Re: NEWBIE HELP

  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
      > I agree with Jonathan's recommendation. Fldigi work good even on older
      > computers and there are a LOT of hams with older PC's still in use. HRD
      > is a memory/resources hog and in spite of some people's claims, it is a
      > real pain to get all the features set up and functioning properly. And,
      > you do have to have a pretty new computer to use it.
      >
      > So, Fldigi and it's family of programs will get my vote every time.
      > Besides, you can't beat the price!
      >
      > 73, Paul - AE7VT

      I never thought of that. I'm using a Dell Pentium 4 laptop I bought in
      2008, and it was a refurb then. It has served me well and runs FLDIGI
      just fine.

      No matter what one chooses, it's great to see other modes being used on
      the air.

      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
        Jim,
        If you run fldigi on both linux and Windows you can still use the same log for each installation one of several ways

        1. If you have internet access get a dropbox account (which can mirror folders on your linux or windows system AS well as backing it up automatically on their cloud servets)  and create a folder for your dropbox files you want to keep backrd up.  Then move your fldigi logbook file to that folder and point fldigi to it.  Set dropbox up in both linux and Windows and they can all sync up the same log file.  DropBox has a FREE account option for up to everal gigabytes of data.

        2. If you don't have or don't want to use the Internet then set up a small additional Fat32 partition (assuming linux and Windows on the same computer) and keep your fldigi log file on that partition - then point both linux and Windows fldigi to the same file.

        3. If you use separate computers then set up a Pogo (relatively cheap) nas server to do your own local private cloud type system

        I'm sure there are other solutions too

        -Gary WB8ROL

        Sent from Samsung tablet
      • ku4a
        Message 3 of 15 , May 19, 2013
          I wanted to thank everybody that contributed to the "newbie" discussion. I joined this Yahoo group today, and am looking forward to trying some Olivia.

          I use HRD for rig control, but have had all kinds of trouble with it when trying to transmit digital modes. My problem was probably something simple, but I gave up and have used Digipan, MixW, JT65HF etc for a long time for with great success.

          So, it sounds like FLdigi is the way to go. I'll be looking forward to working many of you on the air, soon.

          Chris
          KU4A
          Lexington KY
        • g0dor
          Message 4 of 15 , May 20, 2013
            Hi Chris.

            Not sure if you want to progress with HRD but like you , I had issues but finally got it work with HRD and MixW.

            The settings are different (CTS/RTS).

            Let me know if you would like some input.

            Regards - Phil (G0DOR)