Re: [olivia] Introduction.

  • John Tate
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
      Hi,

      Although the signature/footer of this group says "CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14.076.4kHz (center),
      I have found that region of the band taken over by JT65HF... apparently Olivia is much more common
      during PRIME times (dusk to 10:30pm local is a good time to look for signals) during the week and more
      common on the weekends at any time.  This tends to correspond to more activity in general really.  The best place
      to look for it is above the common psk regions and BELOW the JT65HF in my experience, i.e. around
      14.073 through 14.074.5 kHz (center).  This is true with most of the more rare digital modes i.e.
      OLIVIA and FELDHELL (once more common, but still seen from time to time).

      73 and good luck! de John KX5JT

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012

        Hello

        I have to agree with John, seems I work more Olivia and other modes a little above the PSK

        Modes, 14.072 to 14.074. And same on 30mtrs, 10.141 or 7.036 to 7.037 on 40 mtrs.

        I usually hear stations on 30 and 40 after sundown.

        Hope CU on the bands.

        Rex

        WB8TDG

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
          Message
          Hi Gil -

          There are a few Olivia stations that get on 30m at times, a couple in So. California, one Canadian in B.C. along with myself.  Usually running 16/500 but, occasionally 8/250 signals can be seen.

          It is a good mode for QRP since it does very well for weak signal accuracy.  Personally, I like having an interface that isolates my radio from the computer just in case I end up with RF getting back into the radio, the interface seems to protect the computer by isolating any direct connections.

          73, Paul Cavnar - AE7VT
          Reno, NV.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
            Hi Ken,

            Listen to OL 32/1000 USB, center qrg 14107.5 - there you will find traffic from time to time.

            Best 73 Tom DF5JL

            Gesendet mit BlackBerry von Vodafone

            From: Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...>
            Sender: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:03:21 -0400
            To: <oliviadata@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com

            On Sep 10, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Gil G. wrote:

            Yep, been doing that. I haven't found an Olivia signal yet, only PSK31..

            Digital activity is way down this summer.   I haven't heard much besides PSK31 either.

            Will look into SignaLink..

            SignaLink really simplifies things and works well in my experience.

            73,
            Ken WA8JXM
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
              Ditto, Gary... I also hang out just above all the psk31 traffic such as 14.073, 18.103, 21.073... etc.. except for 10.140 where I seldom see much psk31.. it's there, just not as busy. And ditto, for domino, mfsk16, thor and etc. Try calling CQ above the psk31 traffic.. I make many contacts that way.
              Keith
              KT4EP
            • Gil G.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                  Hi Gil

                  I am a little busy this week during the evening as my daughter is getting married on Saturday. But next week I will have some more free time so if you want to set up a sked please let me know via email. Not sure where you are located but surely we can make it work on one of the bands.

                  73, Rick VE3FMC

                  Oh and same goes for anyone else in this group. I have not worked much Olivia for the past year, been doing JT65. But I would love to get back into Olivia and get a good rag chew going!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                    Thanks a lot, I'll let you know :-)