Digital Modes But Not 5 Micro-Bands Re: FCC Changes 5MHz

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
      As I interpret the FCC's Report and Order, it
      appears that FCC does not intend for the new
      5MHz rules to provide 5 channels that become
      5 "Micro-Bands" with 20 or 30 PSK or CW signals
      stacked horizontally between each 2.8kHz channel edge.
      Please correct me if FCC has interpreted otherwise.

      However, FCC has provided some leeway for Phone,
      Data and RTTY modes to operate near the center of
      the 5MHz channels within the capabilities of normal
      digital modems and voice timbre tonalities, without
      fear of exact calibration errors, as long as the
      signal is kept within the rigid 2.8kHz channel.

      A particular indication of some flexibility is
      the detailed rule that spells out the permitted use
      of the -1.5kHz offset of the supressed carrier frequency
      for Phone, Data, and RTTY (instead of -1.4kHz or some
      other offset) from the center of channel frequency.

      Indeed, FCC has not specified any required
      frequency tolerances or accuracy for center of
      emissions being in the exact center of the channel.

      However, there is clearly intent for signals not
      to exceed 2.8kHz total bandwidth with reference
      to the center, and this seems more like a quite
      strict accuracy requirement.

      It also appears that much of the intent of these
      rules do not point toward long rag-chews and
      brag file sessions by a chorus of simultaneous PSK31
      stations, and probably not the long fluting of
      JT65 and WSPR signals constantly beaconing or
      striving for a reverse beacon somewhere.

      With the new rules in effect, hams in USA can now
      be better prepared to use the 5MHz channels
      for NVIS and regional traffic in Emergency
      Communications and Disaster Response.

      In the REPORT AND ORDER, the FCC adopted this language:

      "(h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band
      (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only
      on the five center frequencies specified in
      the table below. In order to meet this requirement,
      control operators of stations transmitting phone,
      data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators
      2K80J3E, 2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may
      set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center
      frequency as specified in the table below.
      For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A),
      the carrier frequency is set to the center frequency.
      Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions
      do not occupy more than 2.8 kHz centered on each
      of these center frequencies. "

      IMHO...
      Best Regards,
      Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
        Well at first I was excited about the new rules but as I read the restrictions and what they don't want on the band, it seems of no value and I'll probably just delete it from the memory settings on my rig. They don't want quick canned macros, they don't want CQs, they don't want ragchews. Sounds like it's best to just forget the channels.

        Thanks for the update.

        Ken
        WA8JXM

        On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:07 AM, expeditionradio wrote:

        > As I interpret the FCC's Report and Order, it
        > appears that FCC does not intend for the new
        > 5MHz rules to provide 5 channels that become
        > 5 "Micro-Bands" with 20 or 30 PSK or CW signals
        > stacked horizontally between each 2.8kHz channel edge.
        > Please correct me if FCC has interpreted otherwise.
      • W2XJ

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
            If you read paragraph 18 of the report, you see the FCC did draft a proposed set of rules which restricted the new modes specifically to CW, PSK31 and PACTOR-III, and circulated the proposal for comment. They received feedback from various commenters, and in paragraph 25 where they document their decision, they only say that PSK31 and PACTOR-III *exemplify* (ie. are examples of) emissions they correspond to the new designators.

            Further, in paragraph 28, the FCC says it agrees that restricting to just PSK31 and PACTOR-III will discourage development of newer more efficient techniques, so they will permit unspecified data codes, rather than restricting to PSK31 and PACTOR-III (as long as the mode is consistent with the emission designator, of course)

            So, it seems the intention is to drop the PSK31/PACTOR-III. It will be interesting to see how the rules finally end up.

            73, Matt VK2ACL