Quiet?

  • NW7US
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 18, 2010
      Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?

      I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!

      73 de NW7US
      http://prop.hfradio.org/
    • af6it
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 18, 2010
        I haven't been on much lately. When I do get a chance it is almost always calling CQ on Olivia or Contestia on a WARC band. I occasionally get a QSO even! Hoping to get more chance with fall upon us then winter to see how ten points solar flux increase will play out in reality. Not sure whether Olivia will be a hot mode, yet convinced it will prove a successful mode! When we're the only ones making QSO's (along with the CW crowd for the most part) Olivia ought to become more popular. But then again some typical hams seem content to go with whatever easy well worn ruts they are comfortable with. Me, why be typical? :-)

        73 de Stu AF6IT

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "NW7US" <nw7us@...> wrote:

        > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
        >
        > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!
        >
        > 73 de NW7US
        > http://prop.hfradio.org/

      • KEN GINN
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
          Hi all,

          Olivia in my experience is one of the most under used modes communication on ham bands. But one when I have used it I have to admit it to be my favourite of the all the digi modes. I am hoping now we have autumn with use we may see a flurry of activity?

          Here in the UK, I find 30m the best band for digi, and you can always rely on activity here almost 24 hours a day, so give 30m a try. 20m is active, but much less so than 30.

          Hope to see you on 30/20m.

          Ken G8NDL

        • Arthur W. Ammann
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010

            Hi OM NW7US,

            Will be active too on the usual Olivia frequencies  16 / 500 and 32 / 1000 between 1200 – 1600 and 1800 – 2100 UTC.

            Have a nice weekend

            Arthur, HB9LAM

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
              Hello I sometimes work Peter VE7NBQ who has been very active on OLIVIA mode even when condition has been poor.
              I have been active on PSK31 and perhaps if I work you 20m then we could switch over to OLIVIA.

              I take it that NW7 is Washing State which shouldn't be that difficult on 20m provided your noise level is kept low.

              I haven't worked any OLIVIA stations for the last two weeks as I have a better chance on PSK31 or should I say not many are on OLIVIA.

              Looking forward to meeting you on the waterfall.

              Aisea (3D2AA)

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                Hi all,

                Last times more often seen Contestia 250/8.
                Gary WB8ROL: It sounds and looks (on waterfall) just like Olivia.  I refer to it often as Olivia LITE and it's an excellent mode. http://www.oliviamode.com/Contestia.htm
                How to rename Contestia to OlivaiLE?

                73, Jaak
                es1hj

                19.09.2010 9:21, af6it kirjutas:

                --
                Kirjutas ja tervitab
                Jaak Hohensee

              • w0yse
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                  I have answered some Olivia CQs from time to time, but I find it a bit too slow for normal use. It is very good for poor conditions, however.

                  Neil in Utah

                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "NW7US" <nw7us@...> wrote:

                  > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
                  >
                  > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!
                  >
                  > 73 de NW7US
                  > http://prop.hfradio.org/

                • Hal
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                    Arthur,
                    Same here.  I have been calling my little RSID heart out in Olivia and haven't got anything.
                    I will keep my ears open.
                    73,
                    Have a great week
                    Hal
                    WD4MDA

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                      Yeah I have been playing with HELL mode forsaking all others...

                      Bryan
                      KJ4QZJ
                    • pseudospark
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                        A few of us in Maine have been using Olivia 8/500 for a weekly local net but I had a chance opportunity to have an extended QSO on 20 meters a few weeks ago. While (a lot) slower than BPSK31 it was great for a pleasant ragchew and went on for something over 1/2 hour. As fall settles in I hope to be doing more with Olivia.

                        Steve, KB1TCE

                        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "NW7US" <nw7us@...> wrote:

                        > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
                        >
                        > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!
                        >
                        > 73 de NW7US
                        > http://prop.hfradio.org/

                      • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                          > 1a. Quiet?
                          > Posted by: "NW7US" nw7us@... nw7us
                          > Date: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:36 pm ((PDT))
                          >
                          > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
                          >
                          > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!
                          >
                          > 73 de NW7US
                          > http://prop.hfradio.org/

                          Olivia activty has been quiet lately, although I did work a station in
                          Illinois a couple of weeks ago. A year or 2 ago when QST published an
                          article about the mode, there was an increase in Olivia on the air, but
                          it has died back down again.

