Why am I not hearing anyone?

  • whichwaytobeach
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 19, 2012
      Hello Folks,

      This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?

      Regards, Marc
    • Jaak Hohensee
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
        Marc, Contestia in many cases better choice http://contestia.blogspot.com/

        73, Jaak
        es1hj

        20.02.2012 9:03, whichwaytobeach kirjutas:

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
          Hi Marc,

          This is a general problem - lack of activity in any modes other than
          PSK31, PSK63, JT65a and ROS.

          Your best bet is 20m: 14.105-6, 14.106-7 and 14.107-8 in Olivia 32/1000.
          There is some activity from Eu and Oceania. On other frequencies you
          must be very lucky to have your CQ answered, be it in Olivia or
          Contestia (or any other mode than the above ones for that matter). May
          be an idea is to arrange a changeover to Olivia, if you meet someone in
          PSK31. This might just show them the superiority of Olivia over PSK31.
          You can also try to set the RS-id for RX and TX (this does not work with
          MixW, use fldigi or Multipsk for that).

          Would you like a sked in Olivia? 10m would be ideal, it is open to the
          USA during our local morning here (say 2300 or 0000 UTC)?

          BTW under weak signal conditions Olivia 32/1000 is noticeably superior
          to Contestia 32/1000 and even marginally superior to Contestia 64/1000.

          --
          73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com
        • John Goodwin
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
            Hi

            Check ou t http://hamspots.net/olivia/ for current users on the air. You can also post short messages or yourself.

            73
            John VE1CDD

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
              On Feb 20, 2012, at 2:03 AM, whichwaytobeach wrote:

              > This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?

              The certain times and hours is "whenever someone else is on". It's hit and miss although this weekend with the DX contest was maybe not the ideal time.

              Also, the frequencies are NOT fixed channels. You have to tune around. Are you using those frequencies as "dial" or center of signal frequencies? 7042.5 sounds high if it is a dial frequency.

              If you want a contact, call CQ. Nothing happens if everyone just listens for someone else to call.

              As for the suggestion to use Contestia, well I much prefer Contestia (or Thor) because it's faster, but there seems to be more Olivia signals on the air.

              73,
              Ken WA8JXM
            • Keith Barton
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                at 1400utc, I'm listening to 14.107.50 olivia 32/1000 hearing two European hams as advised by hamspots

                posted I am on 14.105.5 and wb0kgn is answering me

                it works !!

                Keith
                KT4EP
              • whichwaytobeach
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Folks,
                  >
                  > This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?
                  >
                  > Regards, Marc

                  Thanks folks, I try throwing out CQs again later today on 20M. 40M, I guess is dead over here last night and this morning.

                  Thanks again for the HamSpots URL, a very nice thing to use. I am wondering, I see multiple shift frequencies used, just for CQ: 32/1000, 16/500, and 8/500: are all equally legible if I was on, my 16/500?

                  Regards,

                  Marc
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                    On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:08 AM, whichwaytobeach wrote:

                    > Thanks folks, I try throwing out CQs again later today on 20M. 40M, I guess is dead over here last night and this morning.

                    Activity may have been down because of the DX contest, a lot of people exhaust themselves on that and then close up shop. Non contesters may just avoid operating the entire weekend ;-) Also, band conditions were less than optimum over the weekend.

                    > Thanks again for the HamSpots URL, a very nice thing to use. I am wondering, I see multiple shift frequencies used, just for CQ: 32/1000, 16/500, and 8/500: are all equally legible if I was on, my 16/500?

                    If your software has the RXID option, be sure to turn it on! Also make sure to turn on your TXid when calling CQ, it makes it a lot easier for people to figure out your signal.

                    If you are set to receive one mode, it will not recognize another shift/data bits mode unless your RXid is operational.

                    Your waterfall should show you the approximate bandwidth (1000, 500, 250). Some experienced people can figure out the data bits, sometimes. But RXid is much better.

                    AFAIK, the 14105/6 frequencies are pretty much the wider modes (500/1000). I've found the narrower modes down around 14.075 +/- although you have to compete with JT-65 and other modes.

