Re: [olivia] Veterans Day

  • Tom Norris
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
      On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Brad VK2QQ wrote:

      > Remembrance Day has already been commemorated here at 11am. The
      > last First World War veteran in Australia passed away last month.
      > We began a new era today where this war is remembered with no
      > living vets left. Despite the passing of time, the various
      > remembrance ceremonies only get stronger.
      >

      > Brad.

      "But the band plays "Waltzing Matilda,"
      And the old men still answer the call,
      But as year follows year, more old men disappear
      Someday, no one will march there at all..."

      While the fellow that wrote that song may have
      figured the losses in battles such as Gallipoli
      were pointless, brave men fought and gave up
      their lives. Ted Matthews was one of the men
      of this era as you mention. Lived to the age of 101
      if I remember the news.

      The veterans of WWII grow fewer each year as
      well. My father served as ground support in a
      USAAF B-17 Squadron in Britain during the War.
      His brother was a medic in Korea. They're both gone,
      as are many of my father's friends and folks of
      WWII. I did get a chance to thank my Dad for
      his service as we should all thank those that gave
      for their countries. Thank them for their sacrifice
      and service while that are still here.

      Those who fought in Korea, in VietNam, The Faulklands,
      Persian Gulf, Bosnia, those who served in wars not mentioned.
      We should always remember them with honor, with respect and
      with reverence.

      A respectful thank you to all that have served your countries,
      be it the US, or those of other countries represented on the list.

      Best 73

      Tom NU4G
    • wb4tdb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
        As a Veteran I appreciate all the kind comments.  I was a lucky one who came home.
        Amateur radio and MARS played a very important part for many Veterans.  I know as
        a result of active duty I am still active in the MARS program after 35 years.  Lets also
        remember those who tried to serve for various reasons could not.  My father was at the
        Navy recruiting station Dec 8, 1941 but was not accepted due to a childhood accident.

        Aim High
        73
        Vollie, W4TDB/AFA2MZ
        Viet Nam Vet