoting the NTIA Red Book (2005 update, p. 9-24, para. 9.8.2 (c))
                  N No information transmitted.
                  A Telegraphy--for aural reception.
                  B Telegraphy--for automatic reception.
                  C Facsimile.
                  D Data transmission, telemetry, telecommand; (the symbol D
                  indicates that data, telemetry, or telecommand information
                  is being transmitted individually or, that any combination
                  of the three are being transmitted simultaneously. If any
                  combination is being transmitted simultaneously, one of the
                  multichannel symbols, 7, 8, or 9, must be used for the
                  second symbol.)
                  E Telephony (including sound broadcasting).
                  F Television (video).
                  W Combination of the above. (Use only for multi-channel systems
                  having the capability of transmitting all information
                  simultaneously).
                  X Cases not otherwise covered.

                  Olivia is a text-based mode, with the text generally being typed
                  in via a keyboard and displayed on a CRT. Sounds like B to me.
                  But either way (B or D), D1B is allowed as a RTTY emission, and
                  D1D is allowed as a data emission; either is permitted bandwidths
                  in excess of 500 Hz under the new (un-fixed) regulation.

                  - ps
                • Tom Norris
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                    On Nov 24, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Paul L Schmidt, K9PS wrote:
                    > Olivia is a simple n-tone FSK, and you could do exactly the same
                    > thing by putting a reactance modulator on the transmitter. Feed the
                    > data word into a D/A converter and put that into the modulator. It
                    > might be interesting to get the D/A conversion and reactance modulator
                    > linear enough to do it correctly, but that's all there is to the
                    > Olivia waveform (or MFSK16 or Domino).

                    It really shouldn't be so hard with current DDS technology to build
                    an exciter that will do this directly. And I'd be interested in your
                    concept to see if it's possible to get, for example, a T-368 on the
                    air with Olivia. It's set up for an external heterodyne fsk exciter,
                    though if someone came up with a directly driven DDS exciter that
                    would do wonders...

                    > > In two tone fsk it's not so much of a difference and I can't tell
                    > > even looking at the signal on a service monitor.
                    >
                    > You could do the the same thing for MFSK tones...
                    Yep

                    > > J2D emissions are generated by applying audio to an SSB
                    > > transmitter.
                    >
                    > A lot of things can be generated that way... N0N, A1A, G1B, etc.
                    >
                    > For example, practically all rigs these days generate CW (A1A)
                    > signals by mixing a VFO with one or more heterodyne oscillators.
                    > As long as the mixing is done correctly (with spurious products
                    > properly supressed), it's indiscernible from an oscillator
                    > running on the operating frequency.

                    Since the KWM2 at least.

                    > The only thing we're doing with sound cards is creating some
                    > waveform to add into the mix. If that waveform is a Hellschreiber
                    > signal, we end up with A1B (or A1C, depending on one's definition
                    > of what the 'symbol' is). If it's RTTY, we have F1B.
                    >
                    > The mode designation should be a description of the resulting
                    > signal, not necessarily the method by which you generated it.
                    > (Note that we use J3E for SSB voice, regardless of if we generated
                    > it by mathematical manipulation directly on the operating frequency
                    > [the phasing method] or by frequency-shifting an IF signal
                    > [the filtering method].
                    >
                    > Jxx should be used to describe things that don't have simpler
                    > explanations - for example, parallel modems like MT63. For
                    > that mode, you're using a complex waveform consisting of 64
                    > carriers which are both amplitude and phase modulated.
                    > Generating that kind of signal directly at an RF frequency
                    > would be a real bear. The simplest description for that is
                    > a complex baseband (500-1000, 500-1500, or 500-2500 Hz) waveform,
                    > shifted up to RF: J2D.
                    >
                    > Of course, once they fix the regs, F1B and J2D will both be
                    > legal for signals over 500 Hz wide, so it would be legal under
                    > both definitions... but F1B is the simpler definition.

