New MFSK mode

  • Richard Ferch
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
      For those who are interested, there is another new MFSK mode which
      sounds very promising - DominoEX
      (http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm).

      The narrow bandwidth (comparable to standard RTTY), good tuning
      tolerance (200 Hz) and high speed (70 WPM in the normal submode) all
      sound very attractive. It would be interesting to see how it compares
      with Olivia and other modes in on-air performance. There is test
      software available at the above-mentioned web site.

      73,
      Rich VE3IAY
    • PatM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
        The link doesn't work because of extra characters.

        Try this:
        http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm

        Pat - W9ZO

        Richard Ferch wrote the following on 1/4/2006 2:17 PM:

        > For those who are interested, there is another new MFSK mode which
        > sounds very promising - DominoEX
        > (http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm).
        > <http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm%29.>
        >
        > The narrow bandwidth (comparable to standard RTTY), good tuning
        > tolerance (200 Hz) and high speed (70 WPM in the normal submode) all
        > sound very attractive. It would be interesting to see how it compares
        > with Olivia and other modes in on-air performance. There is test
        > software available at the above-mentioned web site.
        >
        > 73,
        > Rich VE3IAY

        > Ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=3&s=60&.sig=Q3ZWABypJDd5YmYXbzsVzQ>
        > Craft hobby
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=3&s=60&.sig=ZnXBknyULDAnZKOQwnbT0g>
        > Hobby and craft supply
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=3&s=60&.sig=fLVuec3_R3javCvFd0735w>

        Pat
      • scottpa1960
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          Rich,

          They allude to DominoEX being available for MixW soon. Any timeframe
          that you know of?

          Thanks,
          Scott
          KN3A

          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Ferch" <ve3iay@r...> wrote:

          > For those who are interested, there is another new MFSK mode which
          > sounds very promising - DominoEX
          > (http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm).
          >
          > The narrow bandwidth (comparable to standard RTTY), good tuning
          > tolerance (200 Hz) and high speed (70 WPM in the normal submode) all
          > sound very attractive. It would be interesting to see how it compares
          > with Olivia and other modes in on-air performance. There is test
          > software available at the above-mentioned web site.
          >
          > 73,
          > Rich VE3IAY

        • Karl F. Larsen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
            scottpa1960 wrote:

            >Rich,
            >
            >They allude to DominoEX being available for MixW soon. Any timeframe
            >that you know of?

            You already have MT63 on Mixw and it is fast and works fine for DX.
            Try that.

            73 Karl

            >Thanks,
            >Scott
            >KN3A
            >
            >--- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Ferch" <ve3iay@r...> wrote:
            >

            >>For those who are interested, there is another new MFSK mode which
            >>sounds very promising - DominoEX
            >>(http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm).
            >>
            >>The narrow bandwidth (comparable to standard RTTY), good tuning
            >>tolerance (200 Hz) and high speed (70 WPM in the normal submode) all
            >>sound very attractive. It would be interesting to see how it compares
            >>with Olivia and other modes in on-air performance. There is test
            >>software available at the above-mentioned web site.
            >>
            >>73,
            >>Rich VE3IAY

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Richard Ferch
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
              MT63 is plenty fast but like Olivia it's very wide, and because of
              the heavy FEC it takes a very long time to turn around at the end of
              each over.

              DominoEX is intended to fill a similar niche as old-fashioned RTTY -
              fast enough for keyboard-to-keyboard, fairly narrow bandwidth (250-
              350 Hz), and rapid turnover because there is no FEC.

              As for plans to implement it in MixW, no I haven't heard anything
              definite, but my guess is that if and when it is, it will be in the
              form of a dll (like the ModeOlivia.dll used for Olivia with MixW),
              so you won't need to download a new version of the program, just the
              dll file.

              73,
              Rich VE3IAY

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Karl F. Larsen" <k5di@z...>
              wrote:

              > scottpa1960 wrote:
              >
              > >Rich,
              > >
              > >They allude to DominoEX being available for MixW soon. Any
              timeframe
              > >that you know of?
              > >

              > You already have MT63 on Mixw and it is fast and works fine
              for DX.
              > Try that.
              >
              > 73 Karl
              >
              > >Thanks,
              > >Scott
              > >KN3A
              > >
              > >--- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Ferch" <ve3iay@r...>
              wrote:

              > >>For those who are interested, there is another new MFSK mode
              which
              > >>sounds very promising - DominoEX
              > >>(http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO/Index.htm).
              > >>
              > >>The narrow bandwidth (comparable to standard RTTY), good tuning
              > >>tolerance (200 Hz) and high speed (70 WPM in the normal submode)
              all
              > >>sound very attractive. It would be interesting to see how it
              compares
              > >>with Olivia and other modes in on-air performance. There is test
              > >>software available at the above-mentioned web site.
              > >>
              > >>73,
              > >>Rich VE3IAY

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • scottpa1960
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
                Rich,

                Ok, thanks for the info. I've never worked MT63 yet. I am a big fan of
                Olivia so I will have to check out DominoEX and see how it performs. I
                do like the smaller bandwidth DominoEX takes compared to the 500 or
                1000 HZ on Olivia. 80 Meters sometimes gets very crowded at night
                above 3580 with Olivia, and thats with only 3 or 4 QSO's going on.

                I would suspect it would be a .dll like Olivia, Contestia and RTTYM was.

                73--Scott

              • Ron Walters
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Scott, Rich.

                  I have had several on the air test using the 16/500 and 8/500 mode of
                  Olivia and the DominoEX up on 80 meters.with settings of 11 and 8 Baud

                  Distance to the other station was in the 700 mile range, Florida to MD.
                  We had good copy in MD both Olivia and DominoEX when I was running 50
                  watts from FL, however, Olivia was 100% while DominoEX was not, close
                  but some errors.

                  The real big surprise came when I reduced power, heres what happen on
                  3584.00

                  Power Olivia Copy DominoEX Copy
                  50w 100% 100%
                  25w 100% 90-100%
                  10w 100% Lots of errors
                  2w 100% Very Little Copy
                  1w Abt 75% No Copy

                  Since we were both running MixW we decided to try Contestia which out
                  performed DominoEX and was almost as good as Olivia but at a much faster
                  through-put.

                  I have made similar tests on 40 meters with about the same results.

                  My conclusions, they are:

                  If you need 100% Copy at low power then Olivia is the choice, hands
                  down, it beats them all.

                  If you like Higher speed through put with almost perfect copy even in
                  the low power range I suggest using Contestia

                  If you need a small footprint and high speed similar to RTTY and have
                  the power then DominoEX is the choice.

                  There's another old reliable mode call MFSK16 which also preforms as
                  good as Contestia and DominoEX if not better which I feel is not use
                  enough. The only draw back I see to the current crop of software is the
                  operators using them, lets try using the max bandwidth of 500HZ on 160 -
                  30 meters and only jump to 1000Hz on 20 meters and above although I
                  still think we should stick to a narrower bandwidth even on 20 to
                  alleviate QRM.

                  And lets not forget RTTY, PSK, Hell, Stream and MT63 also fast and reliable.

                  This is an exciting and fun time for digital communications and all of
                  the developers of the new software are to be congratulated for giving so
                  much to so many. Thank you.

                  I look forward to the continuing development of DominoEX, Contestia and
                  the next?

                  Ron W4LDE

                • scottpa1960
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Ron,

                    Very nice report comparing the different modes and power. What you
                    found is very similar to my findings over the past month or so. I also
                    agree that 20 meters and above should be using the 1000 HZ.

                    Hope to catch you on HF sometime Ron.

                    73--Scott
                    KN3A