Re: [olivia] Update 20m Olivia Freqs: HFLINK.COM/OLIVIA

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
      Of course it's a typo.

      People don't need a nanny to tell them which dial frequency and offset
      to use. Even worse, the nanny says offset=750 Hz, which might not be
      such a good idea, because the 1st audio harmonic is still within the
      passband and not every TRX is 100% linear...

      Simply put:
      Calling frequencies (centre): 14.0744, 754, 784.

      --
      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

      Bart Aronoff wrote:
      > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
      >
      > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
      > frequency.
      > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
      > this be?
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
      >
      > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
      >
      > > The Olivia frequency chart on
      > > http://hflink.com/olivia
      > >
      > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
      > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
      > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
      > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
      > >
      > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
      > > remains the same:
      > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
      > >
      > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
      > > remains the same:
      > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
      > >
      > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
      > > is added:
      > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
      > > HFLINK webmaster
    • jsodus
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
        Thanks, Bart, for your posting.
        I'm also new to Olivia and need a nanny. :)
        73 Jerry km3k

        Bart Aronoff wrote:
        > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
        >
        > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
        > frequency.
        > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
        > this be?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
        >
        > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
        >
        > > The Olivia frequency chart on
        > > http://hflink.com/olivia
        > >
        > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
        > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
        > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
        > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
        > >
        > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
        > > remains the same:
        > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
        > >
        > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
        > > remains the same:
        > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
        > >
        > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
        > > is added:
        > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
        > > HFLINK webmaster

        .

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • expeditionradio
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
          Thanks to all those who pointed out the
          typo error in one Olivia VFO frequency of the list.
          This has been corrected. The proper list is here:

          OLIVIA CALLING/ACTIVITY FREQS
          CENTER===VFO=====COMMON USE
          14074.4 14073.65 Alternate
          14075.4 14074.65 Primary
          14078.4 14077.65 Alternate

          The CENTER FREQUENCY is the most important!
          (popular digital mode softwares now use Center Freq)

          Early Olivia software used a fixed offset, brilliantly
          based upon the LOWEST TONE's BANDWIDTH of the Olivia
          transmit signal, to enable instant quick change
          between the different "flavors" of speeds and bandwidths
          (with lowest freq = 500Hz). See this image:

          http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia_flav.jpg

          By tradition, this original method of fixed offset
          is still used by many Olivia operators, so it is
          maintained as a legacy in the list as "VFO/Dial" frequency.

          At some point, the VFO/Dial column in the listing may be
          eliminated or replaced by some some better method.

          Regards,
          Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
          HFLINK webmaster

          > Bart Aronoff wrote:
          > > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
        • Jaak Hohensee
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2011
            1.10.2011 1:02, Gary L. Robinson kirjutas:
            > So who will push Olivia off this freq? At the rate JT65A and other
            > modes are spreading out the Olivia 20mtrs frequency will have to be
            > moved to channel 19 CB ...
            Does we need fixed ferquencies? Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
            and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
            Olivia 250/8 should be default for chat-ready cqing.

            Other consideration:
            Most of my JT65A QSO´s SNR better than -15dB. Contestia 250/32 (-18dB,
            12wpm) is at same range and to fix only one dx-channel per band. Of
            course 12wpm is slow, but not slower than JT65A.

            --
            73, Jaak
            es1hj
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
              Contestia is a good mode.
              But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
              that it turns off many possible users.

              And yes, I already know that it is intended to be
              a faster mode with easier use for contesting.

              Bonnie KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Jaak Hohensee <jaak.hohensee@...> wrote:
              > Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
              > and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
              > 73, Jaak
              > es1hj

            • Jaak Hohensee
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011

                8.10.2011 10:29, expeditionradio kirjutas:
                Contestia is a good mode.
                But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
                that it turns off many possible users.
                Yes. The Contestia is bad choise for mode name. Gary, WB8ROL write:  It can best be described as "Olivia LITE" and additional information is available elsewhere on this site.  It is already my 2nd favorite mode and has a little magic of it's own too! http://www.oliviamode.com/aboutme.htm
                OliviaLE (Light Edition) is better. Like DominoEX vrs Domino. How to originate the renaming?

                --
                73, Jaak
                es1hj