FCC Changes 5MHz to Allow Digi for USA Hams

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
      I will attempt to provide a basic overview of the
      changes and rules in plain language, as they apply to the
      Amateur Radio Service in USA. For more information
      about 5MHz and 60 meter band:
      http://hflink.com/5mhz

      Please see my synopsis attached below.

      Regards,
      Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA

      USA's Federal Communications Commission
      released a REPORT AND ORDER on November 18, 2011
      with new 5MHz rules for the Amateur Radio Service.
      The effective date: 30 days after publication in the Federal Register.

      The FCC adopted the use of the name "60 meter band",
      to refer to 5MHz amateur radio in the frequency
      range 5330.5-5406.4 kHz, but USA hams are still only
      allowed to transmit on 5 specific channels in the band.

      The FCC changed the rules to allow:
      Phone (Upper Sideband), RTTY, Data, and CW;
      with specific limitations on the use of these modes.

      Amateur radio is a "secondary user" in this band, and
      must not cause harmful interference to other services!
      Amateur Radio Service must accept interference from
      primary, other services, and other nations services.

      Operators transmitting data or RTTY must exercise care
      to limit the length of transmission so as to avoid
      causing harmful interference to US Government stations.

      New 60 meter band 5MHz Channel List:
      General, Advanced, or Amateur Extra Class license only.

      Suppressed
      Carrier
      VFO Dial freq
      5330.5 kHz USB (center of channel = 5332.0)
      5346.5 kHz USB (center of channel = 5348.0)
      5357.0 kHz USB (center of channel = 5358.5) New!
      5371.5 kHz USB (center of channel = 5373.0)
      5403.5 kHz USB (center of channel = 5405.0)

      Note: FCC deleted the channel at 5366.5 USB (center=5368.0)
      and "replaced" it with channel 5357.0 kHz USB (center=5358.5)

      The maximum allowed power level is now 100Watts PEP (ERP)
      effective radiated power referenced to a dipole.
      If another type of antenna is used, the station licensee
      must maintain a record of either the antenna manufacturer's
      data on the antenna gain or calculations of the antenna gain.

      Upper SideBand Phone, Data, or RTTY transmissions
      may use dial (VFO) USB suppressed carrier frequency
      at 1.5kHz below the center of the channel. See list above.

      Transmissions must not exceed the 2.8kHz bandwidth channel.
      RTTY modes such as PSK31 must not exceed 60Hz necessary
      bandwidth. Data modes must not exceed 2.8kHz bandwidth.
      CW bandwidth must not exceed 150Hz bandwidth and the CW
      frequency should be at the center of the channel.

      Data stations operating under section § 97.221
      automatically controlled digital station, are not
      allowed on these 5MHz channels.

      USA ops, please rely only upon the actual FCC rules.
      http://www.fcc.gov/document/amateur-radio-service-5-mhz

      Open to comments....

      Regards,
      Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA
    • expeditionradio
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
        As I interpret the FCC's Report and Order, it
        appears that FCC does not intend for the new
        5MHz rules to provide 5 channels that become
        5 "Micro-Bands" with 20 or 30 PSK or CW signals
        stacked horizontally between each 2.8kHz channel edge.
        Please correct me if FCC has interpreted otherwise.

        However, FCC has provided some leeway for Phone,
        Data and RTTY modes to operate near the center of
        the 5MHz channels within the capabilities of normal
        digital modems and voice timbre tonalities, without
        fear of exact calibration errors, as long as the
        signal is kept within the rigid 2.8kHz channel.

        A particular indication of some flexibility is
        the detailed rule that spells out the permitted use
        of the -1.5kHz offset of the supressed carrier frequency
        for Phone, Data, and RTTY (instead of -1.4kHz or some
        other offset) from the center of channel frequency.

        Indeed, FCC has not specified any required
        frequency tolerances or accuracy for center of
        emissions being in the exact center of the channel.

        However, there is clearly intent for signals not
        to exceed 2.8kHz total bandwidth with reference
        to the center, and this seems more like a quite
        strict accuracy requirement.

        It also appears that much of the intent of these
        rules do not point toward long rag-chews and
        brag file sessions by a chorus of simultaneous PSK31
        stations, and probably not the long fluting of
        JT65 and WSPR signals constantly beaconing or
        striving for a reverse beacon somewhere.

        With the new rules in effect, hams in USA can now
        be better prepared to use the 5MHz channels
        for NVIS and regional traffic in Emergency
        Communications and Disaster Response.

        In the REPORT AND ORDER, the FCC adopted this language:

        "(h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band
        (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only
        on the five center frequencies specified in
        the table below. In order to meet this requirement,
        control operators of stations transmitting phone,
        data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators
        2K80J3E, 2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may
        set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center
        frequency as specified in the table below.
        For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A),
        the carrier frequency is set to the center frequency.
        Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions
        do not occupy more than 2.8 kHz centered on each
        of these center frequencies. "

        IMHO...
        Best Regards,
        Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
          Well at first I was excited about the new rules but as I read the restrictions and what they don't want on the band, it seems of no value and I'll probably just delete it from the memory settings on my rig. They don't want quick canned macros, they don't want CQs, they don't want ragchews. Sounds like it's best to just forget the channels.

          Thanks for the update.

          Ken
          WA8JXM

          On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:07 AM, expeditionradio wrote:

          > As I interpret the FCC's Report and Order, it
          > appears that FCC does not intend for the new
          > 5MHz rules to provide 5 channels that become
          > 5 "Micro-Bands" with 20 or 30 PSK or CW signals
          > stacked horizontally between each 2.8kHz channel edge.
          > Please correct me if FCC has interpreted otherwise.
        • W2XJ

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2011
              If you read paragraph 18 of the report, you see the FCC did draft a proposed set of rules which restricted the new modes specifically to CW, PSK31 and PACTOR-III, and circulated the proposal for comment. They received feedback from various commenters, and in paragraph 25 where they document their decision, they only say that PSK31 and PACTOR-III *exemplify* (ie. are examples of) emissions they correspond to the new designators.

              Further, in paragraph 28, the FCC says it agrees that restricting to just PSK31 and PACTOR-III will discourage development of newer more efficient techniques, so they will permit unspecified data codes, rather than restricting to PSK31 and PACTOR-III (as long as the mode is consistent with the emission designator, of course)

              So, it seems the intention is to drop the PSK31/PACTOR-III. It will be interesting to see how the rules finally end up.

              73, Matt VK2ACL