Re: ANY ACTIVITY?

  • Marcus
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
      All,

      I believe it would help if activity were centered on these proposed frequencies:
      http://hflink.com/olivia/

      instead of going on a hunt for some Olivia. Until now, I never found activity on these frequencies although I tried often. Only Olivia I ever found was going hunting with the waterfall display or reviewing cluster spot announcements.

      Since you all also noticed a paucity of activity, how about we take this as an invitation to center our activities on these proposed frequencies? Would love to meet you there at the weekend!

      vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
        As far as I can tell, those are some very old frequencies that nobody uses, at least on 40m. And that "bandplan" hasn't been updated since U.S. 60m rules have been changed.

        73,
        Ken WA8JXM

        On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Marcus wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > I believe it would help if activity were centered on these proposed frequencies:
        > http://hflink.com/olivia/
        >
        > instead of going on a hunt for some Olivia. Until now, I never found activity on these frequencies although I tried often. Only Olivia I ever found was going hunting with the waterfall display or reviewing cluster spot announcements.
        >
        > Since you all also noticed a paucity of activity, how about we take this as an invitation to center our activities on these proposed frequencies? Would love to meet you there at the weekend!
        >
        > vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
      • Gary
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
          Welcome to the club! I spend hrs on 15M in the mornings and get very few calls if any. WSPR, show the band is open etc.
          I use to hang out on 40 at nights but that cuts into my cw /qrp oper time..
          73
          Gary WD9DUI

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
            Maybe that bandplan needs an update, but maybe also not. Why is nobody using those frequencies? It's what people turn to when they want to get started into this mode as it is a reference. Seems silly to "hide" somewhere else.

            How about we here either all "agree" on using those defined frequencies (we are 591 group members here!), or (which is more cumbersome) redefine them since I too would love to make more contacts, but don't want to go searching through the bands like a madman and giving up on the mode.

            Re 60m, I will personally look into it that that info is updated.

            vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

            > As far as I can tell, those are some very old frequencies that nobody uses, at least on 40m. And that "bandplan" hasn't been updated since U.S. 60m rules have been changed.
            > 73,
            > Ken WA8JXM

            > > I believe it would help if activity were centered on these proposed frequencies:
            > > http://hflink.com/olivia/
            > > vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
          • Ian Wade G3NRW
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
              From: Gary L. Robinson <grobin1949@...>
              Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 Time: 21:10:56

              >20mtrs is still quite active with Olivia but 30mtrs and below seems to be
              >dead quite often.

              Gary

              For 30m, take a look at the 30m Band Utilization Chart:

              In general, you can try to stir up activity on any band by using the
              well-known spotting sites:
              http://hamspots.net
              http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=digitalradio

              Just post a CQ self-spot on these sites, and see what happens.
              Ian, G3NRW

              The 30m Band Utilization Chart:

              The 160m Band Utilization Chart:
              http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/160m_band_utilization.htm

              The Top Band Digital Group (TBD160):
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                I don't think any website or group can have a significant impact on frequency usage. Even ARRL and IARU don't get people to follow their bandplans (some of which are hairbrained, IMO.) Only the FCC is successful :-)

                If "we" here agree, that's probably something like 1% of all digital users. The other 99% are going to continue where they were. Trying to change things only splinters the usage and makes for more "I don't hear any activity."

                I think the only "successful" frequency frequency list is one that shows what is actually being used, not trying to change what everyone is already using.

                When I first started out in digital, I looked at this list (I have it printed out in the desk drawer). But I found that it didn't reflect reality, so it stays in the drawer.

                I hear most non-psk digital activity just above the psk on 40m (7036) with some up on 7071, 7072 especially in the mornings. Likewise on 20m but it's usually a couple of kHz higher (14073 or 74) with the wideband Olivia up on the 14105, 106 channels. 160 is similar, just above the psk on 1836. I've never heard any digital below 1810, that's cw only territory.

                In general, I think "just above the PSK users" is the best for the other digital modes. That keeps all the digital modes in the same space which helps us all.

                As for separate channels for different submodes, I usually stick to one frequency and vary my digital mode. I'll start out calling CQ in Thor, then Domino, then Contestia or MT63.

                If we want more activity, I think calling CQ is what is needed. If everybody listens and says "nobody is on", then of course, nobody is on. If we want activity, we have to call CQ, not just sit there expecting someone else to call CQ.

                73,
                Ken WA8JXM

                On Jun 1, 2012, at 9:34 PM, kd0jkm wrote:

                > Maybe that bandplan needs an update, but maybe also not. Why is nobody using those frequencies? It's what people turn to when they want to get started into this mode as it is a reference. Seems silly to "hide" somewhere else.
                >
                > How about we here either all "agree" on using those defined frequencies (we are 591 group members here!), or (which is more cumbersome) redefine them since I too would love to make more contacts, but don't want to go searching through the bands like a madman and giving up on the mode.
              • Jaak Hohensee
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                  2.06.2012 14:50, Ken Meinken:
                  In general, I think "just above the PSK users" is the best for the other digital modes. That keeps all the digital modes in the same space which helps us all.
                  This is enough  good definition for "channelisation" narrow band Olivia.
                  The bw 500Hz is too wide, better to use 250/8 as standard like Contestia. RSID supported by better modems.
                  Olivia is the only (?) fullcharcterset (+extended) mode that pass high latitude disturbed and polar path propagation below -10dB.  The metonym bulletproof is proper.  I remember the QSO with 2 bpsk on top and the copy was near perfect.