                    I'm not really in disagreement with any of this, it's just that the
                    devil is in the details and many of those details are in the FCC's
                    list of ITU mandated emissions standards as defined in 47 CFR 2
                    subpart D.

                    http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/cfr/title47/part2.html

                    73

                    Tom NU4G
                  • Jose_Angel Amador Fundora
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                      From: Tom Norris <r390a@...>
                      Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:03:27 -0600

                      >On Nov 24, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Paul L Schmidt, K9PS wrote:
                      >> Olivia is a simple n-tone FSK, and you could do exactly the same
                      >> thing by putting a reactance modulator on the transmitter. Feed the
                      >> data word into a D/A converter and put that into the modulator. It
                      >> might be interesting to get the D/A conversion and reactance modulator
                      >> linear enough to do it correctly, but that's all there is to the
                      >> Olivia waveform (or MFSK16 or Domino).

                      So, it is clearly NOT J anything....

                      >It really shouldn't be so hard with current DDS technology to build
                      >an exciter that will do this directly. And I'd be interested in your
                      >concept to see if it's possible to get, for example, a T-368 on the
                      >air with Olivia. It's set up for an external heterodyne fsk exciter,
                      >though if someone came up with a directly driven DDS exciter that
                      >would do wonders...

                      >> > In two tone fsk it's not so much of a difference and I can't tell
                      >> > even looking at the signal on a service monitor.
                      >>
                      >> You could do the the same thing for MFSK tones...
                      >
                      >Yep
                      >>
                      >> > J2D emissions are generated by applying audio to an SSB
                      >> > transmitter.
                      >>
                      >> A lot of things can be generated that way... N0N, A1A, G1B, etc.

                      Of course !!

                      >> For example, practically all rigs these days generate CW (A1A)
                      >> signals by mixing a VFO with one or more heterodyne oscillators.
                      >> As long as the mixing is done correctly (with spurious products
                      >> properly supressed), it's indiscernible from an oscillator
                      >> running on the operating frequency.
                      >
                      >Since the KWM2 at least.

                      And that was circa 1960....

                      >> The only thing we're doing with sound cards is creating some
                      >> waveform to add into the mix. If that waveform is a Hellschreiber
                      >> signal, we end up with A1B (or A1C, depending on one's definition
                      >> of what the 'symbol' is). If it's RTTY, we have F1B.
                      >>
                      >> The mode designation should be a description of the resulting
                      >> signal, not necessarily the method by which you generated it.
                      >> (Note that we use J3E for SSB voice, regardless of if we generated
                      >> it by mathematical manipulation directly on the operating frequency
                      >> [the phasing method] or by frequency-shifting an IF signal
                      >> [the filtering method].

                      For me, IT IS the designation. Couldn't agree any more.

                      >> Jxx should be used to describe things that don't have simpler
                      >> explanations - for example, parallel modems like MT63. For
                      >> that mode, you're using a complex waveform consisting of 64
                      >> carriers which are both amplitude and phase modulated.
                      >> Generating that kind of signal directly at an RF frequency
                      >> would be a real bear. The simplest description for that is
                      >> a complex baseband (500-1000, 500-1500, or 500-2500 Hz) waveform,
                      >> shifted up to RF: J2D.

                      Here I disagree. It really needs its own designator, since its footprint on the spectrum is what matters. Designators are outdated to reflect the newer
                      "acrobatics".

                      >> Of course, once they fix the regs, F1B and J2D will both be
                      >> legal for signals over 500 Hz wide, so it would be legal under
                      >> both definitions... but F1B is the simpler definition.

                      I would say that F1B is the TRUE definition.

                      >I'm not really in disagreement with any of this, it's just that the
                      >devil is in the details and many of those details are in the FCC's
                      >list of ITU mandated emissions standards as defined in 47 CFR 2
                      >subpart D.

                      I am not under the FCC jurisdiction, but I see the definitions it uses
                      are frequently used as references, and I feel that using J#x as a sack
                      to put in the stuff that does not have a clear designator is like sweeping
                      dirt down under the carpet.

                      I really feel that new designators are in order to fill the voids.
                      There is "homework" to be done for some ITU-R committees.

                      >http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/cfr/title47/part2.html
                      >
                      >73
                      >
                      >Tom NU4G

                      73 de Jose, CO2JA

                      ---
                      MSc.Jose Angel Amador Fundora
                      Departamento de Telecomunicaciones
                      Facultad de Ingenieria Electrica, CUJAE
                      Calle 114 #11901 e/ 119 y 127
                      Marianao 19390, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                      Tel:(53 7) 266-3352
                      Email: amador@...

