ARRL Petitions USA's FCC for Digital on 5MHz

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2006
      ARRL Petitions USA's FCC for Digital on 5MHz.
      A new ARRL proposal to FCC petitions for 100W ERP and more mode
      flexibility in the 5MHz amateur radio channels. Among other things, it
      proposes to add <=2.8kHz bandwidth digital signals, combined with
      "...care to limit the length of transmissions so as to avoid
      interference with Federal operations."

      If this concept is approved by FCC, USA ham operators will gain
      the use of various non-voice transmissions on 5MHz, such as
      Olivia MFSK, PSK, and CW, similar to the privileges on 5MHz that
      many other countries now enjoy.

      I wholeheartedly support the ARRL petition and recommend that
      all Olivia operators in USA should actively support it.

      Regards,
      Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA

      ----
      ARRL Petition Excerpt:

      "47 CFR Parts 2 and 97 are amended to read as follows:
      1. Section 2.106, the Table of Frequency Allocations, is amended as
      follows:

      § 2.106 Table of Frequency Allocations.

      b. In the list of United States footnotes, footnote US 381 is amended
      to read as follows:
      UNITED STATES (US) FOOTNOTES
      US381 The frequencies 5332 kHz, 5348 kHz, 5358.5 kHz, 5373 kHz, and
      5405 kHz are allocated to the amateur service on a secondary basis.
      Amateur use of these frequencies shall be limited to:
      (1) a maximum effective radiated power (e.r.p.) of 100 W; and
      (2) the following emissions only:
      (a) single sideband suppressed carrier modulation (emission designator
      2K8J3E), upper sideband voice transmissions;
      (b) Morse telegraphy by means of on-off keying (emission
      designator150HA1A); (b) data emissions 60H0J2B and 2K80J2D, provided
      that the operators using these data modes exercise care to limit the
      length of transmissions so as to avoid interference with Federal
      operations.

      4. Section 97.303 is amended by revising paragraph (s) to read as follows:

      § 97.303 Frequency sharing requirements. * * * * *
      (s) An amateur station having an operator holding a General, Advanced
      or Amateur Extra Class license may transmit on the channels 5332 kHz,
      5348 kHz, 5358.5 kHz, 5373 kHz, and 5405 kHz using any of the
      following emissions:
      (a) single sideband suppressed carrier modulation (emission designator
      2K8J3E), upper sideband voice transmissions;
      (b) Morse telegraphy by means of on-off keying (emission designator
      150HA1A); (b) data emissions 60H0J2B and 2K80J2D. When using single
      sideband, suppressed carrier, (emission type 2K8J3E) upper sideband
      emission, Amateur stations will utilize Voice-Operated Transmit. When
      using the other emissions permitted above, Amateur operators must
      exercise care to limit the length of transmissions so as to avoid
      interference with Federal operations. Amateur operators shall ensure
      that their transmission occupies only the 2.8 kHz centered around each
      of these frequencies. Transmissions shall not exceed an effective
      radiated power (e.r.p) of 100 W PEP. For the purpose of computing
      e.r.p. the transmitter PEP will be multiplied with the antenna gain
      relative to a dipole or the equivalent calculation in decibels. A half
      wave dipole antenna will be presumed to have a gain of 0 dBd.
      Licensees using other antennas must maintain 12 in their station
      records either manufacturer data on the antenna gain or calculations
      of the antenna gain. No amateur station shall cause harmful
      interference to stations authorized in the mobile and fixed services;
      nor is any amateur station protected from interference due to the
      operation of any such station."

      -end-
    • Neil Klagge
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2006
        Wow, Bonnie. This is awesome news. I dont do much with SSB but I'd love to
        operate OLIVIA there. Thanks for the info.

        Neil Klagge in Utah

        The will of God will never take you to where the grace of God will not
        protect you!!!