Use of Olivia

  • n9aop2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2010
      Olivia is used extensively by Army MARS. The favored is 2000/64 and while this is a bit slow, it does get through under the worst conditions. Hams tend to get bored early and often and this coupled with the many digital modes out there leads to a lack of an individual mode being seen very often. PSK31 is common and RTTY is plentiful during contests but the other modes are few and far between on the terrestrial HF bands.
      Art
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
        I suppose that is why I have had only 2,112 Olivia QSO's in the last 3 years which inlcuding ones on 160 thru 6mtrs (except for 60mtrs which does not yet allow digital).

        I will admit though, that Olivia QSO's are RARE if you spend all your time on PSK and RTTY and never listen or put out calls Olivia .....

        ---Gary WB8ROL

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "n9aop2000" <avidmar@...> wrote:

        > Olivia is used extensively by Army MARS. The favored is 2000/64 and while this is a bit slow, it does get through under the worst conditions. Hams tend to get bored early and often and this coupled with the many digital modes out there leads to a lack of an individual mode being seen very often. PSK31 is common and RTTY is plentiful during contests but the other modes are few and far between on the terrestrial HF bands.
        > Art

      • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
          > 1. Use of Olivia
          > Posted by: "n9aop2000" avidmar@... n9aop2000
          > Date: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 am ((PST))
          >
          > Olivia is used extensively by Army MARS. The favored is 2000/64 and while this is a bit slow, it does get through under the worst conditions. Hams tend to get bored early and often and this coupled with the many digital modes out there leads to a lack of an individual mode being seen very often. PSK31 is common and RTTY is plentiful during contests but the other modes are few and far between on the terrestrial HF bands.
          > Art

          A year or 2 back, there was actually a surge in Olivia activity when QST
          published an article about it. I tried it and made many QSOs with it,
          but then it slowed down.

          I still check out the Olivia frequencies from time to time and call CQ,
          but I rarely get a response these days. I occasionally find a QSO
          there, but not that often. There are just so many digital modes out
          there these days. With Olivia, I like the robustness of the mode, but
          it is kind of slow and since I like to ragchew, it isn't always
          practical to use.

          Lately I've been playing with DominoEX and having a good time on that.
          Not sure how robust it is yet, but more so than PSK31, but uses a little
          more bandwidth.

          Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
          Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
        • Mike M
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
            I CQ on 20m (14.075.65) in Olivia almost every time I fire up my
            radio. I've noticed that the JT65 folks are sliding down into that
            Olivia calling frequency, so I have ben moving down and calling on
            14.075.60. Haven't gotten a response, but I keep trying!

            73,
            Mike, KL7MJ
          • af6it
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
              Unfortunately a local RFI issue and just being too busy have kept me from being on for the past month or two, but when I can steal a couple minutes to try I always try Contestia or Olivia, often exclusively. Guess I'm just stubborn that way. Being nearly QRP (5-10W) these modes REALLY help extend my distance and allow me on longer when the band is fading. Quality before quantity in my book. Guess that is why I don't care for contesting, hi!

              Having just concluded two rather intense projects think I will try to get on this afternoon for a spell. Probably WARC bands. Just re-worked my Linux audio again after changing the sound card. Hoping my tx signal is stable...

              73 de Stu AF6IT

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

              > I suppose that is why I have had only 2,112 Olivia QSO's in the last 3 years which inlcuding ones on 160 thru 6mtrs (except for 60mtrs which does not yet allow digital).
              >
              > I will admit though, that Olivia QSO's are RARE if you spend all your time on PSK and RTTY and never listen or put out calls Olivia .....
              >
              > ---Gary WB8ROL
            • Jaak Hohensee
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
                HNY 2011 to all,

                Olivia too slow in narrow band segment, better use Contestia.
                Some narrowband references - not only for QRP:
                http://digiqrp.blogspot.com/p/basic-modes-for-digiqrp.html

                73, Jaak
                es1hj

                1.01.2011 0:55, af6it kirjutas:

                --
                Kirjutas ja tervitab
                Jaak Hohensee

              • Chris Gerber
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Hi

                  There is lots of acitivty with Olivia at the original founded
                  frequency at 14106.500 Khz and 1khz up or down, which was there from the start.
                  The mode there used is 1000/32 and the most robust one.
                  The chatspeed is just fine, as every body can follow the slow typing speed.
                  I know some US station dont like the frequency, because of the pactor and packet
                  mailboxes, but we have been there before any of those modes even with MT63
                  both Pawel originated modes..
                  And even running constant Pactor traffic will not harm any Olivia qso
                  So see you there and gl es Happy New Year

                  73 Chris HB9BDM