30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend
When: June 4th and 5th
Where: 10 MHz - 30 Meter Band (10.100 10.150)
Objective: To promote experimenting and using different digital modes on the unique 30 Meter Band.
Those of you who want to participate using the more common modes of CW, BPSK31, RTTY, we welcome that, but those wanting to try other less used modes please do so and turn your RSID on to help others know what mode you are transmitting (common modes i.e. BPSK31/RTTY no need for RSID, do use RSID on the less common/exotic modes i.e. QBSK/HELL/MSK/DOMINOEX/THOR/THROB/CONTESTIA/OLIVIA/ECT).
A number of digital mode groups will be participating this weekend so if you have wanted to try out a new digital mode or make some contacts using less common digital modes this weekend might be of interest to you. There are a number of multi-mode digital software programs so this is also a chance to get on the 30 Meter Band to try them out. Most of them have RSID/TXID (Reed Solomon Identifier- automatic mode detection and tuning).
This event is NOT a contest
no set times
no winners other than those that participate with casual use of the 30 Meter Band knowing that others with like interests will be on this weekend to experiment, ragchew, DX and have some fun trying different digital modes!
Where on the 30 Meter Band to find different digital mode activity:
(Note: these are suggested only and observations of known digital mode activity)
10.100 10.130 CW
10.132 SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2
10.135 10.138 FeldHELL
10.138-10.140 JT65 (WSJT)
10.1405 PROPNET & PropNet Robots (BPSK31)
10.139-10.141 WSPR (QSO MODE-WSJT)
10.140 10.141 BPSK31 QRP
10.140 10.142 BPSK31 DX Region 1,2,3 (or BPSK/QPSK,31,63,125,<125hz)
10.142 10.145 RTTY,MFSK,THOR,THROB,DOMINO,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA,etc.
10.144 10.145 ROS (Region 2 note not legal in USA)
10.144 FeldHELL (Region 1)
10.144 SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 1
10.142 10.144 ALE-400hz
10.145 10.148 ALE-2khz
10.147 10.148 PSKMail/APRS
10.1491 10.1495 APRS
Operating hints for the weekend:
- Do use RSID (RXID/TXID) for the less common/exotic modes (i.e. Contestia,Olivia,Domino,etc)
- Do CQ with RSID for more than just a few of CQ's, don't expect to have someone to reply on a less common used mode the first few CQ's
give it a while for others to find you and the mode being used
- Do use good operating habits clean signal, lowest wattage to complete the QSO, QRL in common mode first, if band is busy or crowded spread out or use narrower width modes (i.e. if band is busy don't use OLIVIA 8/500 in the middle of the 30 Meter PSK 10.141 portion of the Band-not good operating habit if the band is busy and you will not make many friends)
- Do have fun and compare modes, wattage, antennas, etc with other operators that are interested to do the same..most the 30 Meter Digital Operators are not Call,599,73 most want a QSO (even DX)
- Do use http://www.HamSpots.net
for spotting, announcements of mode, etc.
- Do use the other digital ops with more experience most seasoned digital ops on 30 Meters are very helpful and will have the patience to help if needed
also might use and log on to HamSpots (link below)
Some reference links (only a few, there are many more modes/links):
If RSID is not being use please reference this link from FLDIGI on the Sight & Sounds of different digital modes that might help you determine what mode is being heard/seen on your waterfall:
CW 10.100 10.130
FeldHell - 10.132 10.136
SSTV MP73-N (<500hz) 10.132 (every Saturday Net 1700-1900z)
PropNet - 10.1405
WSJT JT65 10.139
PSK31 10.140 10.142
Try some PSK modes BPSK31,BPSK63,BPSK125,QPSK31,QPSK63,QPSK125
Olivia 10.142 10.145
Contestia 10.142 10.145
MFSK 10.142 10.144 (or even try MFSK SSTV/PICS)
ROS 10.143 10.145 (note: not legal in USA on HF)
Try Some Multi-Mode Digital Software (Most have RSID):
Or try them all
common modes of CW,RTTY,BPSK31, less common BPSK63/125,QPSK63/125,FeldHELL,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA,WSPR,WSJT
Log in and try the new HamSpots page for Digital Modes and Groups to announce what mode you are trying or if you are having trouble others can help:
Couple other links for multi-mode users:
***Please note we are secondary users of the 30 Meter Band and to use good operating procedures
Have fun and hope to see you on the waterfall!
Thanks from the 30 Meter Digital Group (30MDG) celebrating 5,000 members!
Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001