Re: NEWBIE HELP

  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
      I vote for FLDIGI. I've been using it for a few years now and find it to
      be excellent and very easy to use. It can do just about any
      configuration of OLIVIA, and it does numerous other modes.

      I tried HRD, but I thought it was bloated, I prefer something clean
      simple and to the point, and FLDIGI fits the bill just fine, and it had
      more modes to pick from than HRD.

      Good luck.

      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
    • Paul Cavnar
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
        Message
        I agree with Jonathan's recommendation.  Fldigi work good even on older computers and there are a LOT of hams with older PC's still in use.  HRD is a memory/resources hog and in spite of some people's claims, it is a real pain to get all the features set up and functioning properly.  And, you do have to have a pretty new computer to use it.

        So, Fldigi and it's family of programs will get my vote every time.  Besides, you can't beat the price!

        73, Paul - AE7VT

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
          FlDigi lacks nothing IMO but is the most elegant and solid option. DM780 borrowed FlDigi code for much of its core, then proceeded to bloat it out. Which suits some well, but not me. Of course, as one who prefers Linux anyway there is no contest. Also look for some optional pieces such as FlRig, etc. (note: I am rather behind on what the current version comes with, so the last comment might be irrelevant- or possibly more relevant than I even realize!)

          Anyway, I challenge anyone to come up with anything more a labor of love
          or more efficient! Dave gave us quite a wonderful gift in all his many efforts.

          YMMV.
          Stu AF6IT
        • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
            > I agree with Jonathan's recommendation. Fldigi work good even on older
            > computers and there are a LOT of hams with older PC's still in use. HRD
            > is a memory/resources hog and in spite of some people's claims, it is a
            > real pain to get all the features set up and functioning properly. And,
            > you do have to have a pretty new computer to use it.
            >
            > So, Fldigi and it's family of programs will get my vote every time.
            > Besides, you can't beat the price!
            >
            > 73, Paul - AE7VT

            I never thought of that. I'm using a Dell Pentium 4 laptop I bought in
            2008, and it was a refurb then. It has served me well and runs FLDIGI
            just fine.

            No matter what one chooses, it's great to see other modes being used on
            the air.

            Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
            Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
          • Gary
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
              Jim,
              If you run fldigi on both linux and Windows you can still use the same log for each installation one of several ways

              1. If you have internet access get a dropbox account (which can mirror folders on your linux or windows system AS well as backing it up automatically on their cloud servets)  and create a folder for your dropbox files you want to keep backrd up.  Then move your fldigi logbook file to that folder and point fldigi to it.  Set dropbox up in both linux and Windows and they can all sync up the same log file.  DropBox has a FREE account option for up to everal gigabytes of data.

              2. If you don't have or don't want to use the Internet then set up a small additional Fat32 partition (assuming linux and Windows on the same computer) and keep your fldigi log file on that partition - then point both linux and Windows fldigi to the same file.

              3. If you use separate computers then set up a Pogo (relatively cheap) nas server to do your own local private cloud type system

              I'm sure there are other solutions too

              -Gary WB8ROL

              Sent from Samsung tablet
            • ku4a
              Message 6 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                I wanted to thank everybody that contributed to the "newbie" discussion. I joined this Yahoo group today, and am looking forward to trying some Olivia.

                I use HRD for rig control, but have had all kinds of trouble with it when trying to transmit digital modes. My problem was probably something simple, but I gave up and have used Digipan, MixW, JT65HF etc for a long time for with great success.

                So, it sounds like FLdigi is the way to go. I'll be looking forward to working many of you on the air, soon.

                Chris
                KU4A
                Lexington KY
              • g0dor
                Message 7 of 15 , May 20, 2013
                  Hi Chris.

                  Not sure if you want to progress with HRD but like you , I had issues but finally got it work with HRD and MixW.

                  The settings are different (CTS/RTS).

                  Let me know if you would like some input.

                  Regards - Phil (G0DOR)