                          Lately, I've been experimenting with calling on multiple digital modes.
                          I've been calling CQ on PSK31 and if I don't get a response, I switch
                          to MFSK16 or DominoEX or sometimes Olivia. Seems I find more takers on
                          DominoEX and MFSK16 than I do Olivia it seems, but I will keep trying
                          and if anyone hears me, give me a call.

                          Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                          Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                        • Tomas Hood
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                            Well, I am up on 20m with Olivia 16/500, calling CQ from Montana. At 1430
                            UTC (19 Sept 2010) - hope to find someone on there.

                            73 de NW7US, Tomas David Hood ( <http://tomas-david-hood.com> )

                            Contributing editor, Propagation Columns:
                            CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications

                            Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/spacewx.hfradio>
                            Main: <http://prop.hfradio.org/>

                            Twitter Space WX : @hfradiospacewx
                            Twitter NW7US : @NW7US

                            Linux User #32405 - Since 1996

                            The information contained in this communication is confidential,
                            proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s). If you are not the
                            intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
                            dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication, or
                            unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
                            recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY,
                            OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT
                          • Tomas Hood
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                              For what it is worth: I, too, have been trying other modes. I tend not to
                              use PSK31, because there are so many using it... I want to try new
                              territory. So, I am using JT65A with the JT65-HF software. See:
                              <http://facebook.com/jt65mode> for information (links).

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                                I have had 26 Olivia or Contestia QSO's this month. 14 Contestia, 12 Olivia. 22 were using my Flex 1500 at 4 watts.
                                Most were on 30 and 40mtrs but a few on 20mtrs and 80mtrs.
                                My total of Olivia QSO's in last 3 years is now 1,815 and very few of those were the typical 500 QSL 73 PSK type.

                                I pretty much think of Contestia as being Olivia LITE since it was derived from Olivia and is not all that different. I would even suggest that this group might even want to consider changing it's focus and perhaps even it's name to OliviaContestiadata. Olivia can be configured 40 different ways. As far as I am concerned you could add the 40 different ways Contestia can be configured and just say olivia can be configured 80 ways hi hi

                                I worked my 44th country on Olivia 500/16 Friday on 20mtrs - Greece. I still hear fair amount of Olivia or Contestia every day I turn on the rig BUT most of it has been on 30 and 40mtrs. And when I don't hear it I call CQ and usually get a contact or two. Lots of DX stations don't seem to use Olivia or Contestia AND my station is LOW profile or I am sure my DX country count would be better.

                                As I am typing I see and copy N0WVU on Contestia 250/8 on 20mtrs.

                                Yes, there is a lot more PSK activity and that will probably not change much. Most PSKers want short QSO's and don't really want to spend a lot of time on the radio unless that time consists of short QSO's for DX countries, awards, or contests. The ARRL pushes contesting to ensure it's own survival and many hams have gotten in to that type of activity and don't see any reason to use other modes. They see great value in this type of activity.

                                Then there is what I call REAL ham radio. Those of us who, while we might like DXing or contesting some, also like to have real chats and get to know one another. I suspect we will remain a minority for now and the future.

                                I had a good chuckle reading an early post where (can't remember name now) the person said that Contestia 250/4 might have some value - and by reference implied Olivia did not since - it was too slow. For him and many others that may very well be true. For many of us we see great value in using Olivia and Contestia in a LOT of configurations. And I personally see very little value to running RTTY or PSK since I seldom can hold a QSO in those modes for more than a few minutes without losing copy or the station doesn't want to chat. BTW, the reason I chuckled about the comment that Contestia 250/4 'may have value' is because I feel just the opposite. It is faster BUT it does not copy as well 250/8 and other configs with more tones. If I want a faster mode that doesn't copy as well I could just go use PSK hi hi Of course, his comment, is valid from his own perspective.

