Re: [olivia] Re: Use of Olivia

  • Jaak Hohensee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      HNY 2011 to all,

      Olivia too slow in narrow band segment, better use Contestia.
      Some narrowband references - not only for QRP:
      http://digiqrp.blogspot.com/p/basic-modes-for-digiqrp.html

      73, Jaak
      es1hj

      1.01.2011 0:55, af6it kirjutas:

      Unfortunately a local RFI issue and just being too busy have kept me from being on for the past month or two, but when I can steal a couple minutes to try I always try Contestia or Olivia, often exclusively. Guess I'm just stubborn that way. Being nearly QRP (5-10W) these modes REALLY help extend my distance and allow me on longer when the band is fading. Quality before quantity in my book. Guess that is why I don't care for contesting, hi!

      Having just concluded two rather intense projects think I will try to get on this afternoon for a spell. Probably WARC bands. Just re-worked my Linux audio again after changing the sound card. Hoping my tx signal is stable...

      73 de Stu AF6IT

      --
      Kirjutas ja tervitab
      Jaak Hohensee

    • Chris Gerber
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi

        There is lots of acitivty with Olivia at the original founded
        frequency at 14106.500 Khz and 1khz up or down, which was there from the start.
        The mode there used is 1000/32 and the most robust one.
        The chatspeed is just fine, as every body can follow the slow typing speed.
        I know some US station dont like the frequency, because of the pactor and packet
        mailboxes, but we have been there before any of those modes even with MT63
        both Pawel originated modes..
        And even running constant Pactor traffic will not harm any Olivia qso
        So see you there and gl es Happy New Year

        73 Chris HB9BDM

        Am 31.12.2010 17:12, schrieb Jonathan Helis KB5IAV:

        > 1. Use of Olivia
        > Posted by: "n9aop2000" avidmar@... n9aop2000
        > Date: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 am ((PST))
        >
        > Olivia is used extensively by Army MARS. The favored is 2000/64 and while this is a bit slow, it does get through under the worst conditions. Hams tend to get bored early and often and this coupled with the many digital modes out there leads to a lack of an individual mode being seen very often. PSK31 is common and RTTY is plentiful during contests but the other modes are few and far between on the terrestrial HF bands.
        > Art

        A year or 2 back, there was actually a surge in Olivia activity when QST
        published an article about it. I tried it and made many QSOs with it,
        but then it slowed down.

        I still check out the Olivia frequencies from time to time and call CQ,
        but I rarely get a response these days. I occasionally find a QSO
        there, but not that often. There are just so many digital modes out
        there these days. With Olivia, I like the robustness of the mode, but
        it is kind of slow and since I like to ragchew, it isn't always
        practical to use.

        Lately I've been playing with DominoEX and having a good time on that.
        Not sure how robust it is yet, but more so than PSK31, but uses a little
        more bandwidth.

        Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.