Re: [olivia] 7.072.5

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
      I know 7072.5 is an Olivia frequency in theory, but I've found more digital activity around 7036-38. I've only made a very few digital contacts up at 7072. YMMV

      Ken WA8JXM

      On Jul 24, 2013, at 9:18 PM, VE3FMC wrote:

      > I call CQ on 7.072.5 using 8/500 once in awhile but there is never anyone around. Then I go back to making contacts with JT65. Shame because I used to love rag chewing on 40 with Olivia.
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 25, 2013
        I have buddy in Virginia that keeps trying for an Olivia QSO anywhere but right on the upper edges of the psk31 traffic (such as 7.035 or 14.070) and he got discouraged, too. All of my Olivia QSOs have been just above the psk31 traffic frequencies. Sometimes I see a QSO a bit higher but its usually a QSO between two hams that seem to already know each other. Just my experiences....
        Dewey
        KT4EP
      • WD9DUI
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 25, 2013
          Once again... check :

          Most of the action is posted there...

          Keep in mind there is a lot of cw traffic on 40M 7035 etc., qrp calling still on 7040 ....

          73
          Gary WD9DUI

          I have buddy in Virginia that keeps trying for an Olivia QSO anywhere but right on the upper edges of the psk31 traffic (such as 7.035 or 14.070) and he got discouraged, too. All of my Olivia QSOs have been just above the psk31 traffic frequencies. Sometimes I see a QSO a bit higher but its usually a QSO between two hams that seem to already know each other. Just my experiences....
          Dewey
          KT4EP

        • jaksha2002
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 25, 2013
            I agree. I usually don't have much trouble scaring up an Olivia contact on 40,20, or 15 m ( when the band is open). But, I always hang out just aboe the PSK31 traffic and below the JT65. I have been pretty exclusivly been on 20 and less on 15 m over the past few months. 40 m has been pretty dead from my location.

            So try that portion of the band, and you will find someone to rag chew with.

            73,
            Dave
            KF7DRU

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "VE3FMC" <ve3fmc@...> wrote:

            > I call CQ on 7.072.5 using 8/500 once in awhile but there is never anyone around. Then I go back to making contacts with JT65. Shame because I used to love rag chewing on 40 with Olivia.
            > Rick VE3FMC

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
              To all --- Gary was my first Olivia contact. I see him and have spotted him several times on various frequencies. I think he's on the air more than me and always ready for a QSO !

              Don't be discouraged. I've had many hams tell me Olivia isn't for them, too slow, etc. But it's well worth the effort to try and have a QSO when the bands are so-called dead, for example. I had a South American ham tell me he'd never seen anyone on 10 meters calling CQ with Olivia. Just about anytime I call CQ in Olivia mode, I work someone somewhere. If not, I just move on or go find something else to do. Like Gary did for me, I've introduced the mode to many hams who wondered what that funny looking signal was.

              Of course, if you want to avoid psk31 and CW areas, just start a QSO near those frequencies, then QSY. If I don't hear or see anyone in a psk31 or CW QSO, then the frequency is open as far as I am concerned for any digital mode. And... I often transmit "is the frequency clear", just to be polite... we don't often see both sides of a QSO in progress. QSY. There's always a spot open somewhere. BTW, I've found 30 meters ripe for Olivia from about 5 pm until late at night Central time at 10.140 and above. Often a European station will be around.
              have fun,
              hope to work you in one mode or the other
              Dewey
              KT4EP
              west Tennessee near Mississippi and Arkansas
            • Kjell-Göran Bergendahl
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013

                Hi all,All or some of us who like Olivia seem to be a little frustrated that the activity is a but low. Me too. How about an Olivia day once a month worldwide? Just to give everyone a chance to make contacts worldwide. We could pick any day and concentrate the activity to the official Olivia frequencies. Comments?73 / Kjell-Göran SM4GRP

              • VE3FMC
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
                  In the past I have had a lot of QSO's on 7.072.5.

                  Maybe no one listens there now, no wonder I do not get any answers to my CQ's.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                    FWIW, the only time I've had QSOs up around 7.072.5 was in the morning.

                    Later in the day, there is usually SSB voice use of that area.

                    Ken WA8JXM

                    On Jul 26, 2013, at 9:58 PM, VE3FMC wrote:

                    > In the past I have had a lot of QSO's on 7.072.5.
                    >
                    > Maybe no one listens there now, no wonder I do not get any answers to my CQ's.
                  • ku4a
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                      Once again, thanks folks for the continuing posts here about Olivia.

                      I would have bet I'm not the only one whose first Olivia QSO was with Gary and sure enough I was right :-).

                      Definitely a good point about the CQing. If I don't see a CQer I will definitely do one myself. Strong believer in it.

                      I don't know how much hamspots.net is used, but it looks like an excellent concept so expect to see me on there when I'm looking to work Olivia.

                      My general observation in my 37 years on the air is that summer is generally a down time for HF. People are busy with other things, and D-layer absorption is at its worst. My shack hits 90 degrees, lol. As we move into fall, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more activity.

                      Could someone give me a quick explanation of "RXID" and "TXID". Are these the Reed-Solomon things? In fldigi I see a check box for these. I turned them ON, but don't really understand what I did :-)

                      73
                      Chris
                      KU4A
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                        On Jul 27, 2013, at 11:56 AM, ku4a wrote:

                        > Could someone give me a quick explanation of "RXID" and "TXID". Are these the Reed-Solomon things? In fldigi I see a check box for these. I turned them ON, but don't really understand what I did :-)

                        Yes, Reed-Soloman ID. When you check the TXID box, it sends out a digital mode ID at the beginning of each transmission. You can hear the difference in tones when the ID is completed and it goes to the communications mode. With RXID, fldigi automatically switches to the mode it hears on someone else's transmission and then (by default) turns RSID off. You can configure fldigi to leave it on, but that runs the risk of it switching modes in the middle of a QSO due to QRM.

                        fldigi is very configurable as to how and when you want to use RSID. Typically it is not used for PSK modes, or CW either! ;-)

                        Not all software supports RSID unfortunately.

                        Ken WA8JXM
                      • Mike Miller
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                          Hi Ken,

                          You can also run FLDigi RXID in notify mode where it pops up a
                          notice that you can click if you choose to QSY and change mode
                          or ignore. Which is best depends on what you are doing.

                          73
                          Mike kc9doa

                          On 27 Jul 2013 at 14:38, Ken Meinken wrote:

                          > With RXID, fldigi automatically switches to the
                          > mode it hears on someone else's transmission and then (by
                          > default) turns
                          > RSID off. You can configure fldigi to leave it on, but that
                          > runs the risk
                          > of it switching modes in the middle of a QSO due to QRM.
                        • Tomas Hood
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                            FYI - I am on at 14.073 (center - dial is 14.072121) USB with 8/250 -
                            calling CQ (2040 UTC)

                            --
                            Tomas David Hood (Amateur Radio, NW7US)
                            http://NW7US.us/

                            Contributing editor, Propagation Column:
                            CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications

                            Space Weather: http://sunspotwatch.com/

                            Twitter NW7US : @NW7US ( http://Twitter.com/NW7US )

                            Linux User #32405 - Since 1996