Re: [olivia] Where do I start with Olivia?

  • Ian Wade G3NRW
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
      From: "Ryan, KB8RCR" <kb8rcr@...>
      Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 Time: 12:22:15

      >Now, if I could just locate a good chart showing where Olivia activity
      >occurs throughout the HF bands, I would be happy.

      Ryan,

      This may make you (partly) happy: the 30m Band Utilization Chart:

      Ian, G3NRW

      The 30m Band Utilization Chart:
    • Brian Morrison
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
        On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:22:15 -0500
        "Ryan, KB8RCR" <kb8rcr@...> wrote:

        > Now, if I could just locate a good chart showing where Olivia activity occurs throughout the HF bands, I would be happy.

        Have a look here:

        http://hflink.com/olivia/#freqs

        --

        Brian Morrison G8SEZ
      • whichwaytobeach
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:22:15 -0500
          > "Ryan, KB8RCR" <kb8rcr@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Now, if I could just locate a good chart showing where Olivia activity occurs throughout the HF bands, I would be happy.
          >
          > Have a look here:
          >
          > http://hflink.com/olivia/#freqs
          >
          > --
          >
          > Brian Morrison G8SEZ

          Thank you everyone. I was thinking of a slightly different question than above: Is there an activity URL that shows current Olivia activity and on which bands? Like a spotting URL... Marc
        • Mike Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
            Hi Marc,

            I'm no expert on Olivia and don't use it very often. I'm sure
            someone will chime in with frequently used frequencies, but I'd
            look just above the PSK water holes if all else fails.

            My favorite free software for digi modes is FLDigi.
            <http://www.w1hkj.com/index.htm>
            <http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html>

            Multipsk will also do Olivia and many other modes and is 98%
            free. There are a couple modes that require a paid registration,
            but most are free.
            <http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm>

            One of the most popular is Ham Radio Deluxe/DM780 which is
            available free, but is going commercial at sometime in the
            future. It requires a fast modern computer with XP or later to
            run, but does most everything but the laundry and dishes.
            <http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/>

            73
            Mike kc9doa

            On 6 Feb 2012 at 7:01, whichwaytobeach wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > Can you direct me to free software that enables the use of the
            > Olivia mode? Is there a band where it is most popular, and,
            > what is that frequency?
            >
            > I have used PSK31 in the distant past, but really got tired of
            > the macro messages, and, really I didn't see it any better in
            > weak signal transmission than CW. CW is very fun, but wanted to
            > try a mode that bests it for weak signal work.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Marc
            > KA3DNR

            > To stop email, send an email to:
            > oliviadata-nomail@yahoogroups.com

          • Brian Morrison
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
              On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:20:17 -0000
              "whichwaytobeach" <whichwaytobeach@...> wrote:

              > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:22:15 -0500
              > > "Ryan, KB8RCR" <kb8rcr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Now, if I could just locate a good chart showing where Olivia activity occurs throughout the HF bands, I would be happy.
              > >
              > > Have a look here:
              > >
              > > http://hflink.com/olivia/#freqs
              > >

              > Thank you everyone. I was thinking of a slightly different question than above: Is there an activity URL that shows current Olivia activity and on which bands? Like a spotting URL... Marc

              You could try here, but it may not be up to the minute:

              http://hamspots.net/olivia/#

              The problem is, the automatic spots rely on people leaving the program
              running and listening to Olivia and uploading spots automatically and
              also manually entering things they hear. Not many people do this a lot,
              as it isn't always easy to remember to do the manual thing and the auto
              spots won't happen if you change mode and frequency.

              --

              Brian Morrison G8SEZ
            • af6it
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2012
                Marc,

                Don't overlook Olivia's younger sister Contestia. Works much the same, just faster or narrower at the expense of a slight bit less sensitivity. You would use it anywhere Olivia is used, and they even sound alike. It is considered "Olivia lite" since it is a derivative. I use it when conditions don't quite demand full Olivia. Contestia still remains much better than PSK when conditions get grungy. Contestia is also found in the very excellent (but free) FlDigi among others.

                Stu AF6IT