Olivia Not Affected by FCC 500Hz Bandwidth Limit

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
      Since I've been travelling in Asia, I just now had a chance to
      read the recent FCC omnibus ruling. It seems that many hams,
      including ARRL (and myself) were confused by the initial reports
      and synopsis of the R&O and the ruling. That is not surprising,
      since the FCC actions were poorly written, self-contradictory,
      and unclear. But, the new FCC definition of "Data" does not have
      the effect that some of us thought from the first news. The 500Hz
      bandwidth limit does not seem to apply to Olivia, since the
      emission designator for Olivia is either D1D or D1B.

      Here is a list I just put together, to better understand which common
      ham digital modes are affected or not affected by the new FCC rules.
      I don't see any common digital data modes being used by hams that
      are J2D. It seems that ARRL and everyone else were worried about
      a 500Hz J2D limit over nothing.

      73---Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

      Emission Designators for Common
      Amateur Radio Digital Data / Text / Fax

      Frequency Modulated
      RTTY (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      MFSK (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      ALE (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      PACTOR (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      PACKET (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      FSK31 (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      8FSK DTM ARQ (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      8FSK DBM ARQ (FSK) = F1D / F1B / F1C
      FMHELL (FSK) = F1B / F1C

      Phase Modulated
      BPSK31 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      QPSK31 (QPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      PSK63 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      Q15X25 (QPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      MT63 (DBPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      PACTORII (DPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      PACTORIII (DBPSK or DQPSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C
      MIL-STD 188-110 (PSK) = G1D / G1B / G1C

      Amplitude and Angle Modulated Simultaneously
      Olivia (AMFSK) = D1D / D1B / D1C
      OFDM (AMPSK) = D1D / D1B / D1C

      Duration or Position Modulated
      FELDHELL (PWM) = L1B / L1C
      FELDHELL (PPM) = M1B / M1C

      New FCC Data Definition effective 15 December 2006:
      (2) Data. Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emissions
      having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol;
      1 as the second symbol; D as the third symbol, and emissions A1C, F1C,
      F2C, J2C, J3C, and J2D having an occupied bandwidth of 500 Hz or less
      when transmitted on an amateur service frequency below 30 MHz. Only
      adigital code of a type specifically authorized in this part may be
      transmitted.

      .
    • Andrew O'Brien
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
        Bonnie, It makes sense to me , so how come the ARRL does not see it the same way we do ?

        Andy K3UK
      • expeditionradio
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006

          > Bonnie, It makes sense to me , so how come the ARRL does not
          > see it the same way we do ?
          >
          > Andy K3UK

          Hi Andy,

          ARRL responded quickly and posted the information about the new rules.
          It was easy to get it wrong, or to interpret the rules differently,
          because of the number of errors and self-contraditions in the FCC
          rulings and the R&O.

          But, one thing is perfectly clear... the FCC never intended to limit
          our data or text modes to 500Hz bandwidth. They only ruled to
          bandwidth limit images sent in the data subbands.

          I just wrote to the ARRL Regulatory Information Branch, and included
          all the information about emission desiginators, and quoted the FCC
          statements. I predict that you will see ARRL correct their published
          information about FCC HF data limitations.

          Bonnie KQ6XA
        • Mike Niswonger
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
            Bonnie,

            I am good friends with an ARRL director and would like to see
            that he is educated as completely as possible on this issue. Is there
            an NTIA or FCC reference that you can give me for the mode vs emission
            type list that you posted? I'd sure like to pass it along...

            -- Mike Niswonger, W4CMN