Re: Top Band

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
      How about 1.807 ?? Last night I listened up to around 1.900 and heard a few SSB QSOs and some CW. I called CQ on 1.807 and around the CW signals with PSK31 and Olivia but no one answered. Any free frequency but I keep seeing 1.807 as the most mentioned on the Internet.

      I have never worked 160 meters in any mode and an Olivia or PSK31 QSO sure would make climbing around on the roof worth the effort :)

      I'll try to be around from 7 to 10 pm central time tonight. 1.807... and will post it on hamspots.net

      And..... anyone wanting to set a schedule to make contact, please send me an email at kt4ep@... and/or post it here in case others want to join in, I don't always look at the Yahoo forum page but get the daily digest.
      Keith
      KT4EP
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
        Now, I LIKE that chart! Thanks.
        Keith
        KT4EP

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
          No, Ian, I don't think it will help the OP at all. The OP specifically asked about Olivia and I don't even see that mentioned on your chart. To the OP, I've found a little bit of Olivia/Contestia/etc. around 1838-1840.

          While I admit that 160 is chaos, your "bandplan" doesn't reflect the reality for digital modes as far as the U.S. is concerned.

          I've never heard ANY digital modes (except CW) in the first 30 kHz of the band, certainly not in the 1800-1810 segment.

          73,
          Ken WA8JXM

          On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:

          > This may help:
          >
          > The 160m Band Utilization Chart:
          > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/160m_band_utilization.htm
          >
          > --
          > 73
          > Ian, G3NRW
        • ab9ta
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
            Hello All,

            1807 KHz is a really old recommended frequency for PSK, and not much except CW occurs there any more..

            1838 is a much better spot, there's lots of digital mode activity in the 1835 to 1840 space.. Just be sure to watch and listen for the JT-65 folks and leave them room..

            There is a Yahoo group specifically for 160 Meter digial modes, search for "Top Band Digital". We have regular activity nights on Wednesdays and Saturdays..

            You can post your planned activities on TBD, and Hamspots is great too..
            8/250 is the more common Olivia mode on 160, although I saw some 8/500 last year..

            As an aside, RTTY is popular on 160, I think I've had more RTTY than Olivia on 160 this year..

            I'll be looking for you on 160...

            73!
            Bill AB9TA
          • Mike Miller
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
              Hi Ken,

              There has been PSK31 activity on 1807, at least during some of
              the 070 club contests.

              73
              Mike kc9doa 070 #1040

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
                Oh heck, during contests, normal procedures do not apply. But in normal times, I've never heard anything but CW down on 1807. And that's where I I operate CW.

                But again, the OP asked about Olivia frequencies.

                Ken WA8JXM

                On Nov 26, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

                > There has been PSK31 activity on 1807, at least during some of
                > the 070 club contests.
              • Keith
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
                  thanks for the info, Bill
                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Well, I have found if I call CQ with Olivia just on the upper edges of the psk31 crowd (not interfering with anyone) I usually can scare up a QSO with someone and sometimes introduce a Ham to Olivia for the first time. Seems to me that there might be sparse Olivia AND psk31 on 160 because either hams don't have antennas for it or they spend most of their time on the other HF bands.

                    Anyhow, I will dial in 1.807 and 1.838 in those areas, and call CQ. I have seen 1.838 as a commonly mentioned frequency, too. I haven't been on 160 enough to know anything or hear much except some CW and phone QSOs.

                    Thanks for all the suggestions and help,
                    Keith
                    KT4EP
                  • Keith
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
                      0135 and copying W5NZ with C6ARU at 1838 OL 8/250, strong signals. So... after an hour and half calling CQ at 1807 I guess I was in the wrong spot.
                    • Mike Miller
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
                        Hi Keith,

                        I did see one psk31 CQ on 1807, but he gave up before I got my
                        act together. Later I had a nice OL 8/250 QSO on 1836 dial
                        freq.

                        73
                        Mike kc9doa

                        On 27 Nov 2012 at 1:36, Keith wrote:

                        > 0135 and copying W5NZ with C6ARU at 1838 OL 8/250, strong
                        > signals. So... after an hour and half calling CQ at 1807 I
                        > guess I was in the wrong spot.

                        > To stop email, send an email to:
                        > oliviadata-nomail@yahoogroups.com

                      • Ian Wade G3NRW
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
                          From: Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...>
                          Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 Time: 15:00:40

                          >No, Ian, I don't think it will help the OP at all. The OP specifically
                          >asked about Olivia and I don't even see that mentioned on your chart.

                          How embarrassing! You're absolutely right.

                          >To the OP, I've found a little bit of Olivia/Contestia/etc. around
                          >1838-1840.

                          I will add this to the chart.

                          >While I admit that 160 is chaos, your "bandplan" doesn't reflect the
                          >reality for digital modes as far as the U.S. is concerned.

                          The chart specifically is *not* a "bandplan" (although the Regional
                          Bandplans were included for reference). I am just reporting the "chaos".

                          If anyone has any further updates of *actual* activity, please let me
                          know.

                          Ian, G3NRW

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
                            Ian,

                            Just to be clear, my "1838-1840" was center frequency, so 1836-1838 would be the dial frequencies, which fits with what a few others have reported.

                            73,
                            Ken WA8JXM

                            On Nov 27, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:

                            >> To the OP, I've found a little bit of Olivia/Contestia/etc. around
                            >> 1838-1840.
                            >>

                            > I will add this to the chart.
                          • John Tate
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
                              That brings up a great point.  I always use my center frequency when referencing my digital modes.  Dial frequency for phone.  It just makes more sense to me. :)

                              73 John KX5JT

                              Just to be clear, my "1838-1840" was center frequency, so 1836-1838 would be the dial frequencies, which fits with what a few others have reported.

                              73,
                              Ken WA8JXM

                              On Nov 27, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:

                              >> To the OP, I've found a little bit of Olivia/Contestia/etc. around
                              >> 1838-1840.
                              >>

                              > I will add this to the chart.

                              Recent Activity:
                                --
                                CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)
                                To change

                                Message 14 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012

                                  On Nov 27, 2012, at 8:56 PM, John Tate wrote:

                                  That brings up a great point.  I always use my center frequency when referencing my digital modes.  Dial frequency for phone.  It just makes more sense to me. :)

                                  John,

                                  I agree with you.   Unless an offset is given, a dial frequency is somewhat vague and could be off by 1200 Hz or more.

                                  Ken WA8JXM