                      Correo enviado por ElectroMAIL. Facultad El�ctrica. CUJAE Dominio: electrica.cujae.edu.cu

                      XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
                      28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
                      Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                      http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion
                    • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                        Tom Norris wrote:
                        > It really shouldn't be so hard with current DDS technology to build
                        > an exciter that will do this directly. And I'd be interested in your
                        > concept to see if it's possible to get, for example, a T-368 on the
                        > air with Olivia. It's set up for an external heterodyne fsk exciter,
                        > though if someone came up with a directly driven DDS exciter that
                        > would do wonders...

                        Now *that* sounds like a fun project :) Assuming you saw the
                        correction I posted regarding Olivia *also* being Amplitude-Modulated,
                        the T-368 sounds like a good platform to do a high-power Olivia
                        Broadcast transmission... maybe for something like ARRL Bulletins
                        or something requiring long periods of key-down.

                        The obstacles would be in modifying the Olivia software (which
                        wouldn't be hard, since the source is published!) to output the
                        desired frequency to the DDS -- with the appropriate timing, of
                        course. It might be simplest to dump the values into a FIFO, and
                        have a separate process pull the data out of the FIFO at the right
                        time - possibly by an external clock signal provided by the DDS
                        interface. That would keep the timing perfect.

                        The clock signal could also be used to control the waveshaping,
                        which would be handled by the AM modulator (4-125's modulating
                        a 4-400, right?)

                        [ Now how do I do this on that HT-37 I've got sitting across the
                        room? :) ]

                        Or maybe, instead of a high-powered transmitter, doing this with
                        a DDS, a couple of stages of amplification, and amplitude-
                        modulating the final stage for a state-of-the-art QRP rig?

                        Too much fun... :)
                      • Jose_Angel Amador Fundora
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                          I have just visited the FCC page and read the designator symbols meaning.

                          As many of the hard to classify emissions do not have a main carrier,
                          so, those emissions are NOT D, it seems to me that the X designator fits better those cases.

                          Nevertheless, the meaning is still as obscure as using the J designator.

                          The numbers are clearer. RTTY and PSK31, with a single channel, are obviously
                          number 1 cases. Those modes like PSK63 and Domino, with a secondary channel, are number 7 cases.

                          And the third symbol depends on the nature and definition of the receiving device, so there might be a bit of room for interpretations and subjectivity.

                          So, it seems clear that a first symbol is needed for simultaneous multicarrier emissions without a main carrier (or pilot tone). That is the case of OFDM, MT63, etc. And it might also need to classify other parameters as well (number of carriers, spacing, etc) that I cannot fully figure out its relevance as I write.

                          Are there any other opinions or something that I may have overlooked?

                          Jose, CO2JA

                          ---
                          MSc.Jose Angel Amador Fundora
                          Departamento de Telecomunicaciones
                          Facultad de Ingenier�a Electrica, CUJAE

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                            On Nov 24, 2006, at 1:18 PM, Jose_Angel Amador Fundora wrote:

                            > I really feel that new designators are in order to fill the voids.
                            > There is "homework" to be done for some ITU-R committees.
                            >

                            > 73 de Jose, CO2JA

                            That is the problem, I suspect.

                            73

                            Tom NU4G
                          • Paul L Schmidt, K9PS
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                              Jose_Angel Amador Fundora wrote:

                              > Are there any other opinions or something that I may have overlooked?

                              As has been noted several times on the various digital discussion
                              groups, the designators aren't specific to the FCC. They originate
                              with the ITU.

                              There are used by governments and agencies worldwide - most likely
                              with slightly different interpretations, but generally pretty
                              consistently.

                              In the U.S., we have two agencies that incorporate the designators
                              in their texts - the FCC (in "47 CFR 2" - CFR is the "Code of
                              Federal Regulations", chapter 47 is telecommunications regulations,
                              and part 2 of those regulations are a lot of definitions and such.),
                              and the NTIA: the National Telecommunications Information Administration.

