RE: [olivia] Re: US FCC releases order including limiting J2D emissions over 500H

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2006

      From: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com [mailto:oliviadata@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Karl Larsen

      It went to the FCC as bandwidths but...the FCC has to deal with the world, and the
      world reads the FCC Part 97 and the world did not like using just
      bandwidth. So FCC had to go back to the old symbols and it has the whole
      thing messed up.

      Karl

      I can’t agree with that Karl. Our regs changed to bandwidth last year. On HF bands below 30MHz, any mode <10khz bandwidth. That’s it.

      6m and 2m, any mode <100khz, and above 420MHz, ANY MODE, any bandwidth.

      Our regs couldn’t be simpler, whereas the FCC regs are immensely complicated, and from this discussion, apparently no-one truly understands them.

      Brad VK2QQ

      _,_._,___

    • Bob Lewis (AA4PB)
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2006
        Actually, the U.S.A. is one of the FEW countries left who subdivide by mode and content rather than bandwidth. The FCC actually proposed using bandwidth some years ago but backed off because of the outrage expressed by many U.S. hams.  The ARRL has proposed it again, but again there are a lot of negative comments. Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy. You have to remember that the majority use only traditional SSB and CW on the HF bands and are not inclined to support anything else.

      • Chris Edwards, AE4XO
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2006
          Can  some help explain to me what freq I am actually supposed to out into my radio on 40 meters for Olivia. I guess I am not getting it

          chris

        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2006
            Andy K3UK