Re: [olivia] Re: ANY ACTIVITY?

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
      Make sure you keep an eye on:
      http://hamspots.net/olivia/
      also post there, so we can find out who is where!
      73
      Gary WD9DUI

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
        On Jun 3, 2012, at 6:48 PM, VE3FMC wrote:

        > Someone mentioned the summer band conditions, atmospheric noise. Well IMO Olivia is the CHAMP when it comes to cutting through noisy band conditions.

        Have you actually compared Olivia to MT-63-500? From what I have heard, it's frequency and time diversity might handle static very well. I've been meaning to give it a try some time when we have a nearby thunderstorm.

        73,
        Ken WA8JXM
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
          I just pick a band and get on upper edge of psk31 traffic and call CQ usually get a response, eventually. Like it was done to me, I sometimes introduce someone to their first Olivia mode qso this way by hanging on the upper edges like that. Comment, if none of us call CQ and just listen for someone else, then contacts are going to be few and far between. I check hampspots frequently, too. Got a nice Italian station yesterday on 14.073 16/500. He was calling cq and not getting a reply. I see Gary, WD9DUI, more than anyone else on Olivia.
          enjoy
          73
          KT4EP
        • Gary L. Robinson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012

            Amen!!

            I have had OVER 2,500 Olivia QSO's since late 2007 and over 89pct by calling CQ -- NOT by listening and after NOT hearing any Olivia signals just turn the rig off or go to another mode.

            I realize some hams don't like to put out CQ's. But.... That's the way to have many many QSO'S on this mode. I seldom have to put out more than a few CQ'S on 20mtrs unless condx are real GOOD. If condx are real good it often takes a few more CQ'S but if they are BAD it is often easier since the other modes can't get through at all!

            And I think the HFLink Olivia bandplan is mostly inadequate. I usually hang out above the PSKERS. And try and avoid the ever encroaching JT65A "largely" attended semi automatic operation.

            Gary WB8ROL