                  As for separate channels for different submodes, I usually stick to one frequency and vary my digital mode. I'll start out calling CQ in Thor, then Domino, then Contestia or MT63. The Domino is extremly good for white noise.  DEX4 without FEC keep -18dB, Thor 4 -19dB, near the jt65a.

                  73, es1hj
                  Jaak Hohensee

                • humescj
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                    Well, folks, I had a hard time getting first qso but
                    finally found the right freq, etc. I never saw
                    a single signal on the recommended frequency for 20
                    meters. I remembered seeing some signals rught at the upper
                    end of the usual psk31 frequency though. About 14.073.
                    Bingo !! Thats it and the guy I worked said thats the
                    best place to look. Carl K9EEI

                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

                    > I don't think any website or group can have a significant impact on frequency usage. Even ARRL and IARU don't get people to follow their bandplans (some of which are hairbrained, IMO.) Only the FCC is successful :-)
                    >
                    > If "we" here agree, that's probably something like 1% of all digital users. The other 99% are going to continue where they were. Trying to change things only splinters the usage and makes for more "I don't hear any activity."
                    >
                    > I think the only "successful" frequency frequency list is one that shows what is actually being used, not trying to change what everyone is already using.
                    >
                    > When I first started out in digital, I looked at this list (I have it printed out in the desk drawer). But I found that it didn't reflect reality, so it stays in the drawer.
                    >
                    > I hear most non-psk digital activity just above the psk on 40m (7036) with some up on 7071, 7072 especially in the mornings. Likewise on 20m but it's usually a couple of kHz higher (14073 or 74) with the wideband Olivia up on the 14105, 106 channels. 160 is similar, just above the psk on 1836. I've never heard any digital below 1810, that's cw only territory.
                    >
                    > In general, I think "just above the PSK users" is the best for the other digital modes. That keeps all the digital modes in the same space which helps us all.
                    >
                    > As for separate channels for different submodes, I usually stick to one frequency and vary my digital mode. I'll start out calling CQ in Thor, then Domino, then Contestia or MT63.
                    >
                    > If we want more activity, I think calling CQ is what is needed. If everybody listens and says "nobody is on", then of course, nobody is on. If we want activity, we have to call CQ, not just sit there expecting someone else to call CQ.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Ken WA8JXM
                    >

                    > On Jun 1, 2012, at 9:34 PM, kd0jkm wrote:
                    >
                    > > Maybe that bandplan needs an update, but maybe also not. Why is nobody using those frequencies? It's what people turn to when they want to get started into this mode as it is a reference. Seems silly to "hide" somewhere else.
                    > >
                    > > How about we here either all "agree" on using those defined frequencies (we are 591 group members here!), or (which is more cumbersome) redefine them since I too would love to make more contacts, but don't want to go searching through the bands like a madman and giving up on the mode.

                  • kd0jkm
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Hi Ken,

                      I like your take on this. Wasn't my intention to splinter activity. Just seems that when we here - the group really interested in Olivia and likely to use it most - have trouble finding Olivia activity, how much activity do others find? Thus might be a nice idea to stick to the posted suggested frequencies. That's where I listened to when I got interested in Olivia - would seem like a good idea to bundle our activity there...?

                      When I read your account on where you've seen activity, it actually seems to come pretty close to what is posted on the homepage of this very newsgroup and on the hflink Olivia website:

                      Olivia 500
                      40 meters: 7026.25, 7043.25, 7073.25
                      > I hear most non-psk digital activity just above the psk on 40m
                      >(7036) with some up on 7071, 7072 especially in the mornings.

                      30 meters: 10139.25, 10142.25, 10143.25
                      20 meters: 14075.4, 14078.4, 14074.4
                      > Likewise on 20m but it's usually a couple of kHz higher
                      > (14073 or 74)

                      Olivia 1000:
                      14105.5, 14106.5
                      >with the wideband Olivia up on the 14105, 106 channels.

                      How about we follow your suggestion on calling more CQ and also try to stick more to the posted frequencies of our newsgroup? Might keep us from interfering with our modes/users (which we may not hear since they skip over us, but might interfere with someone elses reception...? Just the same as we always as "Is this frequency clear?".)