                                My current personal favorite is Contestia 125/4 which is about 20wpm and takes up only 125hz bandwidth. Same speed as Olivia 500/16 and as far as I can tell gets through just as well. However, being more narrow it does not survive QRM as well.

                                I also like 250/8 Contestia which is 30wpm and a great chat mode when condition are a little better than miserable. It is fairly comparable to Olivia 500/8 (about same speed) but half the bandwidth.

                                However, when the going gets rough and/or you're using QRP 250/8 and 500/16 Olivia are still my mainstay.

                                Everybody is going to do what serves them best and apparently the majority of digital operators feel well served by RTTY and PSK. I would assume that most of these operators are into accumulating DX countries, states, and other awards. And I would assume many are into contesting. I'm also sure some do ragchew too - with their amplifiers and/or towers and beams.

                                Frankly, though, if there were NOT better modes like Olivia, Contestia, and others I would sell my equipment and go inactive.

                                BTW, Now I see W1OER on Olivia and N6CRR on Contestia on 20mtrs side by side as I type this ...

                                ---Gary WB8ROL

                                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "NW7US" <nw7us@...> wrote:

                                > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
                                >
                                > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!
                                >
                                > 73 de NW7US
                                > http://prop.hfradio.org/

                              • Warren Moxley
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                                  Gary,

                                  Do you have a spreadsheet or table of Contestia and Olivia with DB, Bandwidth, WPM so I can tell what config to use to match the conditions?

                                  Thx,

                                  UR Friend,
                                  Warren / K5WGM
                                  73

> [...]

                                  Frankly, though, if there were NOT better modes like Olivia, Contestia, and others I would sell my equipment and go inactive.

                                  BTW, Now I see W1OER on Olivia and N6CRR on Contestia on 20mtrs side by side as I type this ...

                                  ---Gary WB8ROL

                                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "NW7US" <nw7us@...> wrote:

                                  > Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?
                                  >
                                  > I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!

                                • Chris Gerber
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
                                    Hi to all

                                    The frequenc 14106.5 khz is always watchen and worked every day by me Chris HB9BDM, Fred OH/DK4ZC AND Altti OH2HN and many othere on the mode 1000/32 and lots of good DX qso to the USA, JA and VK are estastablished. This is the case for since we started Olivia several years ago, and we have been missing loining stations.
                                    So please join in or watch the frequency.

                                    73 Chris HB9BDM

                                    Am 19.09.2010 07:36, schrieb NW7US:

                                    Messages in this group are few, lately. How is Olivia working out lately, for all of you? We're moving into the Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) DX Season. Will Olivia be a hot mode this season?

                                    I'll be trying my hand on 20m off and on, throughout the next week. I hope to find stations on air!

                                    73 de NW7US
                                    http://prop.hfradio.org/

                                  • Juergen
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 21, 2010
                                      14074.90 / 10140.75, USB + 1500 Hz in Olivia 16/500: I am calling CQ quite often after 22.00 / 23.00 UTC but no response over the last couple of weeks when I come from work. The majority seems to be active in JT65 (I am using JT65-HF as well if there is no success in Olivia).

                                      The next months I will probably do more on 3581 + 1500 Hz USB again when conditions will improve on 80.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 21, 2010
                                        Warren,
                                        I don't have a spread sheet or even complete information on all the configurations of contestia or olivia.

                                        However, I'll try and explain how I use the modes depending on conditions.

                                        IF I am going to be calling CQ I think it makes more sense to use Olivia or Contestia configs that are more well known OR at least have a RSID number to them to help increase my chances of getting a reply.

                                        I use the following modes for calling CQ's depending on band conditions:

                                        1. Olivia 125/4 (for worst band conditions)
                                        2. Olivia 250/8
                                        3. Contestia 125/8
                                        4. Olivia 500/16
                                        5. Contestia 125/4
                                        6. Contestia 250/8
                                        7. Olivia 500/8 ((for best band conditions)

                                        The above modes are the ones I use most frequently when calling CQ. I don't do a whole lot of 1000 and 2000hz Olivia but I do some. I prefer to generally use configs that are 15 - 30wpm. And I prefer to use the most narrow mode that I can if possible. That is why Contestia 125/4 is becoming very popular to me since it is about 20wpm and only 125hz wide and is as good as 500/16 Olivia AND is now supported by RSID.

