New Windows interface for Olivia

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2005
      F6CTE now has Olivia in MULTIPSK - ver 3.8, see:

      Jerry K0HZI
    • swl0720
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
        Works ok too but how do you change tx/rx parameters? The help files
        are very vague...
        Rich K2TFT

        In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <k0hzi@c...> wrote:
        > F6CTE now has Olivia in MULTIPSK - ver 3.8, see:
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Jerry K0HZI
      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "swl0720" <k2tft@n...> wrote:
          Works ok too but how do you change tx/rx parameters? The help files
          are very vague...
          Rich K2TFT

          Rich,
          Here are a few messages from MFSK Yahoo groups, for now the tx/rx
          parameters can not be changed if I read Renzo's email correctly.

          "Jerry (K0HZI) wrote:
          --- In MFSK@yahoogroups.com, Ron Walters <rwalters8@c...> wrote:
          It looks like the setup for Olivia on allows 32-1000-Long Interleave
          which is ok for 20 meters and up, however 16-500-short appears not
          tobe available at this time, am I correct?

          Ron W4LDE

          Ron,
          Correct on MULTIPSK only the 32-1000 seems to be there. Possibly if
          enough users ask Patrick if he can also add 250 Hz, 500 Hz and 8 and
          16 Short Interleave to MULTIPSK.

          Author of MULTIPSK - F6CTE E-Mail: f6cte@...

          73,
          Jerry K0HZI"

          i6kzr Renzo wrote:
          Hi Jerry,
          I agree, in my message I have quoted Patrick infos "code/decode the
          OLIVIA Default mode"!

          This is the Multipsk description:

          Description of the OLIVIA DF ("DeFault mode")
          Creator : Pawel Jalocha SP9VRC in 2005

          Baud rate : 31.25
          Speed : 2.44 characters/sec so 24 wpm
          Modulation : FSK 32 tones (5 bits arranged in a Gray form), with a
          shift between
          tones of 31.25 Hz (1000 Hz bandwidth). A block is composed of 64
          symbols of 5 bits
          (in other words it is a matrix of 64 columns (following the time) on 5
          lines). Each
          of the 5 block lines of this block corresponds to a character which
          has been encoded,
          on a 64 bits vector, using a Walsh-Hadamard transform to provide a
          high level of
          redundancy.
          Reception mode: sensible to the side (USB or LSB), USB is recommended
          Shape of pulse : specific shape (between a Hanning window and a
          rectangular window)
          Character set : ASCII 7 bits (128 characters)
          Bandwidth : 1000 Hz
          Synchronization : automatic using the signal
          Correction code: no
          Convolution code: no
          Interleaving : yes, spreading of 5 bits "vertically" in the block,
          Scrambling : yes, with a 64 bits sequence applied on each line of the
          block but with
          a delay of 13 bits between two successive lines.
          Drift tolerance: 30 Hz/mn
          Pmean/Ppeak : 0.76
          Lowest S/N : - 12 dB

          Note: it exists 39 other Olivia modes (not decoded by Multipsk), from
          8 to 256 tones
          and from 125 to 2000 Hz of bandwidth. All are conceived in the same way.

          73, i6kzr Renzo"

          Jerry K0HZI
        • Dave Hassler
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
            Hey guys. I also read that MultiPSK is programmed with the
            original "default" 32/1000 only. While probably not a good idea
            on 40m, still should be no problem on 80m in the 3580-90 kc area.
            Hopefully, I can get it installed before Friday -- goodbye VOX!
            <sigh...still using Win98....>

            73, Dave - K7CCC
            DN15

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hassler <k7ccc@y...> wrote:
              Hey guys. I also read that MultiPSK is programmed with the
              original "default" 32/1000 only. While probably not a good idea
              on 40m, still should be no problem on 80m in the 3580-90 kc area.
              Hopefully, I can get it installed before Friday -- goodbye VOX!
              <sigh...still using Win98....>

              73, Dave - K7CCC
              DN15

              Watch for updates to MULTIPSK, Patrick is going to add two more
              "speeds" for Olivia making three in all. Thin the two Patrick will be
              adding are:

              Quote from a request I sent to Patrick, his answer.

