Re: [olivia] Olivia Frequency - Format - Website http://hflink.com/olivia/

  • Karl F. Larsen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      Bob3 Bob3 wrote:

      >Hi Karl
      >
      >I assume the expensive TNC was for using Pactor III?

      No the one I used was an expensive KAM TNC which just broke and I
      could never get it to work again. This was plain Pactor. Today with the
      poor band conditions they almost insist you use Pactor 111 which last
      time I looked it sold for $1200.00 in the USA. I have found for Linux
      software using the sound card DSP engine that makes the original Pactor.
      But alas the Airmail software that is so nice is only a Windows program.

      --
      Karl Larsen, aka K5DI
      Linux user since 1994
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
        There is Bob,

        WinLink 2000 TelPac

        Its a telnet service of WinLink

        At 09:30 AM 3/19/06, you wrote in part:
        >Hi Karl
        >
        >I assume the expensive TNC was for using Pactor III?
        >
        >I was under the impression that Winlink and friends was a network layer
        >that sat above any kind of transport protocol/modulation method..
        >
        >If not would you please enlighten me?
        >
        >Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA
      • Bob3 Bob3
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
          Okay tnxs for that.

          Is Pactor III actually that robust? I note on the Winlink website the
          development going on with (SCAMP)ARQ'ing and setting up a messaging
          protocol to use on top of Wyman/RDFT. I have also seen a ARQ add-on/mail
          protocol for PSK63 that runs under Linux and a modified GMFSK. I guess
          what mode you use depends on band conditions etc.

          Have you tried perchance to run the Airmail s/w in wine? Dont know how
          it would interface to the DSP engine but if its TCP/IP or a pseudo tty
          it may just work..

          Cheers Bob