Re: ARRL To QSY To 1807.500 KC

  • scottpa1960
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      I'm glad you are passionate about this. I'm also glad you stated your
      feelings to the ARRL directors. I'm sure many of us have also sent
      letters, phone calls to Newington, or in emails stating their
      disagreement with this proposed move. What I'm not sure is why we
      should be airing out our personal feelings on the message boards. I'm
      sure most of us feel the same way about this upcoming move by the
      ARRL, but we are keeping our correspondence private. I guess what I'm
      saying is, I belong to 070 to discuss psk activity with other psk
      members. I want to read about Mona and her Cat, Golf endorsements, or
      how someone found that rare grid on psk.

      If I'm out of line here, I apologize, I will go away quietly.

      73--Scott
      WY3X

      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Giella KN4LF"

      http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm

    • Thomas Giella KN4LF
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        The reason that I posted the issue on this eGroup is because there are selfish forces that are trying to remove all digital modes of operation on 160 meters including OLIVIA. The suggestion to QSY W1AW operations from 1817.500 kc to 1807.500 kc right on top of the weak digital signal calling was no accident.

        In any event the initial unofficial response from the ARRL is that they are reconsidering their choice of 1807.500 kc.

        --... ...--,

        <flcyclone@...> wrote:

        > Hello Joe,
        >
        > I was hoping that you would pay me the courtesy of responding back
        about my
        > concern over the plan for W1AW to QSY from 1817.500 kc to 1807.500
        kc, right
        > on top of the weak digital signal PSK31/63, MFSK16, OLIVIA MFSK, RTTY
        > calling frequency.
        >
        > If RM-11306 band segregation by bandwidth becomes a Part 97
        regulation, the
        > ARRL has proposed that the mayhem be controlled by voluntary band
        plan. How
        > do you expect ham's to take ARRL band plans seriously when the ARRL
        violates
        > them.
        >
        > Do as I say not as I do hypocricy?
        >
        > --... ...--,
        > Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
        > Lakeland, FL, USA
        > Grid Square EL97AW
        > kn4lf@...
        >
        > KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com
        > KN4LF 160 Meter Propagation Theory Notes:
        http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • w8aii
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          Here is what the ARRL had to say about the frequency change issue...

          73 Al, W8AII/ AAR5TH
          Ohio Army MARS

          W1AW 160-meter frequency change put on hold (Mar 1, 2006) -- QRX on
          that W1AW QSY! Maxim Memorial Station W1AW has rescinded recently
          announced plans to change its 160-meter CW frequency starting Monday,
          April 3 and will remain on 1817.5 kHz for the time being. The
          announced change to 1807.5 kHz was aimed at reducing the possibility
          of interfering with DX stations that have begun showing up in the
          vicinity of 1817.5 kHz. "Lately we have received more complaints
          about W1AW interfering with weak DX signals," said ARRL CEO and W1AW
          Trustee David Sumner, K1ZZ. "Some of these complaints were about key
          clicks, which set us on a quest to put the cleanest transmitter we
          could find on 160." With the key click problem on the way to
          resolution, it was decided nonetheless to move W1AW's 160-meter
          frequency lower in the band. "After what we thought was due diligence
          we decided that it made sense to shift below 1810 kHz," Sumner
          recounted, "since that is the lower band edge in Region 1 and would
          pretty much eliminate the conflict with DXers." Monitoring showed
          that 1807.5 appeared to be generally clear. "Unfortunately," Sumner
          continued, "we failed to pick up the fact that PSK31 operators appear
          to have adopted 1807 kHz as their 160-meter frequency, and we don't
          want to conflict with any established activity centers." Under a
          tight deadline to announce the W1AW operating schedule 30 days in
          advance, the League has rescinded the frequency shift for now. Sumner
          said the question will be revisited over the summer to try to gain
          consensus on a frequency to shift to after Daylight Saving Time ends
          October 29.