                    The charts make it look like everyone operates on standardized channels. But 1) not everyone reads the charts and 2) sometimes you have to tune inbetween other signals on the band. The charts are just starting points, not absolutes IMO.

                    73,
                    Ken WA8JXM
                  • Keith
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                      Excellent advice, Ken. I tend to find other activities when there's a contest going on. As fairly new to Olivia & Contestia, slow compared to psk31, but way more relaxed. And like fishing.. patience is required.

                      I didn't have RSID turned on... do now.
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                        On Feb 20, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Keith wrote:

                        > As fairly new to Olivia & Contestia, slow compared to psk31, but way more relaxed.

                        Contestia 8/250 is 30 wpm, 4/250 is 40 wpm. Personally I like 4/250 Contestia or Thor. Thor and MT63-500 are up in the 60 wpm range. Dominio EX8 also runs at a good clip.

                        I had one contact on MT63-1000, that's 100 wpm! That was interesting. I had to hustle and keep the type ahead buffer working hard :-)

                        Ken WA8JXM
                      • Ross Biggar
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                          There was Olivia on 14.107.5, try ther.

                          Regards
                          Ross
                          ZL1WN
                        • whichwaytobeach
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

                            > On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:08 AM, whichwaytobeach wrote:
                            >
                            > > Thanks folks, I try throwing out CQs again later today on 20M. 40M, I guess is dead over here last night and this morning.
                            >
                            > Activity may have been down because of the DX contest, a lot of people exhaust themselves on that and then close up shop. Non contesters may just avoid operating the entire weekend ;-) Also, band conditions were less than optimum over the weekend.
                            >

                            > > Thanks again for the HamSpots URL, a very nice thing to use. I am wondering, I see multiple shift frequencies used, just for CQ: 32/1000, 16/500, and 8/500: are all equally legible if I was on, my 16/500?
                            >

                            > If your software has the RXID option, be sure to turn it on! Also make sure to turn on your TXid when calling CQ, it makes it a lot easier for people to figure out your signal.
                            >
                            > If you are set to receive one mode, it will not recognize another shift/data bits mode unless your RXid is operational.
                            >
                            > Your waterfall should show you the approximate bandwidth (1000, 500, 250). Some experienced people can figure out the data bits, sometimes. But RXid is much better.
                            >
                            > AFAIK, the 14105/6 frequencies are pretty much the wider modes (500/1000). I've found the narrower modes down around 14.075 +/- although you have to compete with JT-65 and other modes.
                            >
                            > The charts make it look like everyone operates on standardized channels. But 1) not everyone reads the charts and 2) sometimes you have to tune inbetween other signals on the band. The charts are just starting points, not absolutes IMO.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Ken WA8JXM

                            Thanks, Ken. I will try another time period because of the contest/folks burned out from the contest. MixW2 does not appear to have RX/TXID, at least I cannot find it mentioned in the pull-downs. Regards, Marc
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                              On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:23 PM, whichwaytobeach wrote:

                              > MixW2 does not appear to have RX/TXID, at least I cannot find it mentioned in the pull-downs.

                              Ouch! If that is true, then that puts it at a severe disadvantage for new users IMO.

                              For those not familiar with TXid/RXid, it sends a series of tones at the start of each transmission that identifies the mode, at least for most of the common digital modes.

                              I highly recommend fldigi, it runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX and it's free.

                              Ken
                            • whichwaytobeach
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 20, 2012
                                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@...> wrote:

                                > On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:23 PM, whichwaytobeach wrote:
                                >
                                > > MixW2 does not appear to have RX/TXID, at least I cannot find it mentioned in the pull-downs.
                                >
                                > Ouch! If that is true, then that puts it at a severe disadvantage for new users IMO.
                                >
                                > For those not familiar with TXid/RXid, it sends a series of tones at the start of each transmission that identifies the mode, at least for most of the common digital modes.
                                >
                                > I highly recommend fldigi, it runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX and it's free.
                                >
                                > Ken

                                I have tried fldigi and MixW, I cannot now get them to work. I was able to transmit CQs on MixW, but not anymore, and fldigi is not working for me. I think what I will do, when I have time over the next several months, is to make a YouTube video, showing my set-up, and simply ask for help. I DID hear several Olivia signals on 20M today. That made me happy, at least...Regards, Marc
                              • g0dor
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 21, 2012
                                  Hi guys.

