QSL info for Digital modes

  • Ron Walters
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      I have asked this question before and yet do not feel comfortable with
      the way I am logging digital QSO's

      SSB, CW, RTTY, TOR=AMTOR, PKT, AM, FM, SSTV, ATV, PAC=PACTOR,CLO=CLOVER
      are recognized ADIF modes and will exchange correctly when using the
      electronic QSL services such as LOTW and E-QSL

      My question is what mode does the users of E-QSL and LOTW use for some
      of the other modes now in wide use by digital users, specifically

      OLIVIA = ?
      MFSK16 = ?
      MT63 = ?

      Should I be concerned or not? I appreciate your comment.

      73 - Ron W4LDE
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
        I got this response back from ARRL as to its Logbook of the World:

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
          That's what I do and it works ok for LotW. There is no similiar way
          for eqsl.

          As Rich, W3ZJ, working for eqsl told me, there is no intention to
          follow all new modes popping up and disappearing again (don't
          remember the exact wording). This means you have to set your logbook
          program in the appropriate way to prevent the constant error messages
          you receive from eqsl for those modes.

          For printing paper qsl's my logbook program (DXKeeper, part of the
          free DXLab program suite) can be set up to print the exact mode how
          fancy and new it might be, and if you set the qsl-info for uploads to
          eqsl properly there will be no upload of new and fancy mode qso's.

          > I got this response back from ARRL as to its Logbook of the World:

        • Leigh L Klotz, Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
            You might be interested in XDIF. Http://xdif.org.

          • Ron Walters
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
              Dave,

              Thanks for the help, the problem as I see it is that if I choose RTTY
              via the mapping and you select MFSK then LOTW will not get a match and
              thus we will not QSL via the LOTW site.

              In the mean time just maybe we should get a consensus from Olivia users
              to code the mode to a recognized ADIF mode.

              You ideas?

              Ron W4LDE

            • Dave Hassler
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                Hi Ron. As I see it, if ARRL doesn't choose to allow Olivia QSOs
                in LotW, there's nothing we can go about it. I was actually
                shocked by Dan's, N1ND, response that MT63 was allowed, because
                if you can't contest with it, and it isn't EmComm or CC&R
                related, ARRL Membership Services doesn't really give a damn.
                And after all, LotW is essentially a contesters aid/log, not a
                true eQSL. Considering what's been said by the League and other
                posters here, I wouldn't even try to do a Logbook confirmation
                for Olivia contacts -- I always send paper. YMMV.

                73, Dave - K7CCC

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Ron Walters
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                  Dave,

                  Couldn't agree more but there's stations that might want to correctly
                  record Olivia QSO's and then get an
                  electronic QSL card from me. This also applies to me, I was thinking of
                  trying to WAS Olivia, that is going to be an enormous challenge but
                  might bring back the fun of when I was novice operator back in the 50's
                  running 25 watts CW from and home built DX-20.

                  So the real issue is when filing with LOTW or E-QSL I guess we need to
                  recommend a standard ADIF mode such as RTTY, or even better yet I am
                  proposing that we use CLO=CLOVER to now for a lot of us to mean *CLO =
                  Certainly love Olivia.*

                  I do not think that there would be much confusion for most of us since I
                  do not know of a sound card program that offers CLO.. The old days of
                  TNC's in every shack has diminished significantly although I still have
                  a PK232mbx that I use. Never ran Clover and may have missed an
                  opportunity but for some using an approved ADIF mode for electronic QSL
                  exchanges at least we could start using CLO as the logged mode.

                  There is several new sub-modes that are under consideration to being
                  added to the approved list of acceptable ADIF operating modes but until
                  that happens I recommend logging OLIVIA QSO's as CLO and adding a note
                  to the exchange "Olivia". I have check out LOTW and E-QSL and and they
                  accept contacts made in CLO.

                  Thoughts? Anyone!

                • dl8le
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                    Thanks, Leigh! I have just seen at www.xdif.org that some of the
                    logbook developers like Dave, N5UP (responsible for and owner of
                    EQSL), Dave, AA6YQ, developer of DXLab, and some others of the
                    experts already belong to the group. As I am not an expert but just a
                    simple user I will only follow that discussion of those who have
                    become a member already.

                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L Klotz, Jr." <leigh@w...>