                                        When I am already in QSO and conditions get worse AND the station I am in QSO with can do ALL or most of the configurations - I often suggest using non standard configs and just add more tones. For instance - IF I am talking in 250/8 (contestia OR olivia) and conditions get worse then I often suggest to the other station to go to 250/16 (double tones) which will decode even better THOUGH it will also be slower. More tones equals better decoding below noise level while LESS tones means FASTER speed but not as good decoding.

                                        It would be hard to even make a single spreadsheet for best modes to use for different band conditions because some people have preferences for SPEED and BANDWIDTH that override sensitivity considerations.

                                        Theoretically the ultimate best configuration of Olivia to use for getting through is 125/256. The MOST narrow bandwidth with the MOST tones - because you get all the benefits of a narrow bandwidth for concentrating your power into a smaller space AND the benefits of digging deeper into the noise with the 256 tones.

                                        The downside to 125/256 is that only a couple programs support this mode (or for that matter ALL of the Olivia and Contestia configs). AND all the non standard olivia and contestia configs are not supported by RSID. And the speed would be extremely slow - maybe slower than JT65A. I suspect I would not get many answers to my CQ if I spent all day CQing on 125/256. And finishing a QSO in 125/256 would take a LONG time hi hi.

                                        The theoretically worst mode would be 2000/2 which would be the widest bandwidth and least tones. It would be the highest speed attainable BUT would have the poorest decoding properties. This configuration, in my opinion, has NO advantage on HF bands but might possibly have a use on VHF/UHF.

                                        I know you wanted a more simple explanation but I think a simple spreadsheet would not be adequate to cover all the considerations that are involved.

                                        ---Gary WB8ROL

                                        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Warren Moxley <k5wgm@...> wrote:

                                        > Gary,
                                        >
                                        > Do you have a spreadsheet or table of Contestia and Olivia with DB, Bandwidth, WPM so I can tell what config to use to match the conditions?
                                        >
                                        > Thx,
                                        >
                                        > UR Friend,
                                        > Warren / K5WGM
                                        > 73

                                      • Warren Moxley
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 21, 2010
                                          Thanks Gary.
                                          I must  have got it wrong. I also though that wider BW with the same tones also helps get thru the noise. If not what does a wider BW do for you?

                                          Warren / K5WGM

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                                            Warren,
                                            The wide modes definitely handle QRM and perhaps QRN better than the more narrow modes. To illustrate ... I was on the air last year having a QSO on Olivia 250/8 and a contest actually STARTED right during the QSO. It killed off my QSO quickly when numerous CW stations came on top of us calling CQ TEST hi hi
                                            I switched over to Olivia 1000/32 and called the station I had been working and after a few calls he came back and we continued the QSO for 30 more minutes with 95% copy despite tons of QRM. I had about the same thing happen before with another contest (RTTY) too and I switched to 2000/32 and had a 75 min ragchew right over top of tons of contesters with 99% accurate copy. I assume the contesters could not hear me since I was not running a KW or perhaps they did hear me and did not care. Apparently contesters think that sending QRL and checking frequencies for use is not covered by F.C.C. rules. Apparently the A.R.R.L. holds that same belief too.
                                            I have not done any definitive tests but I "believe" wider modes also handle static crashes and many types of QRN better too.
                                            I like narrow modes BUT the wider modes do have their place when it comes to QRM and QRN. Maybe even QSB, but again, I am only going on "gut instinct" on that.
                                            And of course, wider modes can also be faster. 500/16 (standard Olivia mode) is about 20wpm, for example, while the 1000/32 (standard Olivia mode) is about 25wpm. More than a few MARS nets use Olivia 2000/8 for message traffic when MT63 and other modes fail because Olivia 2000/8 is very fast AND still more robust than most other modes (even though 500/16, 250/8, 125/4, and many other Olivia configs get through better BUT they are too slow for most message handling).