NEWBIE HELP

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
      I am wondering if there might be some suggestions as to what software might be good for Olivia/what are some of the pros & cons of different software, etc.?

      I am just getting started, and would really appreciate the assistance!

      Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
        fldigi is very good software and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pretty easy to use.

        There are other options, Ham Radio Deluxe is popular but I find it harder to use and is limited to Windows.

        Ken

        On Mar 24, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Michael wrote:

        > I am wondering if there might be some suggestions as to what software might be good for Olivia/what are some of the pros & cons of different software, etc.?
        >
        > I am just getting started, and would really appreciate the assistance!
        >

        > Mike

      • John Netro-N9WVM
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
          I use Ham Radio Deluxe

          John

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
            I have tried just about all the software that can run Olivia. I prefer FLDigi because it can be configured to ANY of the 40 different ways that Olivia can be set up for. It has a decent feature set and it is open source.

            At one time Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780, it digital client, supported Olivia fully. But at some point, in their "infinite wisdom (?)", they took that capability out and it only supports the configurations that THEY deem necessary. And considering the ones they chose I assume the folks in charge really don't use Olivia much if at all.

            Now, perhaps, they have changed it back since they went commercial, I don't know. But last time I looked it did NOT support Olivia fully.

            On the other hand, many folks like DM780 and like all the features it has. Tons of them. Way too many in my opinion. I would say it is bloated.

            MultiPSK only partially supports Olivia too. But it has a TON of modes - of course most of them never being used.

            MixW, the last time I looked, supported Olivia fully though they don't make it all that easy to use it without having to pull up a configuration dialog all the time.

            So, I use FLDigi because I feel it works out much better for serious Olivia users.

            But on the other hand, WHY limit yourself? I have them ALL installed on my system even though I seldom use anything except FLDigi.

            These are just MY opinions after 6 years of using Olivia. It may just depend on how serious you are about Olivia as to what will personally suit you.

            ---Gary WB8ROL

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, John Netro-N9WVM <n9wvm@...> wrote:

            > I use Ham Radio Deluxe
            >
            > John
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
              Well said Gary. I would add that whatever you use back up your macros and logs. It sucks to have to redo 4 or 5 sets of macros!

              Dan
              KC7UBS
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 24, 2013, at 19:08, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

              I have tried just about all the software that can run Olivia. I prefer FLDigi because it can be configured to ANY of the 40 different ways that Olivia can be set up for. It has a decent feature set and it is open source.

              At one time Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780, it digital client, supported Olivia fully. But at some point, in their "infinite wisdom (?)", they took that capability out and it only supports the configurations that THEY deem necessary. And considering the ones they chose I assume the folks in charge really don't use Olivia much if at all.

              Now, perhaps, they have changed it back since they went commercial, I don't know. But last time I looked it did NOT support Olivia fully.

              On the other hand, many folks like DM780 and like all the features it has. Tons of them. Way too many in my opinion. I would say it is bloated.

              MultiPSK only partially supports Olivia too. But it has a TON of modes - of course most of them never being used.

              MixW, the last time I looked, supported Olivia fully though they don't make it all that easy to use it without having to pull up a configuration dialog all the time.

              So, I use FLDigi because I feel it works out much better for serious Olivia users.

              But on the other hand, WHY limit yourself? I have them ALL installed on my system even though I seldom use anything except FLDigi.

              These are just MY opinions after 6 years of using Olivia. It may just depend on how serious you are about Olivia as to what will personally suit you.

              ---Gary WB8ROL

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, John Netro-N9WVM <n9wvm@...> wrote:

              > I use Ham Radio Deluxe
              >
              > John
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Tom DF5JL
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                Hi Mike,

                do you like the luxurious model with all the glitter and glister? Give
                Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) a chance (and if you're using a Microsoft OS). If
                you like a free software with no frills and furbelows, operational at
                Windows, Linux and Mac OS, than try Fldigi. I found it the most "jeepy"
                (general purpose) software solution for digimode operating. Fldigi helps
                you to focus on communications. And there might be a little edge of
                tougher decoding at less SNR I've observed when using HRD and Fldigi in
                parallel.

                73 Tom DF5JL

                Am 24.03.13 18:31, schrieb Michael:
                > I am wondering if there might be some suggestions as to what software
                > might be good for Olivia/what are some of the pros & cons of different
                > software, etc.?
                >
                > I am just getting started, and would really appreciate the assistance!
                >
                > Mike

              • jhaynesatalumni
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                  A good reason to choose one program and stick with it is that you
                  don't have your logs spread all over the machine. It's bad enough
                  for me using fldigi on both Windows and Linux, each with its own
                  logging. But in the end it's just a matter of preference - I wouldn't
                  say there is a large performance difference among all the programs
                  out there.