                                  Assuming your RX is working :)

                                  Not sure what activity there is elsewhere but here in Europe we have 20m data all day. If your in any doubt about whats available then why not use a remote reciever to have a listen.

                                  I use Global Tuners http://www.globaltuners.com/ for this.

                                  Use MixW to decode the audio. In Windows 7 this can be fiddly but it does work.

                                  Once you have a 'remote' station heard, set the TX to try to wwork it. Or maybe just monitor your own TX ?

                                  There are recievers scattered all over so every geeographic area has some listening 24/7.

                                  Regards - Phil

                                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:23 PM, whichwaytobeach wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > MixW2 does not appear to have RX/TXID, at least I cannot find it mentioned in the pull-downs.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ouch! If that is true, then that puts it at a severe disadvantage for new users IMO.
                                  > >
                                  > > For those not familiar with TXid/RXid, it sends a series of tones at the start of each transmission that identifies the mode, at least for most of the common digital modes.
                                  > >
                                  > > I highly recommend fldigi, it runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX and it's free.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ken
                                  > >

                                  > I have tried fldigi and MixW, I cannot now get them to work. I was able to transmit CQs on MixW, but not anymore, and fldigi is not working for me. I think what I will do, when I have time over the next several months, is to make a YouTube video, showing my set-up, and simply ask for help. I DID hear several Olivia signals on 20M today. That made me happy, at least...Regards, Marc

                                • KEN GINN
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                    Hi all,

                                    although I can hear clearly and work stations on a good number of  bands (30/20/17/15/10m), they tend to be mainly PSK. So I know my installation is working. Very very few Olivia (sadly). When I do hear Olivia stations calling CQ they do not generally have their RSID switched on, so it takes a time to tune in right on frequency. When you do tune in, the station has given up hope calling CQ. All I can ask is when calling CQ switch on the RSID.

                                    73 Ken G8NDL

                                    Not sure what activity there is elsewhere but here in Europe we have 20m data all day. If your in any doubt about whats available then why not use a remote reciever to have a listen.

                                    I use Global Tuners http://www.globaltuners.com/ for this.

                                    Use MixW to decode the audio. In Windows 7 this can be fiddly but it does work.

                                    Once you have a 'remote' station heard, set the TX to try to wwork it. Or maybe just monitor your own TX ?

                                    There are recievers scattered all over so every geeographic area has some listening 24/7.

                                    Regards - Phil

                                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ken Meinken <ken.meinken@> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:23 PM, whichwaytobeach wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > MixW2 does not appear to have RX/TXID, at least I cannot find it mentioned in the pull-downs.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ouch! If that is true, then that puts it at a severe disadvantage for new users IMO.
                                    > >
                                    > > For those not familiar with TXid/RXid, it sends a series of tones at the start of each transmission that identifies the mode, at least for most of the common digital modes.
                                    > >
                                    > > I highly recommend fldigi, it runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX and it's free.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ken
                                    > >

                                    > I have tried fldigi and MixW, I cannot now get them to work. I was able to transmit CQs on MixW, but not anymore, and fldigi is not working for me. I think what I will do, when I have time over the next several months, is to make a YouTube video, showing my set-up, and simply ask for help. I DID hear several Olivia signals on 20M today. That made me happy, at least...Regards, Marc

                                  • John Yoga
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                      Sigh...

                                      I don't hear any Olivia here in San Diego, on either 40 or 20M. I tried, out of frustration, PSK31 last night, and was sickened by the canned QSOs I went through. A pinch understandable if they were foreign language folks, but these were all Americans! Enough of that mode. Sooo, I had some nice CW contacts on the bottom end of 40...

                                      Regards,

                                      Marc, KA3DNR

                                      To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: ken.ginn@...
                                      Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:56:44 +0000
                                      Subject: Re: [olivia] Re: Why am I not hearing anyone?

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012

                                        On Feb 22, 2012, at 11:39 AM, John Yoga wrote:

                                        I don't hear any Olivia here in San Diego, on either 40 or 20M. I tried, out of frustration, PSK31 last night, and was sickened by the canned QSOs I went through. A pinch understandable if they were foreign language folks, but these were all Americans! Enough of that mode. Sooo, I had some nice CW contacts on the bottom end of 40...

