60 meter band changes

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2011
      I did a quick read through and did not necessarily see anything written in concrete OR in intent that prohibited ragchews. It seemed to me the intent was to keep individual transmissions relatively short BUT they declined to limit these transmissions to a specific time value.

      I see nothing that frightens me from having a "mini ragchew" as long as I don't interfere with anyone, follow all the specific rules, and keep individual transmissions reasonably short.

      I could see using, perhaps, Olivia 8/1000, 16/1000 or 8/500 and doing this without going over 2-3 minutes per transmission and monitoring the frequency between those transmissions.

      As I said, I did a QUICK read - BUT I definitely remember seeing that the F.C.C. DID decline to put a time limit on individual transmissions.

      Of course it appears they did limit each channel to effectively one signal at a time BUT that DOES make sense since it is a shared band and we hams are secondary users. If you had 15 PSKers (or other modes) all chatting away - say on channel 2 - how long would it take to clear the 2.8khz channel IF a primary user needed to use it? A lot longer than it would take ONE user (and whoever he is talking to) to figure it out and cease transmitting for sure.

      It's not a perfect or ideal situation but it still can perhaps be worth using some.

      At my location, S.W. Ohio I don't hear all 5 channels being overly used most of the time but maybe in some areas that could be the case.

      Just hope the ARRL doesn't sponser 25 contests a year on it. After writing that last sentence - trying to be primarily humorous I realize it might not be so funny after all .....

      ---Gary WB8ROL
    • W2XJ

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2011
          Well, even if we yet cannot use Olivia on 60 meters, I'm enjoying it on
          the other bands. Right now, in QSO on 20m (14.07221 Dial frequency, USB,
          750 Hz waterfall center). I sure love this mode for general QSO. The
          other station is fading deeply, and with Sync set to 8 (in DM780) I am
          still getting 100% print.

          Tomas David Hood
          Hamilton, Montana

          <http://nw7us.us/>

          Contributing editor, Propagation Columns:
          CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
          <http://sunspotwatch.com/>

          Facebook:
          <http://www.facebook.com/spacewx.hfradio>
          <http://www.facebook.com/NW7US>

          Twitter Space WX : @hfradiospacewx
          Twitter NW7US : @NW7US

          Linux User #32405 - Since 1996
          ..
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2011
            I agree Thomas. Lately I have been making a ton of contacts on Olivia on virtually all bands except 60 and 6mtrs. And I don't have a 6mtr antenna right now or I suspect I could make some more on that band too.
            I think the new rule making DOES allow use of Olivia on 60mtrs BUT it is NOT worth arguing about. It will all be clarified long before the rule making takes effect AND THEN we will all know for certain what the deal is hihi

            ---Gary WB8ROL