                  You'll also want to try Contestia, which is like Olivia in performance
                  but upper case only and therefore a little faster.

                  Jim W6JVE
                • Tom DF5JL
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Am 25.03.13 18:17, schrieb jhhaynes@...:

                    > You'll also want to try Contestia, which is like Olivia in performance
                    > but upper case only and therefore a little faster.
                    >
                    > Jim W6JVE

                    Hi Jim, twice as fast as Olivia. That' the PRO. The CON is: half as many
                    possible contacts than Olivia ;-) -- 73 Tom DF5JL
                  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                      I vote for FLDIGI. I've been using it for a few years now and find it to
                      be excellent and very easy to use. It can do just about any
                      configuration of OLIVIA, and it does numerous other modes.

                      I tried HRD, but I thought it was bloated, I prefer something clean
                      simple and to the point, and FLDIGI fits the bill just fine, and it had
                      more modes to pick from than HRD.

                      Good luck.

                      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                    • Paul Cavnar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                        Message
                        I agree with Jonathan's recommendation.  Fldigi work good even on older computers and there are a LOT of hams with older PC's still in use.  HRD is a memory/resources hog and in spite of some people's claims, it is a real pain to get all the features set up and functioning properly.  And, you do have to have a pretty new computer to use it.

                        So, Fldigi and it's family of programs will get my vote every time.  Besides, you can't beat the price!

                        73, Paul - AE7VT

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                          FlDigi lacks nothing IMO but is the most elegant and solid option. DM780 borrowed FlDigi code for much of its core, then proceeded to bloat it out. Which suits some well, but not me. Of course, as one who prefers Linux anyway there is no contest. Also look for some optional pieces such as FlRig, etc. (note: I am rather behind on what the current version comes with, so the last comment might be irrelevant- or possibly more relevant than I even realize!)

                          Anyway, I challenge anyone to come up with anything more a labor of love
                          or more efficient! Dave gave us quite a wonderful gift in all his many efforts.

                          YMMV.
                          Stu AF6IT
                        • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
                            > I agree with Jonathan's recommendation. Fldigi work good even on older
                            > computers and there are a LOT of hams with older PC's still in use. HRD
                            > is a memory/resources hog and in spite of some people's claims, it is a
                            > real pain to get all the features set up and functioning properly. And,
                            > you do have to have a pretty new computer to use it.
                            >
                            > So, Fldigi and it's family of programs will get my vote every time.
                            > Besides, you can't beat the price!
                            >
                            > 73, Paul - AE7VT

                            I never thought of that. I'm using a Dell Pentium 4 laptop I bought in
                            2008, and it was a refurb then. It has served me well and runs FLDIGI
                            just fine.

                            No matter what one chooses, it's great to see other modes being used on
                            the air.

                            Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                            Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                          • Gary
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                              Jim,
                              If you run fldigi on both linux and Windows you can still use the same log for each installation one of several ways

                              1. If you have internet access get a dropbox account (which can mirror folders on your linux or windows system AS well as backing it up automatically on their cloud servets)  and create a folder for your dropbox files you want to keep backrd up.  Then move your fldigi logbook file to that folder and point fldigi to it.  Set dropbox up in both linux and Windows and they can all sync up the same log file.  DropBox has a FREE account option for up to everal gigabytes of data.

                              2. If you don't have or don't want to use the Internet then set up a small additional Fat32 partition (assuming linux and Windows on the same computer) and keep your fldigi log file on that partition - then point both linux and Windows fldigi to the same file.

                              3. If you use separate computers then set up a Pogo (relatively cheap) nas server to do your own local private cloud type system

                              I'm sure there are other solutions too

                              -Gary WB8ROL

                              Sent from Samsung tablet
                            • ku4a
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 19, 2013
                                I wanted to thank everybody that contributed to the "newbie" discussion. I joined this Yahoo group today, and am looking forward to trying some Olivia.

                                I use HRD for rig control, but have had all kinds of trouble with it when trying to transmit digital modes. My problem was probably something simple, but I gave up and have used Digipan, MixW, JT65HF etc for a long time for with great success.

                                So, it sounds like FLdigi is the way to go. I'll be looking forward to working many of you on the air, soon.

                                Chris
                                KU4A
                                Lexington KY
                              • g0dor
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 20, 2013
                                  Hi Chris.

                                  Not sure if you want to progress with HRD but like you , I had issues but finally got it work with HRD and MixW.

                                  The settings are different (CTS/RTS).

                                  Let me know if you would like some input.

                                  Regards - Phil (G0DOR)