Re: [olivia] Update 20m Olivia Freqs: HFLINK.COM/OLIVIA

  • Bart Aronoff
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
      Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?

      In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO frequency.
      The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should this be?

      Thank you.

      Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
        Of course it's a typo.

        People don't need a nanny to tell them which dial frequency and offset
        to use. Even worse, the nanny says offset=750 Hz, which might not be
        such a good idea, because the 1st audio harmonic is still within the
        passband and not every TRX is 100% linear...

        Simply put:
        Calling frequencies (centre): 14.0744, 754, 784.

        --
        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

        Bart Aronoff wrote:
        > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
        >
        > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
        > frequency.
        > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
        > this be?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
        >
        > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
        >
        > > The Olivia frequency chart on
        > > http://hflink.com/olivia
        > >
        > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
        > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
        > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
        > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
        > >
        > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
        > > remains the same:
        > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
        > >
        > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
        > > remains the same:
        > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
        > >
        > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
        > > is added:
        > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
        > > HFLINK webmaster
      • jsodus
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
          Thanks, Bart, for your posting.
          I'm also new to Olivia and need a nanny. :)
          73 Jerry km3k

          Bart Aronoff wrote:
          > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
          >
          > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
          > frequency.
          > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
          > this be?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
          >
          > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
          >
          > > The Olivia frequency chart on
          > > http://hflink.com/olivia
          > >
          > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
          > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
          > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
          > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
          > >
          > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
          > > remains the same:
          > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
          > >
          > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
          > > remains the same:
          > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
          > >
          > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
          > > is added:
          > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
          > > HFLINK webmaster

          .

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • expeditionradio
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
            Thanks to all those who pointed out the
            typo error in one Olivia VFO frequency of the list.
            This has been corrected. The proper list is here:

            OLIVIA CALLING/ACTIVITY FREQS
            CENTER===VFO=====COMMON USE
            14074.4 14073.65 Alternate
            14075.4 14074.65 Primary
            14078.4 14077.65 Alternate

            The CENTER FREQUENCY is the most important!
            (popular digital mode softwares now use Center Freq)

            Early Olivia software used a fixed offset, brilliantly
            based upon the LOWEST TONE's BANDWIDTH of the Olivia
            transmit signal, to enable instant quick change
            between the different "flavors" of speeds and bandwidths
            (with lowest freq = 500Hz). See this image:

            http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia_flav.jpg

            By tradition, this original method of fixed offset
            is still used by many Olivia operators, so it is
            maintained as a legacy in the list as "VFO/Dial" frequency.

            At some point, the VFO/Dial column in the listing may be
            eliminated or replaced by some some better method.

            Regards,
            Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
            HFLINK webmaster

            > Bart Aronoff wrote:
            > > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
          • Jaak Hohensee
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2011
              1.10.2011 1:02, Gary L. Robinson kirjutas:
              > So who will push Olivia off this freq? At the rate JT65A and other
              > modes are spreading out the Olivia 20mtrs frequency will have to be
              > moved to channel 19 CB ...
              Does we need fixed ferquencies? Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
              and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
              Olivia 250/8 should be default for chat-ready cqing.

              Other consideration:
              Most of my JT65A QSO´s SNR better than -15dB. Contestia 250/32 (-18dB,
              12wpm) is at same range and to fix only one dx-channel per band. Of
              course 12wpm is slow, but not slower than JT65A.

              --
              73, Jaak
              es1hj
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
                Contestia is a good mode.
                But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
                that it turns off many possible users.

                And yes, I already know that it is intended to be
                a faster mode with easier use for contesting.

                Bonnie KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA

                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Jaak Hohensee <jaak.hohensee@...> wrote:
                > Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
                > and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
                > 73, Jaak
                > es1hj

              • Jaak Hohensee
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011

                  8.10.2011 10:29, expeditionradio kirjutas:
                  Contestia is a good mode.
                  But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
                  that it turns off many possible users.
                  Yes. The Contestia is bad choise for mode name. Gary, WB8ROL write:  It can best be described as "Olivia LITE" and additional information is available elsewhere on this site.  It is already my 2nd favorite mode and has a little magic of it's own too! http://www.oliviamode.com/aboutme.htm
                  OliviaLE (Light Edition) is better. Like DominoEX vrs Domino. How to originate the renaming?

                  --
                  73, Jaak
                  es1hj