                              The NTIA sets policy for government use of telecommunications. Their
                              regulations are in a document generally referred to as the "Red Book",
                              actually titled "Manual of Regulations and Procedures for Federal
                              Radio Frequency Management". A Google search should find a copy of it.

                              It contains an interesting footnote on the use of the word "channel" in the
                              numeric field of the emissions designator: 'In this contect, the word
                              "Channel(s)" refers to the radio frequency (RF) channel.'

                              That would mean that use of a secondary data channel in some modes
                              (stealing unused bits, or passing information in idle characters)
                              would not change the mode to multi-channel.

                              It might be interesting to see what other governments have published
                              interpreting the ITU definitions in their government-specific regulations.

                              - ps
                            • Mark Miller
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 24, 2006
                                J2 is the mockingbird of emissions designators. For my Latin
                                American friends, the link
                                http://oikos.villanova.edu/Nesomimus/mainland.html will explain what
                                I am talking about. BTW this is my favorite bird.

                                With J2 emissions, at least today, there will be a more specific
                                emissions designator. Perhaps it explains the baseband, but it tells
                                the engineer the characteristics of the emissions. Though not
                                perfect the ITU emissions designators can be quite helpful.

                                In the U.S. regulatory environment we primarily use the emissions
                                designator to describe the bandwidth of an emission. I only have to
                                point to part 2 of the FCC regulations which shows a variant of
                                Carson's rule to prove that F1 and J2 are essentially the same emission.

                                J2 necessary bandwidth formula

                                Bn=2M+2DK, M=B/2

                                F1 necessary bandwidth formula

                                Bn=2M+2DK, M=B/2

                                I am very interested in formula for MT63. I can easily measure the
                                occupied bandwidth of MT63 with a spectrum analyzer, what I am
                                looking for is a valid formula for calculating the necessary
                                bandwidth of MT63 and PIII.

                                73,

                                Mark N5RFX
                              • Chris Edwards, AE4XO
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                  i still need to get some more contacts between me and some other olivia stations. The science fair project is due dec 9th and we are running out of time here. thanks!

                                  chris ae4xo

                                • John Schneider
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                    Chris,

                                    If you've got time this evening I might be able to give it a shot.

                                    John, KB2COP

                                  • w4lde@cfl.rr.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                      Chris,

                                      How can I help? I am in FL can use 80-40 and 30 meters in the evening
                                      or higher bands daytime but only on the weekend

                                      Ron W4LDE

                                      > i still need to get some more contacts between me and some other
                                      > oliviastations. The science fair project is due dec 9th and we are
                                      > running out of
                                      > time here. thanks!
                                      >
                                      > chris ae4xo

                                    • Chris Edwards, AE4XO
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 4, 2007
                                        i need to have a few contacts compareing olivia and psk to see what is best in disaster configuration. i will not be available after tonight though until sunday...

                                        chris

                                        How can I help? I am in FL can use 80-40 and 30 meters in the evening
                                        or higher bands daytime but only on the weekend

                                        Ron W4LDE

                                        > i still need to get some more contacts between me and some other
                                        > oliviastations. The science fair project is due dec 9th and we are
                                        > running out of
                                        > time here. thanks!
                                        >
                                        > chris ae4xo

                                      • expeditionradio
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 6, 2007
                                          > Chris Edwards, AE4XO" <ram16kb@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > i need to have a few contacts compareing olivia and psk
                                          > chris

                                          Hi Chris,
                                          Correction on the frequency:
                                          Try Olivia 500/16 on the Digitalradio Group calling frequency:

                                          14077.4 USB audio center 1000Hz
                                          Post your sked on the Digitalradio group:

                                          Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

                                          .
                                        • Chris Edwards, AE4XO
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 7, 2007
                                            ok back in town now. anyone available sunday?

                                            > i need to have a few contacts compareing olivia and psk
                                            > chris

                                            Hi Chris,
                                            Correction on the frequency:
                                            Try Olivia 500/16 on the Digitalradio Group calling frequency:

                                            14077.4 USB audio center 1000Hz
                                            Post your sked on the Digitalradio group:
                                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/digitalrad io/

                                            Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

                                            .