                                        You didn't HEAR any Olivia....did you try calling CQ, or do you leave that to someone else to do?

                                        Usually if you call for 20-30 minutes, someone will answer.

                                        I think one of the reasons the canned macros are so popular for PSK is that it makes it easy for people who can't type.  Olivia is easier for people who can only type slowly.   8/250 and 16/500 Olivia drive me crazy, they are so slow, but of course that fits the needs for other people.

                                        Ken WA8JXM
                                      • John Yoga
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                          Hello Ken,

                                          I called CQ, also, for about a 1/2 hour on both 20M and 40M yesterday, across different frequencies. I will try again from time to time. I am familiar with the sounds as I have heard the mp3 clips.

                                          Thanks,

                                          Marc

                                          To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                            Marc and others,

                                            I was testing/CQ'ing on 14.074.6, 750Hz, 10W, with RFID tag, last night in Hawaii, ~0630 UT . No Olivia heard, but I did hear another mode I could not decode after numerous attempts. Looked and sounded like MFSK4 or Domino4. I have heard it other nights. Maybe it is JT65 which HRD and fldigi doesn't do? I don't know what JT65 sounds like.

                                            I will be contining a similar routine thru the weekend, family responsiblities allowing. Also I do DX spots.

                                            73, WH7TW, Steve

                                            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello Folks,
                                            >
                                            > This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?
                                            >
                                            > Regards, Marc

                                          • John Yoga
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                              Hello Steve, et al.,

                                              Yes, I heard another mode, too, but could not get the programs I run to determine what it was.

                                              I will throw out a CQ over a half hour duration now (23:30 - Zero Zulu), around that same frequency.

                                              Regards, Marc

                                              To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: wh7tw@...
                                              Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:50:38 +0000

                                              Marc and others,

                                              I was testing/CQ'ing on 14.074.6, 750Hz, 10W, with RFID tag, last night in Hawaii, ~0630 UT . No Olivia heard, but I did hear another mode I could not decode after numerous attempts. Looked and sounded like MFSK4 or Domino4. I have heard it other nights. Maybe it is JT65 which HRD and fldigi doesn't do? I don't know what JT65 sounds like.

                                              I will be contining a similar routine thru the weekend, family responsiblities allowing. Also I do DX spots.

                                              73, WH7TW, Steve

                                              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                                              > Hello Folks,
                                              >
                                              > This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?
                                              >
                                              > Regards, Marc

                                            • John Yoga
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 22, 2012
                                                Thanks, Terry...

                                                Terry was in my noise, but yet the "print" was ~80% correct. Pretty cool.

                                                Regards,

                                                Marc

                                                To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com

                                                From: wh7tw@...
                                                Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:50:38 +0000

                                                Marc and others,

                                                I was testing/CQ'ing on 14.074.6, 750Hz, 10W, with RFID tag, last night in Hawaii, ~0630 UT . No Olivia heard, but I did hear another mode I could not decode after numerous attempts. Looked and sounded like MFSK4 or Domino4. I have heard it other nights. Maybe it is JT65 which HRD and fldigi doesn't do? I don't know what JT65 sounds like.

                                                I will be contining a similar routine thru the weekend, family responsiblities allowing. Also I do DX spots.

                                                73, WH7TW, Steve

                                                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

                                                > Hello Folks,
                                                >
                                                > This is probably too early to say this, but, I don't hear anyone on Olivia, either on 14.074.65 & 7.042.50, spending off and on an hour or so, on each. I did hear a heap on PSK31 on both bands... Are there certain local hours/times of the week where this mode picks up?
                                                >
                                                > Regards, Marc

                                              • Keith
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 23, 2012
                                                  Use http://hamspots.net maybe? I'll look for you. I was on last night 20, 30, 40, and 80 off & on, but was testing my new signalink box with my old Yaesu FT840, so wasn't anchored on one frequency for long.

                                                  As we know, psk31 is more active and ditto jt65 it seems, don't give up! We're out there.
                                                  Keith
                                                  KT4EP