Re: [olivia] Update 20m Olivia Freqs: HFLINK.COM/OLIVIA

  • Gary L. Robinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30 3:02 PM
      So who will push Olivia off this freq?  At the rate JT65A and other modes are spreading out the Olivia 20mtrs frequency will have to be moved to channel 19 CB ...

      ---Gary WB8ROL

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:54 AM, expeditionradio <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

      The Olivia frequency chart on
      http://hflink.com/olivia

      Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
      Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
      20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
      popular JT65A primary calling frequency!

      The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
      remains the same:
      CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)

      One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
      remains the same:
      CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)

      A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
      is added:
      CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)

      Regards,
      Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
      HFLINK webmaster

      --

      Gary L. Robinson
      WB8ROL

    • Bart Aronoff
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30 3:49 PM
        Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?

        In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO frequency.
        The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should this be?

        Thank you.

        Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
          Of course it's a typo.

          People don't need a nanny to tell them which dial frequency and offset
          to use. Even worse, the nanny says offset=750 Hz, which might not be
          such a good idea, because the 1st audio harmonic is still within the
          passband and not every TRX is 100% linear...

          Simply put:
          Calling frequencies (centre): 14.0744, 754, 784.

          --
          73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

          Bart Aronoff wrote:
          > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
          >
          > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
          > frequency.
          > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
          > this be?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
          >
          > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
          >
          > > The Olivia frequency chart on
          > > http://hflink.com/olivia
          > >
          > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
          > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
          > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
          > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
          > >
          > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
          > > remains the same:
          > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
          > >
          > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
          > > remains the same:
          > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
          > >
          > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
          > > is added:
          > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
          > > HFLINK webmaster
        • jsodus
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
            Thanks, Bart, for your posting.
            I'm also new to Olivia and need a nanny. :)
            73 Jerry km3k

            Bart Aronoff wrote:
            > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
            >
            > In the first two instances, the center frequency is higher than the VFO
            > frequency.
            > The opposite is true of the New Alternate Calling Frequency. What should
            > this be?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Bart/WH6AA, new to Olivia
            >
            > On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:54 PM, expeditionradio wrote:
            >
            > > The Olivia frequency chart on
            > > http://hflink.com/olivia
            > >
            > > Has been updated, specifically to delete an old
            > > Olivia 500 / MFSK Alternate Calling Frequency on
            > > 20 meters (14077.4 centre); it has become the very
            > > popular JT65A primary calling frequency!
            > >
            > > The Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Primary Calling Frequency
            > > remains the same:
            > > CENTRE=14075.4 VFO=14074.65 (PRIMARY CALLING FREQ)
            > >
            > > One existing Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
            > > remains the same:
            > > CENTRE=14078.4 VFO=14077.65 (Alternate Calling Freq)
            > >
            > > A new Olivia/MFSK/Contestia Alternate Calling Frequency
            > > is added:
            > > CENTRE=14074.4 VFO=14075.65 (New Alternate Calling Freq)
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
            > > HFLINK webmaster

            .

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • expeditionradio
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
              Thanks to all those who pointed out the
              typo error in one Olivia VFO frequency of the list.
              This has been corrected. The proper list is here:

              OLIVIA CALLING/ACTIVITY FREQS
              CENTER===VFO=====COMMON USE
              14074.4 14073.65 Alternate
              14075.4 14074.65 Primary
              14078.4 14077.65 Alternate

              The CENTER FREQUENCY is the most important!
              (popular digital mode softwares now use Center Freq)

              Early Olivia software used a fixed offset, brilliantly
              based upon the LOWEST TONE's BANDWIDTH of the Olivia
              transmit signal, to enable instant quick change
              between the different "flavors" of speeds and bandwidths
              (with lowest freq = 500Hz). See this image:

              http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia_flav.jpg

              By tradition, this original method of fixed offset
              is still used by many Olivia operators, so it is
              maintained as a legacy in the list as "VFO/Dial" frequency.

              At some point, the VFO/Dial column in the listing may be
              eliminated or replaced by some some better method.

              Regards,
              Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA
              HFLINK webmaster

              > Bart Aronoff wrote:
              > > Can you please help me understand if there is a typo here?
            • Jaak Hohensee
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2011
                1.10.2011 1:02, Gary L. Robinson kirjutas:
                > So who will push Olivia off this freq? At the rate JT65A and other
                > modes are spreading out the Olivia 20mtrs frequency will have to be
                > moved to channel 19 CB ...
                Does we need fixed ferquencies? Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
                and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
                Olivia 250/8 should be default for chat-ready cqing.

                Other consideration:
                Most of my JT65A QSO´s SNR better than -15dB. Contestia 250/32 (-18dB,
                12wpm) is at same range and to fix only one dx-channel per band. Of
                course 12wpm is slow, but not slower than JT65A.

                --
                73, Jaak
                es1hj
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
                  Contestia is a good mode.
                  But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
                  that it turns off many possible users.

                  And yes, I already know that it is intended to be
                  a faster mode with easier use for contesting.

                  Bonnie KQ6XA, VR2KQ6XA

                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Jaak Hohensee <jaak.hohensee@...> wrote:
                  > Contestia 250/8 seems new default format
                  > and freely in band somewhere after bpsk.
                  > 73, Jaak
                  > es1hj

                • Jaak Hohensee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011

                    8.10.2011 10:29, expeditionradio kirjutas:
                    Contestia is a good mode.
                    But it is such a bad choice for a mode name,
                    that it turns off many possible users.
                    Yes. The Contestia is bad choise for mode name. Gary, WB8ROL write:  It can best be described as "Olivia LITE" and additional information is available elsewhere on this site.  It is already my 2nd favorite mode and has a little magic of it's own too! http://www.oliviamode.com/aboutme.htm
                    OliviaLE (Light Edition) is better. Like DominoEX vrs Domino. How to originate the renaming?

                    --
                    73, Jaak
                    es1hj