Introduction.

  • Gil G.
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2012
      Hello,

      I am just getting into Ham radio, though not new to radio or electronics.
      Olivia sounds like a great mode for QRP, which is my main interest.
      I built an Elecraft K2 and would like to try it with that mode also.
      I do not have the SSB board yet, so it will be a few weeks..
      Has anyone used Olivia with a K2? How did you hook it up, and what software do you use?

      Also, I started a Ham web site: http://radiopreppers.com

      Have a great day,

      Gil.
    • VE3FMC
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
        Hi Gil

        I do not own a K2 but I would suggest you download the latest and last free version of Ham Radio Deluxe software. It will work with a K2, and it includes a good log program and also Digital Master 780 which is software for the digital modes. It covers all of the main digital modes including Olivia. It does not cover JT65 which is another great mode for QRP. For that you can download JT65-HF.

        As far as your K2 hookup to the computer, you will need the CAT cable that runs from the rig to your computer.

        You will need an interface between the radio and computer to enable you to operate the digital modes. I use a SignaLink USB from Tigertronics. It has a built in soundcard and works well. I have been using mine since 2007.

        Olivia is a great low power mode. But remember this, it is a slow transmission mode and runs your radio at 100% duty cycle. That is not a problem with a 100 watt rig as most of us run around 10-20 watts with Olivia so the rig is not running full out power for long key down periods. That will not be the case with your K2. So watch for overheating.

        Let me know when you are ready to go and maybe we can set up a sked.

        73, Rick VE3FMC

      • df5jl@web.de
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
          Hi Gil,

          Nice website. -- I would recommend for your 1st steps FLDIGI, which runs on windows, mac os and linux boxes. The surface is leaner than Ham Radio Deluxe, but allows also remote operation of your station, the using of macros (if you like), and it has a lot of other digimodes, too. FLDIGi is free and runs without faults in my shack - together with a ts-480sat and a ic-707 - for month.

          But you need ssb for those soundcard driven modes like olivia, mfsk, mt-63, psk31 etc.!

          Olivia is perfect for qrp operations because of fec (forward error correction) and starting decoding error free at abt. -12 dB S/N.

          I'm working every continent with only 5 watts and an attic dipole. It's great fun - if you like ragchewing.

          Best 73
          Tom DF5JL

          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Gil G." <gil@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am just getting into Ham radio, though not new to radio or electronics.
          > Olivia sounds like a great mode for QRP, which is my main interest.
          > I built an Elecraft K2 and would like to try it with that mode also.
          > I do not have the SSB board yet, so it will be a few weeks..
          > Has anyone used Olivia with a K2? How did you hook it up, and what software do you use?
          >
          > Also, I started a Ham web site: http://radiopreppers.com
          >
          > Have a great day,
          >
          > Gil.

        • Gil G.
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
            Thank you Rick. The K2 manual specifies that you must turn the power down to 5W for digital modes..
            I am not running Windows, so for now, I am limited to using fldigi. Later when I upgrade my laptop, I will leave Windows on it..
            Doesn't the sound card in the computer work without having to buy  a Signalink interface? Or is it better to do so?

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
              Hi Gil

              You can home brew an interface, and then use the computer sound card. I just preferred to go the SignaLink USB route as a friend of mine had that setup and it worked great.

              You can use the soundcard to rcve for now if you want.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
                Yep, been doing that. I haven't found an Olivia signal yet, only PSK31..
                Will look into SignaLink.. Thanks!

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012

                  On Sep 10, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Gil G. wrote:

                  Yep, been doing that. I haven't found an Olivia signal yet, only PSK31..

                  Digital activity is way down this summer.   I haven't heard much besides PSK31 either.

                  Will look into SignaLink..

                  SignaLink really simplifies things and works well in my experience.

                  73,
                  Ken WA8JXM
                • John Tate
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
                    Hi,

                    Although the signature/footer of this group says "CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14.076.4kHz (center),
                    I have found that region of the band taken over by JT65HF... apparently Olivia is much more common
                    during PRIME times (dusk to 10:30pm local is a good time to look for signals) during the week and more
                    common on the weekends at any time.  This tends to correspond to more activity in general really.  The best place
                    to look for it is above the common psk regions and BELOW the JT65HF in my experience, i.e. around
                    14.073 through 14.074.5 kHz (center).  This is true with most of the more rare digital modes i.e.
                    OLIVIA and FELDHELL (once more common, but still seen from time to time).

                    73 and good luck! de John KX5JT

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
                      try :

                      you will find sigs around 14073
                      Gary WD9DUI

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012

                        Hello

                        I have to agree with John, seems I work more Olivia and other modes a little above the PSK

                        Modes, 14.072 to 14.074. And same on 30mtrs, 10.141 or 7.036 to 7.037 on 40 mtrs.

                        I usually hear stations on 30 and 40 after sundown.

                        Hope CU on the bands.

                        Rex

                        WB8TDG

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 10, 2012
                          Message
                          Hi Gil -

                          There are a few Olivia stations that get on 30m at times, a couple in So. California, one Canadian in B.C. along with myself.  Usually running 16/500 but, occasionally 8/250 signals can be seen.

                          It is a good mode for QRP since it does very well for weak signal accuracy.  Personally, I like having an interface that isolates my radio from the computer just in case I end up with RF getting back into the radio, the interface seems to protect the computer by isolating any direct connections.

                          73, Paul Cavnar - AE7VT
                          Reno, NV.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                            Hi Ken,

                            Listen to OL 32/1000 USB, center qrg 14107.5 - there you will find traffic from time to time.

                            Best 73 Tom DF5JL

                            Gesendet mit BlackBerry von Vodafone

                            From: Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...>
                            Sender: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:03:21 -0400
                            To: <oliviadata@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com

                            On Sep 10, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Gil G. wrote:

                            Yep, been doing that. I haven't found an Olivia signal yet, only PSK31..

                            Digital activity is way down this summer.   I haven't heard much besides PSK31 either.

                            Will look into SignaLink..

                            SignaLink really simplifies things and works well in my experience.

                            73,
                            Ken WA8JXM
                          • Keith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                              Ditto, Gary... I also hang out just above all the psk31 traffic such as 14.073, 18.103, 21.073... etc.. except for 10.140 where I seldom see much psk31.. it's there, just not as busy. And ditto, for domino, mfsk16, thor and etc. Try calling CQ above the psk31 traffic.. I make many contacts that way.
                              Keith
                              KT4EP
                            • Gil G.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                                  Hi Gil

                                  I am a little busy this week during the evening as my daughter is getting married on Saturday. But next week I will have some more free time so if you want to set up a sked please let me know via email. Not sure where you are located but surely we can make it work on one of the bands.

                                  73, Rick VE3FMC

                                  Oh and same goes for anyone else in this group. I have not worked much Olivia for the past year, been doing JT65. But I would love to get back into Olivia and get a good rag chew going!

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                                    Thanks a lot, I'll let you know :-)