                      Just a thought.

                      vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
                    • VE3FMC
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                        I have worked most of my Olivia contacts on 7.072.5 over the past few years. As I said I rarely see any signals there.
                        Someone mentioned the summer band conditions, atmospheric noise. Well IMO Olivia is the CHAMP when it comes to cutting through noisy band conditions.
                        73, Rick VE3FMC
                        I am now on 7.072.5 calling CQ :)

                        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "kd0jkm" <kd0jkm@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Ken,
                        >
                        > I like your take on this. Wasn't my intention to splinter activity. Just seems that when we here - the group really interested in Olivia and likely to use it most - have trouble finding Olivia activity, how much activity do others find? Thus might be a nice idea to stick to the posted suggested frequencies. That's where I listened to when I got interested in Olivia - would seem like a good idea to bundle our activity there...?
                        >
                        > When I read your account on where you've seen activity, it actually seems to come pretty close to what is posted on the homepage of this very newsgroup and on the hflink Olivia website:
                        >
                        > Olivia 500
                        > 40 meters: 7026.25, 7043.25, 7073.25
                        > > I hear most non-psk digital activity just above the psk on 40m
                        > >(7036) with some up on 7071, 7072 especially in the mornings.
                        >
                        > 30 meters: 10139.25, 10142.25, 10143.25
                        > 20 meters: 14075.4, 14078.4, 14074.4
                        > > Likewise on 20m but it's usually a couple of kHz higher
                        > > (14073 or 74)
                        >
                        > Olivia 1000:
                        > 14105.5, 14106.5
                        > >with the wideband Olivia up on the 14105, 106 channels.
                        >
                        > How about we follow your suggestion on calling more CQ and also try to stick more to the posted frequencies of our newsgroup? Might keep us from interfering with our modes/users (which we may not hear since they skip over us, but might interfere with someone elses reception...? Just the same as we always as "Is this frequency clear?".)
                        >
                        > Just a thought.
                        >
                        > vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM

                      • Gary
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                          Make sure you keep an eye on:
                          http://hamspots.net/olivia/
                          also post there, so we can find out who is where!
                          73
                          Gary WD9DUI

                          --- In mailto:oliviadata%40yahoogroups.com, "kd0jkm" <kd0jkm@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Ken,

                          like your take on this. Wasn't my intention to splinter activity. Just seems that when we here - the group really interested in Olivia and likely to use it most - have trouble finding Olivia activity, how much activity do others find? Thus might be a nice idea to stick to the posted suggested frequencies. That's where I listened to when I got interested in Olivia - would seem like a good idea to bundle our activity there...?

                          > When I read your account
                          on where you've seen activity, it actually seems to come pretty close to what is posted on the homepage of this very newsgroup and on the hflink Olivia website:

                          > Olivia 500
                          > 40 meters: 7026.25, 7043.25,
                          7073.25
                          > > I hear most non-psk digital activity just above the psk on
                          40m
                          > >(7036) with some up on 7071, 7072 especially in the mornings.
                          >
                          > 30 meters: 10139.25, 10142.25, 10143.25
                          > 20 meters:
                          14075.4, 14078.4, 14074.4
                          > > Likewise on 20m but it's usually a couple
                          of kHz higher
                          > > (14073 or 74)
                          >
                          > Olivia 1000:

                          14105.5, 14106.5
                          > >with the wideband Olivia up on the 14105, 106
                          channels.

                          > How about we follow your suggestion on calling more
                          CQ and also try to stick more to the posted frequencies of our newsgroup? Might keep us from interfering with our modes/users (which we may not hear since they skip over us, but might interfere with someone elses reception...? Just the same as we always as "Is this frequency clear?".)

                          > Just a
                          thought.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                            On Jun 3, 2012, at 6:48 PM, VE3FMC wrote:

                            > Someone mentioned the summer band conditions, atmospheric noise. Well IMO Olivia is the CHAMP when it comes to cutting through noisy band conditions.

                            Have you actually compared Olivia to MT-63-500? From what I have heard, it's frequency and time diversity might handle static very well. I've been meaning to give it a try some time when we have a nearby thunderstorm.

                            73,
                            Ken WA8JXM
                          • Keith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012
                              I just pick a band and get on upper edge of psk31 traffic and call CQ usually get a response, eventually. Like it was done to me, I sometimes introduce someone to their first Olivia mode qso this way by hanging on the upper edges like that. Comment, if none of us call CQ and just listen for someone else, then contacts are going to be few and far between. I check hampspots frequently, too. Got a nice Italian station yesterday on 14.073 16/500. He was calling cq and not getting a reply. I see Gary, WD9DUI, more than anyone else on Olivia.
                              enjoy
                              73
                              KT4EP
                            • Gary L. Robinson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 5, 2012

                                Amen!!

                                I have had OVER 2,500 Olivia QSO's since late 2007 and over 89pct by calling CQ -- NOT by listening and after NOT hearing any Olivia signals just turn the rig off or go to another mode.

                                I realize some hams don't like to put out CQ's. But.... That's the way to have many many QSO'S on this mode. I seldom have to put out more than a few CQ'S on 20mtrs unless condx are real GOOD. If condx are real good it often takes a few more CQ'S but if they are BAD it is often easier since the other modes can't get through at all!

                                And I think the HFLink Olivia bandplan is mostly inadequate. I usually hang out above the PSKERS. And try and avoid the ever encroaching JT65A "largely" attended semi automatic operation.

                                Gary WB8ROL