              "RR for all. I agree that to be able to compare Domino with MFSK16
              would be a good thing. In the other hand, modes below 12 wpm are not
              chat modes and, for instance, I don't want to add very slow modes
              (because I'm not sure which is the best). And I don't want add modes
              with bandwith of 2 KHz (too large).

              MFSK8 is 26 wpm which is about the speed of the Olivia default mode
              and can be compared.
              To obtain the 42 wpm of MFSK16, the only solution is: 16 tones on 1000
              Hz at 62,5 bauds.
              The only slow reasonable mode is the 12 wpm mode: 32 tones on 500 Hz
              at 15.625 Hz.

              So I'm going to add these 2 modes (a slow and a fast), which will
              make 3.

              73,
              Patrick"

              Might want to watch on:

              Jerry K0HZI
            • Steve Friis
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                You really should look into Harv's Ham Hack.

                (shameless Linux Plug!)

                WM5Z

                Dave Hassler wrote:

                > <sigh...still using Win98....>
                >
                > 73, Dave - K7CCC

              • Dave Hassler
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                  Hi Steve. yeah, I have the Hack CD (Harv's sent me two!), but
                  what I REALLY need is a new shack computer. The Hack requires an
                  SVGA card, and I only have a VGA card in my old Frankenstein
                  chop-job 200 MHz machine.... gMFSK slides off the screen!

                  Catch you on Olivia agn soon.

                  73, Dave

                  --- Steve Friis <wm5z@...> wrote:

                  > You really should look into Harv's Ham Hack.
                  >
                  > (shameless Linux Plug!)
                  >
                  > WM5Z
                  >

                  > Dave Hassler wrote:
                  >

                  > > <sigh...still using Win98....>
                  > >
                  > > 73, Dave - K7CCC

                  Yahoo! Sports
                  http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                • Steve Friis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                    Dang! I just through away some old PC parts!!! I'd of sent you one. What
                    I do have is an old 1 Ghz laptop that I can ship you (Free for the
                    shipping) but it has a bad LCD screen. Has 256 MB Mem, 40GB HD, CD RW,
                    sound card, NIC and floppy drive. You want it? You will need to hook up
                    either an external monitor or a TV to it. Does have TV out.

                    505.526.3570

                    Steve/WM5Z

                    Dave Hassler wrote:

                    > Hi Steve. yeah, I have the Hack CD (Harv's sent me two!), but
                    > what I REALLY need is a new shack computer. The Hack requires an
                    > SVGA card, and I only have a VGA card in my old Frankenstein
                    > chop-job 200 MHz machine.... gMFSK slides off the screen!
                    >
                    > Catch you on Olivia agn soon.
                    >
                    > 73, Dave
                    >
                    > --- Steve Friis <wm5z@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > You really should look into Harv's Ham Hack.
                    > >
                    > > (shameless Linux Plug!)
                    > >
                    > > WM5Z
                    > >

                    > > Dave Hassler wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > <sigh...still using Win98....>
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, Dave - K7CCC

                    > Yahoo! Sports
                    >

                    > The ARRL now lists Olivia as a "valid" digital mode for
                    > US hams. Go to the ARRL site for more information.
                    > http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/

                  • Les Keppie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                      Hi All
                      If you want to try an interesting experiment - try this
                      Load up Multipsk - set for Olivia and have it decode a weaker type signal
                      about sn -16 or so as displayed by the Multipsk programme
                      Then load up Olivia aid and watch them both decode the signal
                      You will need to use an OS that will share sound card resources
                      so that you can have both running at the same time on the same computer
                      Les vk2dsg

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                        Hi Steve. Wow, that'd be great! I have a compaq monitor hooked
                        up to the Frankenstein, and that would work great. Then I can
                        find out what you all are hollering about this "Linus" stuff!
                        ;^)

                        Do you have a PayPal account? Send you a check? Let me know.

                        Address is good on QRZ.com (or the FCC database, for that matter)

                        VERY 73, Dave

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                          OK Dave. I will box it up and put it in UPS in the next couple of days.
                          I also will send you the CD's so you can reload the factory settings if
                          you so desire. I request you format the drive to wipe out the data. BTW,
                          the battery is in very good shape. The charger will also be included, of
                          coarse.

                          If you can, email direct off this reflector at <my call> at comcast dot net

                          Steve/WM5Z
                          DM62oh