Re: [olivia] US FCC releases order including limiting J2D emissions over 500Hz BW below 30MHz

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
      Andrew O'Brien wrote:
      > BUT...there is language that suggest this limitation applies to only
      > semi-automated stations, that would make MT63 and Olivia OK. I'll have
      > to take a look and explore more.
      >
      > Andy

      I fired off an email to the ARRL asking for clarification on just what
      this means...

      I received a reply that I was correct is assuming that the new ruling
      prohibits any digital mode with a bandwidth in excess of 500 Hz.
      generated via tones into an SSB transmitter. This has been now clarified
      on the ARRL site.

      This would make MT63, Olivia, Chip64, RTTY 850 Hz shift, all illegal
      soon if used with wider than 500 Hz bandwidth settings. I don't know
      what effect the ruling change would have on direct FSK generated RTTY
      850 Hz shift, it does not appear to prohibit this, not that anyone uses it.

      I haven't been able to get any clarification saying otherwise, though I
      hope one is forthcoming soon.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
        Luckily the ARRL is not the FCC. The answer you received is
        incorrect. MT63, Olivia, Chip64, and RTTY 850 Hz shift are J2B. J2B
        is not under the 500Hz maximum occupied bandwidth limit. This is a
        scare tactic used to generate support for Pactor III which is J2D and
        will be subject to the 500 Hz maximum bandwidth limit.

        73,

        Mark N5RFX

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
          Mark Miller wrote:
          > Luckily the ARRL is not the FCC. The answer you received is
          > incorrect. MT63, Olivia, Chip64, and RTTY 850 Hz shift are J2B. J2B
          > is not under the 500Hz maximum occupied bandwidth limit. This is a
          > scare tactic used to generate support for Pactor III which is J2D and
          > will be subject to the 500 Hz maximum bandwidth limit.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Mark N5RFX

          Thanks so much for the clarification Mark.

          Rick Kunath, k9ao
        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
            I too communicated with the ARRL.  Their view is that Olivia above 500 HZ would be illegal but they stated that they had some advisors that believed Olvia "could" be considered J2B.  They fear however that the matter may ultimately be subject to "dueling lawyers".  I did write to the FCC and asked them to clarify the issue.

            Andy K3UK

            --
            Andy K3UK
            Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
              Dueling lawyers...a scare tactic. RTTY has been designated J2B for
              since Marconi was in Kindergarten. Olivia, MT63 and any of the other
              human to human modes are J2B. I am not sure what is J2D, but I am
              not to worried about that.

              73,

              Mark N5RFX